Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 27, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Jeff Gold @ The Gold Patrol:

The Gold Patrol™ @thegoldpatrol · 26m 26 minutes ago

Tweet any #jodiarais questions you may have and we will try to answer on tonight's episode of The Gold Patrol!

Looks like you are starting to get tweets. I will be closing this thread in about 15 minutes.

Sadly for this Defense by the time any appeal is heard I bet social media and trials will go hand in hand and be an everyday event. The sign of the times. Thanks to social media none of us are required to
Live in the dark. Like politics and many other venues it is where it's at nowadays.
The dark ages are gone FOREVER... LOL

I actually think that Nurmi is accurate in saying that spectacle trials with huge online involvement may very well inhibit some experts and civilian witnesses and make them reluctant to testify.

Sadly for him the remedy is already available. Find other experts and subpeona unwilling witnesses.

:gaah:

OMG ... I was just making the Twitter rounds, and saw a post from you know who which I did not see yesterday about Deanna.

Jodi Arias Updates @JodiAnnArias · 17h 17 hours ago

Deanna Reid obviously has #somethingtohide or she wouldn't be so combative. #jodiarias

:gaah: What nerve she has !

:great: Deanna was terrific !

JA is soooooooooooo so jealous of Deanna !

I didn't see that either....just recognize the source, and know that deep down they're sh$tting in their collective, delusional thongs pants!

So probably just in the sense of 'this witness is a big meany face, and I will cry about it!', rather than actual legal sense. Fair enough, I'll bet Deanna was feeling a bit hostile as JW's witness, and rightly so.

It would have taken a lot for me not to vault over the witness stand at her when she asked 'Can't you read'?

:laughing: Exactly. So condescending and unnecessary. JW needs to remember that her client is the one that brutally killed a man.

I'd like Dr. Demarte or Dr. Hayes's opinions of which JA would hate more - DP or LWOP. I can see aspects of both appealing to her.

If we're just talking accommodations, I think she wants a little of both. Her own private room with GP privileges and lots of road trips to court to break up the monotony. She probably pretty much has that now at Estrella. In fact did she ever have another cellmate after her "altercation" with one a couple of years ago? No wonder she doesn't want to leave.

MOO

:tyou: AZL, for this explanation.

BBM: I trust Juan ... He is brilliant :great: and no doubt, he has thought this through completely.

So is this correct ? The jurors will not know the reasons why JA did not finish her testimony with Nurmi, and then had NO cross-examination by Juan ?

I understand that it may not even matter -- BUT -- will it confuse the jury -- and -- will it matter to the jury ?

I hope that made sense !

Again, :tyou:

Yes, it will confuse the jury. I have no doubt they will waste deliberation time inventing some explanation for it, but I won't try to guess what it might be. :)

AZL or any attorney, After a jury trial I am sure you have spoken with the jurors. What kind of things do you feel they focus on the most? I am sure there are all kinds of crazy things. Are there specific kinds of things that stand out to you. I have never been on a serious jury trial and was just wondering.

Since they're not online, I'll jump in and answer if you don't mind lol. AZL does appeals and doesn't deal with jurors. Boytwnmomm is not a trial attorney.

Gitana, Minor4th haven't been along for the ride this time around.

I'm sure AZL and BYTWNMOM will answer when they pop in again.. But can I recommend you do this: search on google or YouTube for Jurors Jodi Arias. A lot of them did interviews and talked about what left an impression and what didn't. The ones that voted for DP said her lack or remorse was one of the major things they considered.

I do handle jury trials--but on the civil side, not criminal. In my experience, jurors categorize witnesses into liars and truth-tellers and tend to disregard everything the liars say. They also tend to insist that they closely read and followed the jury instructions but in reality they don't usually seem to understand the instructions very well, probably because the instructions are written by lawyers and therefore are not in plain English. They almost always focus on basic fairness and justice, and the discussion about jury instructions and law is used to reinforce the result they feel is fair and just.

JA is probably mad because even in death, Travis still loved DR more than he ever would her.

Someone yesterday made a mention of MDLR being under some sort of investigation. Can whoever that was expand on that a bit? TIA. :)

I actually think that Nurmi is accurate in saying that spectacle trials with huge online involvement may very well inhibit some experts and civilian witnesses and make them reluctant to testify.

Sadly for him the remedy is already available. Find other experts and subpeona unwilling witnesses.

The only ones who would be reluctant are the ones who are lying IMO. They have no problem getting people to stand up in open court for the truth.

MOO

:gaah:

OMG ... I was just making the Twitter rounds, and saw a post from you know who which I did not see yesterday about Deanna.

Jodi Arias Updates @JodiAnnArias · 17h 17 hours ago

Deanna Reid obviously has #somethingtohide or she wouldn't be so combative. #jodiarias

:gaah: What nerve she has !

:great: Deanna was terrific !

JA is soooooooooooo so jealous of Deanna !

CMJA is showing her own jealousy by the way she is tweeting. It has got to be Cha-Cha who is tweeting for CMJA. That's the only way it can be happening in such a timely fashion. This should really be against the law!!!

I've been doing a lot of thinking about yesterday and MM's (#1) totally lying affidavit. I'm sure that Nurmi and Willmott knew ahead of time that there was enough evidence to put lie to his tall tales. If they weren't sure before, they sure are now.

I doubt Willmott will try and prove that Deanna was lying in her testimony about the date Travis moved out of the Bishop's house. BTW, that move-out date also crushes the *advertiser censored* garbage he spewed. The Bishop will add to the demolition of MM (#1).

This makes me think that this is only coming from Jodi and her supporters. Jodi is the boss of her attorneys and is forcing them into this horrendous re-trial with far-from-mitigation being supplied. I can't totally blame the lawyers. They are stuck like Super Glue to the last day and the final verdict.

I could write a lot more about Boss JA, but I think you get my drift.

But can't they just tell JA that her "strategy" is total BS? I mean they wouldn't get in front of the jury and state something crazy like "Ladies and gentlemen, TA shot and stabbed himself. Then he slit his own throat. JA said so." Why are they doing things she wants when they know how easily it could all be turned around? Isn't it their job to defend her the best THEY know how and not how she says they should?

I mean I understand that they need to follow her version of events, but do they have to follow it when it's obviously nonsense that will end up hurting her case more than help it? I always had the assumption that lawyers can say "NO" to client's requests that are unbelievable harmful to their case. Can't they?

(So many ?? tonight lol.)

Yes, it will confuse the jury. I have no doubt they will waste deliberation time inventing some explanation for it, but I won't try to guess what it might be. :)

I do handle jury trials--but on the civil side, not criminal. In my experience, jurors categorize witnesses into liars and truth-tellers and tend to disregard everything the liars say. They also tend to insist that they closely read and followed the jury instructions but in reality they don't usually seem to understand the instructions very well, probably because the instructions are written by lawyers and therefore are not in plain English. They almost always focus on basic fairness and justice, and the discussion about jury instructions and law is used to reinforce the result they feel is fair and just.

Ah damn. I thought it wasn't jury trials at all. Sorry for the misinformation guys. :shame:

CMJA is showing her own jealousy by the way she is tweeting. It has got to be Cha-Cha who is tweeting for CMJA. That's the only way it can be happening in such a timely fashion. This should really be against the law!!!

I definitely think its her. Jodi passes a note to her and minutes later @jodiannarias had a new tweet. Also, the other day she responded to a twitterer who she has blocked and shouldn't have been able to see her tweet.

Too bad it didn't inhibit these charlatans that the defense scrounged up. jmo

Hi BritsKate...Question for you if you don't mind. But first, I wanted to say thank you so much for all of the insight you have provided throughout this case. It really has been so enlightening and so helpful. I am so sorry for what you and your family had to go through to gain much of the insight you have.

Here's my question-is there anything that could have been done, whether it be by family, friends, professionals, really anyone...that could have diluted some of this psychopathy in JA? Made her less dangerous?
You're very kind, thank you. Yes and no, really. I can only base it off of what I've discovered walking this path so bear with my answer, please, it isn't quite black and white.

For my ex, his PD was already evident by age 13. He'd experienced horrific abuse from a very young age. Eventually he was removed from his parents and placed in a boys home. There, in among a lot of very troubled kids, he learned the tools necessary to become an abuser and criminal. By 14 he'd experimented with drugs, alcohol, animal abuse, and arson (I'd first learn of this 30 years later). He saw a psychiatrist all through his teens but this was the 70s when we knew a lot less about the trauma of child abuse and the impact of PD. He wasn't diagnosed NPD/APD, until his early 40s, following a suicide attempt.

His family is very toxic and his mother felt immense guilt over abuse she allowed. As a result, she never held him accountable for his anger or his actions. He could treat people however he wanted, do whatever he wanted, and there would be no repercussions, in part, because she herself feared him. My ex is a very angry 13 year old constantly lashing out at the world for his mistreatment. He's suspended in that state. His adult life consisted of all of us, myself included, making excuses for his behavior rather than holding him accountable.

A very early dx (which many psychs don't like to do) of a PD may make a difference - depending on the PD. BPD has shown the most success in terms of treatment. There is no cure but there are tools that can be taught to someone personality disordered to limit the harm they cause to themselves and others. It requires a lot of determination, time, and effort. Friends and family need to recognize red flags - Jodi's behavior couldn't have begun when she met Travis (though PD sometimes worsens with age and sometimes also lessens) so there had to be signs. IME, many of these signs are confused for someone simply being a troubled teen or problem child.

The short answer is yes - a million things could have happened differently to make her less dangerous but the biggest problem remains that no one around her ever perceived how deeply disturbed she was in the first place. So I just don't know how you'd fix that. Our family faced the exact same issue when my ex was arrested for having drugged and raped his 14 year old niece - we knew he was capable of violence - but none of us could ever have predicted he'd do something so heinous. So, the answer also has to be no because a psychopath is capable of doing things you can't contemplate or prepare for and they don't believe rules should apply to them.

I hope that helps - apologies for the length. :blushing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members