Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/13 thru 2/18 - Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that Geffner isn't available until 2/25. Can't the judge order him to appear? I would think so.
Read the kerfuffle regarding the MDLR episode. I think that was pretty juvenile for those trial watchers to behave that way. I also read the 13th Juror's recap of the incident. He was involved in that episode. I have mixed feelings about his writings. I also think it was creepy of him to confront Dr Demarte & Juan that morning. If I were them, I would have been scared.
Looks like the end is near! The murderess must be shaking in her boots. I still think she may take the stand. The jury has to wonder why she didn't feel it was important enough to her to finish her testimony, which is why I think she will testify.
Thoughts?

My thoughts are MDLR overreacted to something that wasn't even about her. Paul Sanders, from my understanding, was not "involved" because he wasn't with her when it happened. He had to ask if she actually sang. She did but it didn't have anything to do with Maria. The whole thing was really stupid.

I'm not sure I could get through a summer without my iced cappuccinos from Timmy's and I do have a soft spot for their crullers and maple glazed donuts(I do like the mocha specials from Krispy Creme, just can't handle more than one every month or so... ), but even though their new dark roast isn't too bad, I still prefer brewing my own americanos using good old Nabob's Espresso blend instead of regular grind coffee. I think one of Timmy's best draws though is their "Roll up the Rim" contests. ... http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/index.php

Getting back to all this talk about the phones and how to source the origin of certain calls, surely just being able to match dates and times to the text logs would suffice, I would think those would have been available for at least a few months before the murder. The only reason they may not have bothered with this, though we really don't know that they haven't, is because there was so much hard evidence to have gotten the murder conviction that I don't think they were thinking it would turn into this circus over sentencing.:/

BBM

They would have gotten all the phone records immediately after the investigation started. They wouldn't have tried tracing some of this info initially b/c of the murderess's lies. This is why no one looked for *advertiser censored*--child or otherwise. Same thing with the significance of these texts. It wasn't until she started making all these allegations that this info became relevant, and IIRC, that was nearly 2 years after she murdered him.

Lordy. Sanders didn't get the Helio testimony AT ALL. Went right over his head. Glad he's not actually speaking for the jury. Ziggy says everyone she spoke to in the court room understood the significance of the testimony. Hopefully Sanders is just an exception.

He seems as if he is a sensitive person. I think he was still rattled by being admonished for something he claims he was not involved in. jmo

Bringing this post over hear, since the other one will be closing shortly.

The phone text got me a bit confused, but doing a quick google it is completely possible to send a text to a phone from your computer. This could be one of the reasons JA destroyed her hard drive. Damning!
There is plenty on the subject on the internet, but unfortunately, I cannot read and research because work is calling me. Here is a bit of info. There is plenty more out there if any one has the time to look.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/e-...s-computer.htm
Someone counted the characters of the text and they were under 160 without spaces and 160 with spaces.
A quick skim and this immediately caught my eye. Interesting.

Type a message of up to 160 characters in the message box and then click Send. Your message will shortly appear on the cell phone

I have tmobile as my cell phone provider, and I can log into my tmobile account, and send a text message via computer to my husbands phone, done it lots of times, so I know it can be done

I'd like to add another possibility. At the time of the murder, "instant messaging" was a huge service that many used befored texting became as popular as it is now.

I remember being a member on another forum and a bunch of us became friendly, and we would use instant messaging to chat outside of the forum. One girl used to participate via her phone, while I used the service from my computer.

Basically an account was created using an email address, and then you created a user name . Most of us utilized the user names we were known by on the forum.

This would have been an ideal way for Jodi to create an account, choose TA as a user name, and then send "texts" to whomever she wanted. She wouldn't have needed to hack into anything. Oh, another huge aspect of the service that would benefit the murderess: conversations automatically "disappeared" once the connection ended unless it was manually saved.

IMO the analysis of travis's phone&records showed no evidence that he sent this text.

I just hope the jury got it, cause after reading PS's recap I'm not so sure. I know there has been varied opinion about his posts, but I like to read it b/c it's a perspective from inside the courtroom. I think we tend to understand things a lot more b/c of our ability to bounce ideas and theories off of each other.

I've wondered where the phone records came from. Did they get them from the service providers for all phones involved to compare them? If they pulled records for all known numbers for JA and for TA and found a major discrepancy like we think there is, I'm sure we would have heard it. But that would only cover sending phone to phone (shows as out for one and in for the other), whereas computer to phone would only show as in for the one that received it.

This seems like a very important area that Juan could have gone into more deeply perhaps. For example, if he had both sets of phone records and all/most other JA<=>TA texts show up for both while this one only shows up in hers, then that would certainly make it look like she planted it.

Juan has certainly planted that seed. All it takes is for a few jurors to have gotten that and they can enlighten the others.

I've also wondered if the phone sex tape was a total setup. She was obviously leading him through it. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if she had talked to him just before and said "Hey I have this fantasy about us engaging in this really raunchy phone sex conversation. Can we do it? ... Please? ... Pleeease?? ... Ok great. I'll hang up and call you right back."

Oh crud I've been horrible about that the handful of times I've posted pictures. Does that apply in all cases, or is it considered covered in the case where we add it via a URL as opposed to via uploading a file?

If the photo comes from an article that you have added a link to then you are covered. Otherwise, ALL photos, attachments and graphics need a link.

For example, if I add a photo like the following along with the link to the article then it is covered:

df489b43f039f5066d0f6a706700cafe_r620x349.JPEG

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/feb/12/prosecution-rests-in-jodi-arias-sentencing-retrial/

hth

I wonder if the jury question was along the lines of "Was JA's computer ever looked at?" or "Was there *advertiser censored* on JA's computer?" or anything at all about checking JA's computer? It seems like a natural progression of thought in trying to piece together what's been laid out. For AZL.....If that type of question was asked, anything about JA's computer, would they not be able to read it in open court? Or could they say her computer was destroyed? Would that be too prejudicial? But, maybe the jury already knows this?? I cannot remember.

Off topic discussions need to be taken over to the Sidebar. This thread is for anything related to the retrial. While the rules are relaxed a bit in the retrial break thread the discussions should be focused on anything related to the trial. Thanks, Lambchop

^ Please delete the movie info post as I also posted in on the Sidebar. I thought it would be alright as there is no trial taking place today.
BDE

I've wondered where the phone records came from. Did they get them from the service providers for all phones involved to compare them? If they pulled records for all known numbers for JA and for TA and found a major discrepancy like we think there is, I'm sure we would have heard it. But that would only cover sending phone to phone (shows as out for one and in for the other), whereas computer to phone would only show as in for the one that received it.

This seems like a very important area that Juan could have gone into more deeply perhaps. For example, if he had both sets of phone records and all/most other JA<=>TA texts show up for both while this one only shows up in hers, then that would certainly make it look like she planted it.

Juan has certainly planted that seed. All it takes is for a few jurors to have gotten that and they can enlighten the others.

I've also wondered if the phone sex tape was a total setup. She was obviously leading him through it. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if she had talked to him just before and said "Hey I have this fantasy about us engaging in this really raunchy phone sex conversation. Can we do it? ... Please? ... Pleeease?? ... Ok great. I'll hang up and call you right back."

Gotta consider the possibility that some of this evidence was deemed "too prejudicial." Also important is that the "stolen" then found Heilo phone came into play waaaaaaaay after the the start of the trial. Records from the carrier may have no longer been available. another thing that was very different back in the day....when you got a new phone/changed carriers you were given a new phone number. My husband has had a cell phone from the time they were first introduced. I'm talking initial "cell phones" used to be hardwired into your car!!!!! Until carriers starting offering the you can keep your old number concept, people were continually given a new one when they switched carriers, and received a new phone. I'm not exactly sure if this was the case here, but it's a possibility, especially b/c IIRC when maintaining your existing # was first offered you have to pay a surcharge to keep it.

Also, the phone sex recording, she totally set him up...he doesn't initial it at all in my opinion. She leads him on, and he actually sounds half asleep during most of it. Nor does he sound as if he starts to "engage in another activity" if you get my meaning ;)

Oops sorry I'm on the wrong thread

Lordy. Sanders didn't get the Helio testimony AT ALL. Went right over his head. Glad he's not actually speaking for the jury. Ziggy says everyone she spoke to in the court room understood the significance of the testimony. Hopefully Sanders is just an exception.

That was my thought as well. Oh and LD being called Gorkin :hilarious:

I disagree with Sanders about the importance of Jodi showing remorse. Who in their right mind is going to believe her now? She has trashed Travis's reputation during both trials. She has allowed the defense team to paint Travis as the suspect. If she started sobbing, got down on the floor screaming, kicking, and crying about how sorry she is, told how she really loved Travis and how she has cried for him every single day since she killed him, I would know the entire speech was a joke. Since NOBODY would believe her, why in the world would she even stand up and just say she's sorry? During the entire trial, she and her defense team have been implying that Travis deserved to die!

One thing that worries me is that sometimes it seems as if Juan assumes that everyone on the jury is as smart as he is. One example is that Paul Saunders didn't understand what Juan was trying to get across about the Helio. Juan should have made it clearer to the jurors. Maybe he is going to wait until closing arguments to put it all together. I didn't realize that I knew what instant messaging was until a few minutes ago. Years ago, my sister and I would send instant messages to each other. In the first half of 2008, I downloaded Yahoo Instant Messenger to speak with my daughter in northern Virginia and her husband who was stationed in the Green Zone in Baghdad.

I just hope that Travis gets the justice he deserves!

He seems as if he is a sensitive person. I think he was still rattled by being admonished for something he claims he was not involved in. jmo

I think you're right. He also sounds protective of the others being chastised. Hopefully that explains why he paid little attention to the Helio testimony. As much as anything I was just surprised that he didn't seize upon it.....

^ Please delete the movie info post as I also posted in on the Sidebar. I thought it would be alright as there is no trial taking place today.
BDE

This is okay, BetteDavisEyes. It is relative to what we are discussing regarding Arias' character. Thanks

It is easy to fool people who WANT to believe. I do think the jury has been sitting there every day, watching JA and trying to wrap their mind around how all this could have happened. If she gets up and cries and says she loved TA and is so sad that he died, I believe there will be those on the jury who will eagerly latch onto that and be reluctant to vote DP.

I wonder if the jury question was along the lines of "Was JA's computer ever looked at?" or "Was there *advertiser censored* on JA's computer?" or anything at all about checking JA's computer? It seems like a natural progression of thought in trying to piece together what's been laid out. For AZL.....If that type of question was asked, anything about JA's computer, would they not be able to read it in open court? Or could they say her computer was destroyed? Would that be too prejudicial? But, maybe the jury already knows this?? I cannot remember.

Very curious too. I can't imagine Juan fighting that hard on letting a juror question(s) in. He seems like the type who would want it in so he could argue it and let that juror know he's wrong, if I was hurtful to him, of course.

I do hope Jodi does beg for mercy. Nobody will believe her and just cement the deal she only cares about herself. I'm confused tho as to how that will happen now since Jodi has such "issues" to publicly speak. Maybe Maria will get up and read it for her LOL

I agree. And after going back and rereading some of his posts, it seems he is more interested in "painting a picture" of the what's going on in the courtroom versus relaying facts? I enjoy his perspective though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle