Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/10 - Break

Discussion in 'Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias' started by LambChop, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElleElle

ElleElle Well-Known Member

It was a motion to preclude DeMarte.

2. Hope4More

Hope4More Well-Known Member

I would actually very much value his recountings if he wrote as just that..the 13th juror. Not speaking for the jury as a whole (he can't any more than any of us can), but as a recent juror hearing, processing, and reporting testimony as if he were on the jury. THAT would be interesting.

Take his inaccurate portrayal of T's grandmother reading that vile letter, veiled and ready to go to T's funeral. Is that how he actually heard the testimony? If he heard it that way maybe a real juror did too. Maybe that's the emotional impact the letter had on the jury. Or did he simply embellish the story because he is after all there to tell a story? The embellishing muddies the waters.

3. ElleElle

ElleElle Well-Known Member

I'm a body language person myself. It speaks louder than words in many cases.

4. Mindmatters

Mindmatters New Member

Nice to get this info, I had wondered where the info came from that a psychologist was a juror--I believe someone posted that juror #1 was a psych but didn't clarify where the report originated. I have been rather skeptical that there is a juror who is a psych because, as I had posted yesterday, none of the juror questions sounded to me like a psych. However, I also thought that, while it didn't seem likely, this particular person just might not be asking questions.

Thanks for posting this KP and Memoriesbymichelle.

5. Diggin

Diggin New Member

I liked the Ambien post that said:

* He left the Lisa in the LuvSak to check it out

6. Diggin

Diggin New Member

By golly, everyone here on WS is right. No one here is wrong! It just depends on which tweeter person we hear!
    ROTFLACGU !!

7. Retrofit

Retrofit New Member

I believe the reason the sentence could be that way is because of the numerous counts.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2015/01/27/vandebilt-rape-trial-verdict-breakdown/22385025/

Cory Batey was found guilty of:

Count 1: aggravated rape, anal penetration with fingers

Count 2: aggravated rape, vaginal penetration with fingers

Count 3: aggravated rape, mouth penetration with penis

Count 4: attempted aggravated rape, vaginal penetration with penis

Count 5: aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for anal penetration with water bottle by Brandon Banks

Count 6: aggravated sexual battery, contact with private areas

Count 7: aggravated sexual battery, slapping of buttocks

Brandon Vandenburg was found guilty of:

Count 1: aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for Batey's anal penetration with fingers

Count 2: aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for Batey's vaginal penetration with fingers

Count 3: aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for Batey's mouth penetration with penis

Count 4: attempted aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for Batey's vaginal penetration with penis

Count 5: aggravated rape, criminal responsibility for anal penetration with water bottle by Brandon Banks

Count 6: aggravated sexual battery, criminal responsibility for contact with private areas

Count 7: aggravated sexual battery, slapping of buttocks

Count 8: tampering with evidence by destruction of condoms after rape

Count 9: unlawful photography, by sending images to others

Sentencing overview

Sentencing will be addressed at a hearing on March 6. Batey and Vandenburg were taken to prison Tuesday.

Aggravated rape is a class A felony carrying a penalty of 15 to 60 years.

Aggravated sexual battery is a class B felony penalized by eight to 30 years.

Unlawful photography is a class E felony with a possible prison term of one to six years.

Tampering with evidence is a class C offense that carries a penalty of three to 15 years.

Neither defendant has a felony conviction history, which could factor into sentencing. Findings of guilt on aggravated charges carry mandatory minimum sentences.

Across the state in 2013, aggravated sexual battery convictions led to prison sentences of an average of just more than 11 years.

Aggravated rape and aggravated sexual battery are "100 percent" crimes, meaning anyone sentenced to the 25-year maximum would serve that time in full.

If you have read or seen any of the coverage detailing exactly what these guys did to that poor unconscious girl you might feel differently. Taking and sharing videos and laughing about what they did like she deserved it, etc. Nasty! You should watch the 20/20 show they did that shows some of the video of them hauling her out of the car and into the room, etc.

8. Paintr

Paintr New Member

:eek: Read this article and was amazed at how well it also fitted Arias' actions. (minus the children, thank the powers that be)

9. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

Well, this is the first I've heard of this. :gaah: So I'm thinking, should we / I be worried. Idk, maybe not, in a way it might be a relief, at least in the big picture considering that this has all turned into little more than a big joke of a show anyway, thanks to Nurmi and Willmott's Three Ring Circus .... Yeah, Ringling Brothers, eat your heart out. Hopefully JSS will show some backbone if it comes down to her being the one to impose the sentencing. I hope I don't sound PO'd, I don't mean to, but I really am. :stormingmad:

10. little ole me

little ole me New Member

This would have been a good time for TA to have actually pulled that Lion Backer thing JA claimed, and did that body slam move, I bet she would have thought twice before she intruded again!

11. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say, other than if FinallyRegistered actually took Ambien, they are no longer with us right now. ;)

12. T-4-2

T-4-2 Member

I'd say that manipulation requires intent -- you behave in a deliberate way in order to achieve a certain, specific outcome. As opposed to, say, passive aggression. There's still a specific desired outcome, but I don't think passive aggressive people know that they're behaving in a passive aggressive manner. If they know full well what they're doing, them it's manipulation. Jodi knows full well what she's doing. IMO.

13. Amster

Amster Well-Known Member

Being made fun of isn't being "snarky"...it's being hurtful. Personally, I see nothing amusing about it.

14. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

So Kiefer said ' Light OUT' , but both BK and Jen said ' Light ON.'

15. T-4-2

T-4-2 Member

Was it in this trial or the previous one where he referred to Jodi as "a mentally ill girl?" Mentally ill yet able to plan and carry out a complicated murder? And "young girl?" Please.

16. Hope4More

Hope4More Well-Known Member

Well, it's lights OUT for Hope-lessly snarky. :D. Looking forward to the work of trial resuming tomorrow. Breaks are too exhausting. :bed:

17. Gilligan

Gilligan Member

I was doing a crossword puzzle last week one of the clues was spin around, first think that popped into my head was Jodi Arias, of course there weren't enough letters.

18. Ranchgirl

Ranchgirl Active Member

Anyone know? Because of the AZ Supreme Court ruling, does JM get to cross JA on what she has already testified to in secret? Thx

19. iforget

iforget New Member

That's it!! There was no switch, brilliant.

20. kaRN

kaRN Verified Health Professional - Registered Nurse

I've been wondering about this as well. From her words alone, I sense no remorse but transcripts don't portray body language so it's hard to say. One thing I find very telling is the fact JW doesn't ever ask if she needs a moment to regroup or a tissue or asks if she can go on. Suggests there wasn't a whole lot of real emotion expressed in that testiphony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.