Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/20 thru 2/23 - Break

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard to figure out how the Hugheses just fell for whatever the attorneys told them but maybe it's because they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Maybe they are nice people who are just not very sophisticated. They may have believed lawyers to be honorable citizens who command respect and never stopped to think that these were defense lawyers with an agenda. I wish they had behaved differently but I do not think they were disloyal--I think they were naive.

Ok, I got it through my thick skull now that perhaps Sky was naive when Nurmi hammered her with the pedo claims.

It was a bad error, and now I hear testimony it makes sense.

So :cheers: to the Hugheses, I am not sure where I went off track, but thanks to Chris H. for clearing things up for me.

Forgive me, if I made any ignorant comments.

Heather Conner (crime scene technician) testimony 1/9/13

#213 . . . opening .. . camera bag from loft area in residence - there is a strap inside . . . it looks like it is in it's original packaging it shows sony . . . it is the only strap inside the bag . . .

Oh, the camera strap was still in its original packaging inside the box? Well no wonder she dropped the camera!

She states in her letter to the family dated 28 July 2008: " I ran out the front door, leaving behind my shoes,.......".

I doubt that sentence is true. It was never entered in evidence that female shoes were found at the crime scene. However, I dont know why she would make a point of saying that in the letter. Why add that detail?

Primarily because liars lie............

It is hard to figure out how the Hugheses just fell for whatever the attorneys told them but maybe it's because they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Maybe they are nice people who are just not very sophisticated. They may have believed lawyers to be honorable citizens who command respect and never stopped to think that these were defense lawyers with an agenda. I wish they had behaved differently but I do not think they were disloyal--I think they were naive.

Hard to figure out? Kirk Nurmi lied to them outright, claimed he had "100% proof". They didn't even realize at the time that it was legal for him to do so. So having a lawyer call them personally, tell them this lie, yet believe that it was illegal for him to be lying, they still came to the conclusion, on their own, that very same day, that he was lying.

So how exactly did they behave after they were told this lie? They did nothing. They sat and struggled with the cognitive dissonance foisted on them by the lying defense team and came to the conclusion, on the same day, in the privacy of their own home, that they had been lied to.

They later testified, honestly, that yes, they had initially believed the lie, and that's it.

Well, we can write them off as Travis' true friends.

Primarily because liars lie............

Maybe because she was trying to balance out the part where she has the time to grab her purse. So she wants to say that she couldn't grab her shoes...?

Hard to figure out? Kirk Nurmi lied to them outright, claimed he had "100% proof". They didn't even realize at the time that it was legal for him to do so. So having a lawyer call them personally, tell them this lie, yet believe that it was illegal for him to be lying, they still came to the conclusion, on their own, that very same day, that he was lying.

So how exactly did they behave after they were told this lie? They did nothing. They sat and struggled with the cognitive dissonance foisted on them by the lying defense team and came to the conclusion, on the same day, in the privacy of their own home, that they had been lied to.

They later testified, honestly, that yes, they had initially believed the lie, and that's it.

So, are you saying the Hughes should of just said "take a hike" to Nurmi? And, when the same day they figured it was a lie, made no attempt to contact anyone saying they believed it was a lie?

Sorry - I'm not clear on your post. TIA

I wouldn't go that far, but I can see as parents, when a legal representative claims to have 100% proof of something like that, your first instinct would be to protect your own children by accepting it as truth, at least until shown to be otherwise. How many times do we hear of family members sexually assaulting one of their own? It's not something anyone wants to believe but it does happen all too often and if SH works with children, plus has her own, I'm sure she would be aware of that. The point is that they just could not accept it as fact and then they found out that there was no proof but by then the DT had branded them as disloyal friends to TA and the damage had been done. I don't doubt they feel compelled to write this book for TA after what went down.

Maybe because she was trying to balance out the part where she has the time to grab her purse. So she wants to say that she couldn't grab her shoes...?

Perhaps she remembered seeing the roommate's gf's shoes by the door and mistook them for a pair of her own and wanted to cover it just in case ... who knows with JA.:/

So, are you saying the Hughes should of just said "take a hike" to Nurmi? And, when the same day they figured it was a lie, made no attempt to contact anyone saying they believed it was a lie?

I'm describing what happened, not suggesting what they should have done. Personally I think they did quite well on their own considering what was done to them.

It was Nurmi's lie, not theirs, so they could have had no knowledge of the extent of its propagation. Who then were they supposed to contact?

I wouldn't go that far, but I can see as parents, when a legal representative claims to have 100% proof of something like that, your first instinct would be to protect your own children by accepting it as truth, at least until shown to be otherwise. How many times do we hear of family members sexually assaulting one of their own? It's not something anyone wants to believe but it does happen all too often and if SH works with children, plus has her own, I'm sure she would be aware of that. The point is that they just could not accept it as fact and then they found out that there was no proof but by then the DT had branded them as disloyal friends to TA and the damage had been done. I don't doubt they feel compelled to write this book for TA after what went down.

I want to be clear, the last sentence of my post was meant to be taken sarcastically.

I think the last sentence of my post, "Well, we can write them off as Travis' true friends." is being misunderstood. I meant it sarcastically, to counter the anti-Hughes sentiment that seems so widespread.

I think the last sentence of my post, "Well, we can write them off as Travis' true friends." is being misunderstood. I meant it sarcastically, to counter the anti-Hughes sentiment that seems so widespread.

Ok, gotcha. I just think SH was gullible and it was too late once Nurmi full out lied to her. He was testing her, and it worked. The he tried to get get Chris to turn on his own wife. Should of known ... slime highway. I somehow forgot all about that testimony.

Ok, gotcha. I just think SH was gullible and it was too late once Nurmi full out lied to her. He was testing her, and it worked. The he tried to get get Chris to turn on his own wife. Should of known ... slime highway. I somehow forgot all about that testimony.

I really don't blame her for falling for it, I think most people would. It's to her and Chris' credit that they extricated themselves from it so quickly on their own.

They knew it was BS in a NY minute.

Sorry :giggle: I'm like Sheldon Cooper, I don't get sarcasm.

sarcasm-smiley1.jpg

Sorry, I'm not buying that. If Skye has experience in working with sexually abused children and Travis was her friend there's no way she'd just believe Nurmi considering her life experience with Travis.

Obvious to me that Nurmi sold her a big hog. And before having a chance to analyze and think it through, she may have initially come across as buying his hog. Sorry, I'm from the South , so please excuse the terminology. Not only that, he's a Big Wig lawyer and he's claiming he has absolute proof. So, she's a little naive and believes the Big Lie. Initially, without thinking it through. Nothing new. That kind of crap happens and has happened in my own personal life, and I'm not proud to admit it. I felt like a fool when it did. Yet realized shortly after that I'd been made a fool. And it's nothing to be proud of, believe me.

I think it comes with wanting to believe that a person of status can not or would not lie or mislead or misrepresent, especially a Lawyer, God forbid.

I think initially the Hugheses were in shock . Do you know that feeling? When you just say, Oh my word, that's so horrible. And just go along... Until, that is, you regain your senses.

Idk, but I don't have a problem putting myself in their shoes. Maybe because I'm a little too trusting and naive and have found myself in compromised situations in which I shortly thereafter realized I had been taken advantage of.
Just my own perspective , FWIW.

Obvious to me that Nurmi sold her a big hog. And before having a chance to analyze and think it through, she may have initially come across as buying his hog. Sorry, I'm from the South , so please excuse the terminology. Not only that, he's a Big Wig lawyer and he's claiming he has absolute proof. So, she's a little naive and believes the Big Lie. Initially, without thinking it through. Nothing new. That kind of crap happens and has happened in my own personal life, and I'm not proud to admit it. I felt like a fool when it did. Yet realized shortly after that I'd been made a fool. And it's nothing to be proud of, believe me.

I think it comes with wanting to believe that a person of status can not or would not lie or mislead or misrepresent, especially a Lawyer, God forbid.

I think initially the Hugheses were in shock . Do you know that feeling? When you just say, Oh my word, that's so horrible. And just go along... Until, that is, you regain your senses.

Idk, but I don't have a problem putting myself in their shoes. Maybe because I'm a little too trusting and naive and have found myself in compromised situations in which I shortly thereafter realized I had been taken advantage of.

I agree. Most good people don't go around looking for lies around every corner. Maybe they should, but it's not how most people are wired. I think the first impulse for most people is to take information at face value, and then digest and analyze it to see if it passes the smell test. That's precisely what happened in this case. It's no indictment of their character that they believed it initially, their true character came forward when they rejected it, which didn't take long.

I really don't blame her for falling for it, I think most people would. It's to her and Chris' credit that they extricated themselves from it so quickly on their own.

I feel for them because I have been through a very similar experience. It is overwhelming when a friend is telling you one thing and then you are hearing a different story from an accuser and her attorney.
My son's best friend, who I knew all throughout his childhood, was accused of date rape when he was a freshman in college. He swore to us it was not true. And then I was told what the attorney of the alleged victim was saying. And I was really torn, and at some point I was persuaded by the girl and her attorney. I thought they might be telling the truth. And that really hurt my son because he did not believe the accusations at all, and he was hurt that I said I was thinking it might be true.

It turned out to be a LIE. She admitted she lied because her boyfriend found out she had been at our friends apartment so she made the totally false accusation that he forced her to have sex with him.

However, after going through a similar experience, I am not going to judge the Hughes for losing faith in their friend, upon being told LIES by an attorney. Attorneys can be very persuasive. It is hard to withstand the barrage of info and 'facts' they bombard you with. I loved this young man very much and had a lot of respect for him. But the attorney wore me down and made me think he needed help. I think the Hughes were put in a similar situation. I cannot judge them too harshly. JMO

I remember in the first trial Juan asking Det. Flores if he lied to Jodi during his interview with her or if he was employing a "technique" to solicit answers to his questions.

Well, Nurmi the dirtbag displayed his "technique" on Chris and Skye. It's just too bad Chris and Skye fell for it.

I would have been tempted to tell Nurmi to kindly f-off and go pound sand up his voluminous hind region. Subtle, huh? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie