Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 6- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no longer buying the theory that JSS does this because she is trying to eliminate appeals. As you say, JA is going to throw everything including the kitchen sink into her appeal anyway.

And surely even though this is her first death penalty case as a presiding judge she has seen or been a prosecutor on a death penalty case before. If 99.99% of other Judges in the nation can preside over a DP case in an open public courtroom then there is absolutely no reason why she has to be the one that cant.

When it is all over and done with I really would like to know how much time and money has been spent due to all the secretive meetings, hearings, and all the time wasted at sidebars. I have seen many Judges deny a sidebar when asked by either side but I haven't seen one time she denied even one because all they do is rehash what was said in a sidebar they had just minutes before.

I was watching a video this morning showing Juan questioning ALV on what she thought about the fact that Travis said he was fearful of Jodi and her stalking him. ALV of course was combative, rude, snide, and non-responsive. She was trying to evade answering and Juan was not being feisty. This went on and on and on.........sidebar.......the question again.....more combativeness.......sidebar....sidebar...sidebar. Juan kept looking at JSS asking could he ask 'that' question now... which only ended in more sidebars. Then here came the infamous recess. FINALLY the Judge told her to answer the question. And this is how this entire cases has gone. The first time ALV was nonresponsive in her answer is when JSS should have told her then to answer but no it wasn't until much wasted time had passed before she spoke up and did her job.

I know I have said this case is being conducted like no other but I truly have never seen another Judge in a death penalty case or any other case for that matter act this strangely.

IMO

I wholeheartedly agree ocean blueeyes, I have been watching court cases since 1994 (argh, my age is showing), I will never forget my first, lol, Steven Baker Lucas killed his mother a Tyler Texas Socialite it was mesmerizing to watch the prosecutor in this trial, he was great, I was hooked.

Never seen anything like this judge/courtroom drama/delays, etc, the word extreme comes to mind. This is really not a special case, this is not about sex, this is not about religion, this is merely just abbout a butchering fatal attraction bunny boiling jealous woman killer that could not handle rejection. How and why this all got out of hand is beyond comprehension.

Gotcha and that makes sense. Have fun on your trip. jmo

Ok that just tickled my funny bone. "have fun on your trip--just my opinion". LOL! I'm gonna go finish some laundry now jmo (which means that may or may not happen). haha and thanks! <3

I wholeheartedly agree ocean blueeyes, I have been watching court cases since 1994 (argh, my age is showing), I will never forget my first, lol, Steven Baker Lucas killed his mother a Tyler Texas Socialite it was mesmerizing to watch the prosecutor in this trial, he was great, I was hooked.

Never seen anything like this judge/courtroom drama/delays, etc, the word extreme comes to mind. This is really not a special case, this is not about sex, this is not about religion, this is merely just abbout a butchering fatal attraction bunny boiling jealous woman killer that could not handle rejection. How and why this all got out of hand is beyond comprehension.

HolyMother of God...that Lucas trial was the VERY FIRST ONE I ever watched on Court TV. It was the trial that hooked me in to it (it was the retrial though right?). I know that case inside and out--including his pregnant daughter and her perfect lipstick (sad). I referred to him (to my husband at the time who I tortured with that trial) as the Pillsbury Dough Boy. I painted my entire family room watching that trial back when CTV showed things gavel to gavel with great commentary like Dan Abrams, etc. Wow...memory lane...

PS I think it was one of the first or THE first trial to use that computerized animation of how they believed that "fall" occurred...and he was convicted, among other things, of not taking account a granny gown in to his fabricated story of how that went down! And a candle stick was involved!

Jodi probably argued or raised issue over Mom not being allowed to be in there, since Travis family was allowed to remain - and rightfully so!! Maybe Mom raised issue herself that she should get to remain. Since Mom may have been the issue maybe they allowed her in on the discussion. Lot of mysteries this time around.

One or more of the journalists yesterday tweeted that CMJA mother left the courthouse after being punted from the courtroom. Is that now false and she was there? Nurmi had asked the judge for her to leave.

I am confused!

We also know Jodi's alleged BFs and supporters have been showing up. Perhaps that's what they meant by needing to get back and they actually were there. But still made an assumption about Jodi maybe speaking.

just got an email from Beth Karas who will be attending the 3pm hearing today about the media and reporting on it. I'll keep an eye on that and report back what I see (as I have the day off and I know how to use it wisely ;) ).

Uhhhh. Homie say whaaaaat? New boyfriend to whom? don't say it...don't say it... ok, tell me..

I concur, another thought--how much do we know about the new boyfriend? He was reported to be in court.

We also know Jodi's alleged BFs and supporters have been showing up. Perhaps that's what they meant by needing to get back and they actually were there. But still made an assumption about Jodi maybe speaking.

Not to beat a dead horse as I keep whipping, but how can they be assured a public seat daily? They can't unless they are w/ the family or have a media pass. Just sayin.

If opening statements are any indication, Nurmi is ratcheting up the child abuse angle this time. When I noticed tweets about the mom leaving court yesterday, I wondered if the "mystery" witness might not have something to do with testimony to that effect.

I am wondering about the little sister....she was not in court yesterday, was she? Wonder if she is gonna testify about some kind of abuse in the home? just thinking....

HolyMother of God...that Lucas trial was the VERY FIRST ONE I ever watched on Court TV. It was the trial that hooked me in to it (it was the retrial though right?). I know that case inside and out--including his pregnant daughter and her perfect lipstick (sad). I referred to him (to my husband at the time who I tortured with that trial) as the Pillsbury Dough Boy. I painted my entire family room watching that trial back when CTV showed things gavel to gavel with great commentary like Dan Abrams, etc. Wow...memory lane...

PS I think it was one of the first or THE first trial to use that computerized animation of how they believed that "fall" occurred...and he was convicted, among other things, of not taking account a granny gown in to his fabricated story of how that went down! And a candle stick was involved!

Wow KCL, whoddathunkit, Lucas was both our first, lol. It was a retrial, IIRC trial was moved from Tyler Texas to Dallas, I too, know and remember the case very well, I too believe the computer animation was a first in a trial, seems primitive by todays standards, but nonetheless a very powerful visual demonstration back then.

Arrghh...So much of what we have to go with is only speculation via Twitter... :facepalm: No wonder people are confused.

Wow KCL, whoddathunkit, Lucas was both our first, lol. It was a retrial, IIRC trial was moved from Tyler Texas to Dallas, I too, know and remember the case very well, but I believe the computer animation was a first in a trial, seems primitive by todays standards, but nonetheless a very powerful visual demonstration back then.

Yes the engineering, like she was catapulted over that balcony not letting go of that VCR but hanging on to it for dear life (or in that scenario, death). Sorry OT people but that trial stuck to my mind like glue.

I am wondering about the little sister....she was not in court yesterday, was she? Wonder if she is gonna testify about some kind of abuse in the home? just thinking....

I'm thinking along the same lines. Little bro or sis to corroborate her BS abuse claims. Ugh. So fed up with this whole fiasco!! I swore after Casey Anthony I would never allow myself to get so caught up again but here I am. Sigh.

Thanks again to all posters and tweeters. And a round of applause for AZLawyer, KCL and the verified professionals who are sharing their wisdom.

Some assumptions I think have been caused by "trial by twitter" and sealed court records:

1. The assumption that Cheryl Karp asked to testify under a pseudonym, and that the request was granted. I have seen nothing to substantiate this assumption.

2. The assumption that JM didn't object to the closed courtroom. Since the whole discussion happened at the bench, I don't think we know what his position was.

3. The assumption that the witness insisted on a closed courtroom due to fear. I don't think we know this either, although obviously that's been a defense theme at other times.

4. The assumption that Nurmi asked for JA's family to leave. I think this was a misinterpretation of a tweet saying that the family had to leave and "ironically, the motion came from Nurmi." I think the "irony" was that Nurmi asked for the public to leave without really thinking through that the "public" would include JA's family, which has no special right to be there.

On other topics...

My head is spinning. I wonder if JSS is Mormon and she did this for Bishop Parker out of respect. If so, bad decision since it shows partiality. AZlawyer seems to think a lot of JSS but I have to wonder.

ETA: anyone think this may be a possibility?

No. And I think a lot of her ethics, intelligence, and usually her evidentiary rulings, but as you know I've had other criticisms.

Was Vernon Parker JA's Bishop? I just cannot wrap my brain around a Bishop testifying about a confidential discussion between himself and a church member - the LDS church has many members who are Atty's who could advise him he has an exemption (unless child abuse/neglect issues might harm a child or someone is actively homicidal or suicidal) IMO. As AZL mentioned, if JA waived priviledge then he could be allowed to testify on her behalf.

If he was TA's Bishop - there would be no way he would testify for JA.

Either way, unless this person is a child witness (that needs protection from the public) or unless it is someone who is out of the country (where JSS would have no control)- there are ways to compel witnesses to testify - (ie: subpeona, court order) if the court has jurisdiction or control over their testimony.

I am going back to my original 2 theories - it's a child or it is a witness who is out of the country. AZL confirmed these are the only 2 ways JSS might consider these type of restrictions in the best interest of justice. JSS would feel that her hands are tied in these 2 scenarios - no other options that would be suitable.

Or an undercover cop as the 12 news reporter mentioned, but that seems highly improbable.

Okay. I'm in tears. Exactly how many people that you know and love would have a web site dedicated to them after their death by so many friends and acquaintances? Such words of love!
i didn't see these friends testify during the trial. I am wondering why most of them can't give a victim impact statement? That would be so awesome!!

Only certain people are defined as "victims" in the statute.

BBM: Exactly ... and there were a lot of shenanigans that should have NEVER been allowed in that trial either !

:gaah: What is wrong with these Judges ? They are so worried about "appeals" but no matter what the outcome is for CMJA, she will appeal !

:moo:

I don't think anyone thinks they can avoid appeal--the hope is to avoid a successful appeal. :)

Did the secret witness testify yesterday or was the jury dismissed after lunch?
If it was not dismissed, will they wait on the press appeals before they continue in secret?

Only if the media's stay motion is granted. I understand JSS will hear the motion at 3 pm today. If she denies it, the media attorneys will run over to the AZ Court of Appeals and ask for the same thing.

What kind of a person mocks the testimony of a victim impact statement from the sister of a murder victim?

I cannot even wrap my head around it.

Hmmmm...well, maybe hope4 is right and they weren't there at all \o/

I'm new to Twitter, just signed up to follow the trial. However, if I had to guess, I'd guess this mysterious tweeter is just taking real live tweeters tweets and rewording them, twisting them to suit her angles to make it seem like they are in the court room. If I get a new live tweet, I could easily reword what I just read and tweet the info myself, within 30 seconds, making it seem like I'm in there. Just another whack job, trying to make people, even her fellow whack jobs, believe she's in court

Justus4all... my azz.

Apparently only justus4some... of their choosing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress