Research on missing case, need assistance

Justice4Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi,
So I'm looking for a missing person who disappeared in 1992. There was barely any recognition of the disappearance, so it has made it nearly impossible to find information. I want to talk to the family, but before I do I want to see if the police will let me access the file. I'm not sure if I'd be stirring up trouble, but I need to at least know how to go about requesting the records or if I can. I'm not media. I've looked into the law regarding open records requests in my state, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to go. Any advice?

Find every newspaper article you can, take good notes. Is there a thread here for the missing person? We have posters who are very good with certain types of information -- yearbook pictures, arrest records, all sorts of things.

Availability of records will vary. Some jurisdictions may say that nothing is released in an open case.

Provide name, location, date last seen, and a supporting link & we'll get to work.

jmho ymmv lrr

QUOTE="Justice4Tinhorn, post: 17239479, member: 229198"]Hi,
So I'm looking for a missing person who disappeared in 1992. There was barely any recognition of the disappearance, so it has made it nearly impossible to find information. I want to talk to the family, but before I do I want to see if the police will let me access the file. I'm not sure if I'd be stirring up trouble, but I need to at least know how to go about requesting the records or if I can. I'm not media. I've looked into the law regarding open records requests in my state, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to go. Any advice?[/QUOTE]
Just adding a few notable suggestions on to the perfect explaination posted by Laughing. As long as there is or was a person under the age of 18 there is not any LEO agencies that will make public a casefile due to the minors age. EDIT ATTEMPTED BY MYSELF TO CLEAN MY CONFUSING MESS OF A POST UP! NO SUCH LUCK. I APOLOGISE! J4W

Last edited:
How does one approach the local police department to inquire about the current status of a local unsolved missing person case?
Can you just call them up and say, “ Hey, I’ve been wondering about “Ms. Smith” and since she’s still missing several years later, what have you found, are you still actively looking for her, have you just given up on her?”, etc.?

How does one approach the local police department to inquire about the current status of a local unsolved missing person case?
Can you just call them up and say, “ Hey, I’ve been wondering about “Ms. Smith” and since she’s still missing several years later, what have you found, are you still actively looking for her, have you just given up on her?”, etc.?
You can contact the police department directly but most likely they will want you to file a FOIA request for whatever information you are asking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in the same predicament - 1988 missing person cold case, very little publicity & I’m not a family member.

Here’s what I did (we’ll know in a couple days if it worked)…

1. Contacted a City Council person. Mine had no idea this case even existed. See if they will support a new inquiry. (Who would say no to this, right?)
  2. Contacted the mayor and police chief and gave them a courtesy email letting them know I’m coming to the next city council meeting to request a new inquiry.
  3. Most cities have an open session during city Council meetings where anybody can get up and speak for a few minutes about anything. I will be asking for a renewed investigation, in public and on TV.
  4. I invited the victims family and anyone who wants to support their cause to come to the meeting and either speak or just attend.
  5. Promote the hell out of the council meeting on social media.
I thought about trying to get the police report through a freedom of information act but that takes time and since I’m not a family member it might get denied. Plus, if the police department incorrectly denied my request, I don’t have the time or resources to fight them. Additionally, I don’t really want to be in a fight with the police department. Not trying to make them look bad just trying to instigate some new action.

I’m hoping public pressure may make officials want to get this case on the radar again.

In my limited experience, the police don't respond to requests like this unless you're family with those involved.

Really tempted to write to the state attorney general about the case I’m interested in but I really don’t think anything will come from it. Can you get a reinvestigation if the local police at the time were proven to be incompetent in other cases?

You can always file a FOIA request, it doesn't mean it would get approved but that would be a good first step. There is a bill (HR 3359: Homicide Victims Families Rights Act of 2021) that is in the process of (hopefully!) becoming a law, that would allow families to request a full reinvestigation of every aspect of the case.

<modsnip: Linking to non-approved, random website is not allowed>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong