Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 1/9-1/12 Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 5s5 seconds ago Phoenix, AZ
Nurmi- The COA didn't say you were wrong judge. We have 14 witnesses that now can't help Jodi. #Jodiarias #3tvarias

Cathy ‏@courtchatter 9s10 seconds ago
Nurmi: we have a mentally ill woman in #JodiArias. Hmmm, Let me review that defense in the murder case...oh wait...

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts 16s17 seconds ago
Nurmi citing the court's reasoning in closing the courtroom to the judge. Which was ruled unconnstitutional. Not sure how that works.

Steve Krafft ‏@SKrafftFox10 29s29 seconds ago
#jodiarias atty: "Ms. Arias' ability to present a case for life should not be hampered by the state's malfeasance."
I wish JM would respond to this point by saying "Travis Alexander's ability to continue to live should not have been hampered by Jodi Arias malfeasance"

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 9s10 seconds ago Phoenix, AZ
Nurmi- State said we can subpoena but it's not that easy and doesn't apply to all witnesses. #jodiarias #3tvarias

It's not easy to take a sensible and realistic approach to lawyerin, when there's all these motions to dismiss to file, and big greasy tears to cry. Got it.

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 17s18 seconds ago Phoenix, AZ
Nurmi- We have 14 witnesses that now can't help Jodi. The DP just can't be pursued #jodiarias #3tvarias

Steve Krafft ‏@SKrafftFox10 21s22 seconds ago
#jodiarias atty: the only viable option is to dismiss the death penalty because ms. arias cannot present a full case for life.

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts 27s28 seconds ago
Martinez is up. #JodiArias

I had to walk away right after Nurmi started. That's a record for me. If it wasn't for the great camaraderie here, I would stay away.

From MK Twitter:

Michael Kiefer @michaelbkiefer · 32s 33 seconds ago

"The only option is to dismiss death against Ms. Arias," Nurmi said. #JodiArias

Steve Krafft ‏@SKrafftFox10 28s29 seconds ago
prosecutor: no attempts #jodiarias atty tried to subpoena witnesses who could testify about her good side.

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts 26s27 seconds ago
FINALLY. Martinez brings up subpoenas. Says there were no attempts to subpoena anyone. #JodiArias

Mike Watkiss ‏@mikewatkiss3tv 1m1 minute ago
"Egregious misconduct" "malfeasance"-Nurmi's description of Martinez's behavior #jodiarias #3tvarias

Question:
Can CMJA turn around and use the fact that John Smith testified under a Pseudonym on appeal? And JSS allowed it, therefore some impropriety?

No.

Thanks for your response Frigga. With so much going on, it’s impossible to remember everything correctly all the time but I’m glad to know that if a judge is rescued, the trial would just continue.

I found an interesting article titled “Deciding Recusal Motions, Who Judges the Judges” which stated in part, “Judicial impartiality is a significant element of justice. Judges should decide legal disputes free of any personal bias or prejudice. As a result of a conflict of interest, a judge may be unable to maintain impartiality in a case and thus should be disqualified. Even where a judge is impartial, but appears not to be, recusal is necessary.”

I think any reasonable person following this case couldn’t deny at the very least, that Sherry gives the appearance of being bias.

She does not. I guarantee you KN and JW think she is biased against the defense.

Nothing has changed. They've used video of hearings in this retrial before and, to my knowledge, JSS never said the video from today couldn't be used.

She said no video until after the verdict unless she makes a special exception.

AZLawyer can clarify, but as far as I understand it- Juan has the right to cross her. If she refuses, then all of her previous testimony in this phase is stricken from the record.

Or perhaps it could be recharacterized as "allocution." Or Juan could use video from the prior trial as cross if she didn't say anything new.

From MK Twitter:

Michael Kiefer @michaelbkiefer · 8s 9 seconds ago

Nurmi calls #JodiArias the "most crucial witness of all."

Calls her mentally ill.

Says court cannot claim she waived her right to mitigation

:rolleyes: OMG ... now JA is "mentally ill" ... get it right, Nurmi, she is pure evil !

Let's ask Demartes, shall we? Laurence sure likes to throw in foregone conclusions now- as if the judge is that stupid.

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts 11s12 seconds ago
because he can't cross examiine it. #JodiArias

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts 8s9 seconds ago
Martinez says there's video of the "secret testimony' that could be used. And he even admits it hurts prosecution. #JodiArias

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 12s13 seconds ago Phoenix, AZ
Juan- No attempts to subpoena these witness have been done. There no evidence if you subpoena them they won't be truthful as Nurmi states

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 20s20 seconds ago Phoenix, AZ
Juan says he wants the affidavits of these witnesses because he doesn't have them. #jodiarias #3tvarias

From MK Twitter:

Michael Kiefer @michaelbkiefer · 46s 46 seconds ago

Juan Martinez says there were no attempts to subpoena the fearful witnesses. He does not believe they would be less truthful. #JodiArias

Finally :juanettes:

This is hilarious. If she was so mentally ill, they should gone for an insanity defense.

I'm getting confused. Is she not going to testify because she's afraid to testify or because she's mentally ill? He seems to have switched to the latter. Might be the first case ever of someone whose mental illness is triggered by whether or not a camera is running.

But he still returns to she won't testify and it's not her fault, so DP should be off the table. How does somebody like him keep a straight face?

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 30s30 seconds ago Phoenix, AZ
Juan is suggesting they use audiotape for these witnesses even though it gives him a disadvantage. #Jodiarias #3tvarias

From MK Twitter:

Michael Kiefer @michaelbkiefer · 8s 9 seconds ago

Martinez asks why defense did not provide affidavits or video interviews

Puh lease. I don't think there are 14 freaking people with glowing reviews of JA that all somehow think they are above the law and should receive this very special treatment.
This ridiculous claim almost makes me want JSS to say 'Ok Nurms, you know what, you've GOT YOUR SECRECY! Bring em on, I'd love to meet these folks!'
And thus begins the parade of imaginary friends.
Y

You'll have to wear those super secret glasses tho. Only way the "see" invisible people.

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 25s26 seconds ago Phoenix, AZ
Juan- Geffner met with this out of the country witness and he told Geffner TA abused Deanna Reid #jodiarias #3tvarias

It's an excuse for why they didn't find child *advertiser censored*. We just didn't have time, you see. Even though we've been looking since August.

Also, MK got that one wrong. It's not an ex girlfriend who claims TA was abusive and another person who claims TA was viewing child *advertiser censored*. It's the same person, Mark McGee.

Steve Krafft ‏@SKrafftFox10 17s18 seconds ago
re *advertiser censored* and computer: it seems more likely person viewing the *advertiser censored* was the person making the claim and not mr. alexander. #jodiarias

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts 26s27 seconds ago
Martinez says he'd accept audio or video interviews of the witnesses they wanted #JodiArias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SGS3030