Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/10 - Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it the second there is any delay in the trial there is a jump on the bandwagon, gang up to bash JSS mentality???? She got blamed for the Christmas holidays and the Super Bowl. This delay is because the DT had to go before the Supreme Court for their appeal. Nothing to do with how JSS runs her courtroom!

Did they need to be at the SC? It's not oral arguments - the Justices are discussing it among themselves as to whether they will even review the case or not. I don't see why the lawyers need to be present. I don't know if they even get to sit in on the discussion - I doubt they do.

I figured it was something with Wilmott, which would make sense (even though Nurmi could continue for a day without her).

PS - For once I actually used their names out of deference to whatever JW's emergency is. Normally I don't.

I watched Dr. Phil yesterday and he had Corey Batey, one of the Vanderbilt football players, who was convicted in the brutal rape of a female student. I am in no way excusing their behavior because it was a horrendous crime that was incomprehensible. This happened in Nashville TN and the justice system in each state is different. However, I was shocked to hear he could be sentenced to 144 years. Compare that to this trial. Jodi could get 25 years with a chance for parole. (Hoping for the death sentence) I am not minimizing what these players did to this poor girl just shocked that if you slaughter someone you could actually get out of jail in your lifetime. How messed up is this?

Hope he gets 144 years.

Did they need to be at the SC? It's not oral arguments - the Justices are discussing it among themselves as to whether they will even review the case or not. I don't see why the lawyers need to be present. I don't know if they even get to sit in on the discussion - I doubt they do.

I figured it was something with Wilmott, which would make sense (even though Nurmi could continue for a day without her).

PS - For once I actually used their names out of deference to whatever JW's emergency is. Normally I don't.

Agree with Linas. If the SC had ruled in favor of defense it would have been huge...naturally Nurmi would want to be there just in case. Maybe it had nothing to do with either. But I still believe JSS allowed the defense this time for today.

V

Doggone,do you think we'll find out today what JSS was discussing with each juror?

Just wondering(and am about four pages behind), has anyone considered that those juror questions(3 iirc) that JSS sealed from the "secret" witness' testimony, after telling the DT that they had to be asked, might have something to do with this?

You guys have a great night. I am so happy with supreme court denying the defense request that I am taking off for the night. :)

If any of them say YES, it was discussed among them, then = BIG PROBLEM. I don't think anyone said YES though.

And...we don't know that's why they were being questioned.

Maybe all that happened was a juror slid a note in the question box that asked "when is this going to end????????"

And JSS called them back to remind them she SAID December 16. Just got the year wrong. December 16, 2015. oops.

Did you see all the grammatical, spelling, and omission errors in her latest prosecutorial misconduct amendment?

Do as JA says, not as she, LKN, and JW do.
We know Jodi the great linguist can't spell ridiculous and didn't know the meaning of edify or contemporaneous.

I look at her Playboy pose and what leaps out is how GIGANTIC her hands seem. Remembering Ziggy said they look enormous in person too. Yuck all the way round.

Me too! Even if Ziggy hadn't said that, they are so huge they jump out at you.

Ah, you're so brave! Thank you so much for lending your perspective. Now...knowing everything you know - do you think Jodi is 'just' borderline or do you think she exhibits traits and qualities of other disorders (ones that are certainly manipulative for the sake of being manipulative) like antisocial or narcissistic? To be frank, I really hate that she's being associated with borderline at all - it's misunderstood enough as it is.

Agree. I think in the public sphere (jurors) it unfortunately may "soften" her. However if anyone can bring it all home Juan can. IMO

Ok. I have BPD. I was diagnosed in my early 20s. BPD people aren't manipulative on purpose not in the regular understanding of manipulating. What happens is that a BPD person is terrified, absolutely terrified about being abandoned, even if there is no abandonment taking place, it can be the perception of being abandoned that causes fear. A BPD person then goes into a type of panic mode, that they can't exist without that person in their life and that is why they do things to try and keep that person in their life, like self-harming to get the care and attention, splurging money to give treats to people, being reckless with money so the other person has to manage their money for them. It's not conscious manipulation, it's a primal fear. BPD people have an emotionally unstable personality (and in fact in the UK many psychiatrists now call BPD Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder). The best way to explain it is that we don't have the tools to deal with handling emotions that a "normal" developed adult has. We are kind of stuck in that awkward adolescent stage where everything is a complete drama. Having BPD doesn't excuse soneone's actions. I know right from wrong. It doesn't mean that someone cannot control what they do. Typically a BPD person is aware of what they are doing, they may not be consciously aware that it is manipulative though.

I have the added difficulties of experiencing psychosis when extremely stressed or depressed. That is completely different to BPD. Having BPD does not mean you WILL be psychotic at any time. I also have a diagnosis of PTSD. Jodi does not at all present as having PTSD. She has no heightened startle reflex and doesn't go out of her way to avoid the alleged cause of the PTSD.

Thank You for sharing your personal experience. It's sounds you are managing well thru your vast understanding. Good for you!

So now does the DT have to figure out how to delay until October to see if the US Supreme Court will take up their appeal of this outrageous refusal of the AZ SC to review the completely unfair ruling of the AZ COA?

Seriosuly though, what's the pool on how long after 9:30am tomorrow that Smith's testimony starts? First we could have any of:
- Other cases running late and wrapping up.
- The automatic opening sidebar.
- Nurmi wanting to whine in the open about a) the SC rejection, b) JSS not declaring a mistrial despite the clear proof of juror misconduct, c) JSS allowing Smith to testify, d) demanding that he be allowed to recall Sue to at least help him rebut the repeated and willful discovery violations of the prosecutor, e) needing to delay until next week because of JW's absence, f) through z) fill in any others I left out.
- Maybe some other sidebars mixed in among the above.
- Some "illness" from JA.
- Another sidebar after the jury is seated.

Interesting. Could this be why the jurors were being questioned yesterday.?
https://twitter.com/BAtlinburg/statu...18805027086336

And it went Poof within seconds. Sorry. It was a video of the juror that was dimised. I believe the last name is Garcia. The clip said something about how the jurors were stunned that Arias was on the stand and something about it being discussed.
Then there was a tweet to SW about it and she said she sent the clip to the defense. This is the clip https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153610411514546&set=vb.537149545&type=2&theater

The tweet or message can be seen on the JA hashtag. It was still there the last time I looked.
The first link (to the tweet, I assume) is no longer there. The second one was. But this is long after she was on the witness stand as well a when this dismissed juror was dismissed. Why would it be an issue this late in the game?

So now does the DT have to figure out how to delay until October to see if the US Supreme Court will take up their appeal of this outrageous refusal of the AZ SC to review the completely unfair ruling of the AZ COA?

Seriosuly though, what's the pool on how long after 9:30am tomorrow that Smith's testimony starts? First we could have any of:
- Other cases running late and wrapping up.
- The automatic opening sidebar.
- Nurmi wanting to whine in the open about a) the SC rejection, b) JSS not declaring a mistrial despite the clear proof of juror misconduct, c) JSS allowing Smith to testify, d) demanding that he be allowed to recall Sue to at least help him rebut the repeated and willful discovery violations of the prosecutor, e) needing to delay until next week because of JW's absence, f) through z) fill in any others I left out.
- Maybe some other sidebars mixed in among the above.
- Some "illness" from JA.
- Another sidebar after the jury is seated.

Willmott has been handling the computer stuff so far, hasn't she? If she is out for any type of emergency I would assume that means Smith will not be testifying. I do think, even if she is there, Nurmi will whine and complain about notice, time to prepare, reports, etc. I would be willing to bet there is no court the rest of the week.

The first link (to the tweet, I assume) is no longer there. The second one was. But this is long after she was on the witness stand as well a when this dismissed juror was dismissed. Why would it be an issue this late in the game?

It is still an issue if this juror says that she and another juror discussed the secret testimony. She seemed to imply it was a possibility when she said ' WE WONDERED what was happening.' If she and another juror said anything about the testimony, it would be a problem.

But I don't think anyone did. She is just a sloppy blabbermouth, imo.

Willmott has been handling the computer stuff so far, hasn't she? If she is out for any type of emergency I would assume that means Smith will not be testifying. I do think, even if she is there, Nurmi will whine and complain about notice, time to prepare, reports, etc. I would be willing to bet there is no court the rest of the week.

BBM ~ :please: Please don't type that. I don't think they can delay this any further than is has been. I'm going with Law of Attraction that things will start to speed up.

Why is it the second there is any delay in the trial there is a jump on the bandwagon, gang up to bash JSS mentality???? She got blamed for the Christmas holidays and the Super Bowl. This delay is because the DT had to go before the Supreme Court for their appeal. Nothing to do with how JSS runs her courtroom!

I agree. I can't Judge the Judge as I don't have enough info to come to an informed decision. I'm not in her Chambers before and after Court to see all etc. This is a DP case. The Defense is going to get a wider berth. Yes there are days she frustrates me but she knows Law obviously. Could she run a tighter ship at times? Maybe? Probably. Yet my discomfort is not important. Avoiding any Appellate issue is. My personal disdain is more toward the Defense Team and Cohorts as in my opine they are untoward. That's stating it mildly!

I think that whole are you mad at me thing was a setup from the beginning. Her fan club from grade school instantly burst into loud laughter a nano second after she said it. They knew it was coming.

She was so unprofessional.. I found her entire testimony disturbing. I think she made herself look like a fool. She was arrogant and childish at the same time. I'm so Thankful we didn't have to listen to her again during this phase of the trial...it was hard enough the first time.

I understand that, but this 2012 law specifies "natural life" or death for premeditated murder or murder of a police officer. This would explicitly exclude LWP as Jodi's sentence.

Just because there's a law today, doesn't mean that it won't be struck down tomorrow.

And the law passed today isn't always applicable to crimes committed yesterday.

In 1972, 107 inmates on death row were re-sentenced when the California Supreme Court declared capital punishment unconstitutional in that state.

When lawmakers re-enacted it in 1977, those re-sentenced inmates did not return to death row.

The law today may not, and probably won't, be the law tomorrow.

The 2012 law to which you refer was enacted after JA murdered TA with special cruelty.

JSKS may sentence JA to LWP or LWOP if the jury doesn't unanimously make a different decision for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74