• Weight: 128 - 135 lbs
  • Hair Color: Brown
  • Eye Color: Brown
  • Nickname/Alias: Unknown
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
  • Clothing & Personal Items: Unknown
  • Identifiers: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance:
Pimentel was last seen in Providence, Rhode Island on August 8, 1976. He had enlisted in the Massachusetts Army National Guard and his orders directed him to travel to Fort Dix, New Jersey. He went to the AMTRAK train station in Providence accompanied by friends and family. He boarded the train with other recruits and his recruiter but never arrived in Fort Dix. He has not been seen or heard from since and his whereabouts remain unknown.

Investigators:
  • Fall River Police Department: (508) 676-8511
    Reference Case#: 86-11105
NamUs Case Number: MP78513

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
5505DMRI - Francisco Do Nascimento Pimentel

It seems a lot is missing from this case. If he boarded a train with his recruiter and other recruits no one saw him? Did this train make additional stops where he might have exited the train? Otherwise how does he just disappear off the train and not seen? I dont know where the Amtrak stations are if there is one outside of Fort Dix.

I've reached out to FRDP re Philipstown Doe found in NY in 1985 to see whether Francisco had braces at one point (assuming that is a correct finding for Doe). From there, I see enough potential identifiers to think it's worth a shot:
- east coast, found with NY/NJ map (Pimental originally headed there)
- strong build, bone structure (2 different facial recons on NamUs); I see notable similarity in "height" of eye placement
- brown hair, similar length, described as "straight" on Doe
- possibly traveled by hitching (cb mentioned)
- prayer card - "Nascimiento" is 'Christ's birth', potentially still practicing Catholic
- Deceased 1983 (or earlier), Francisco would be younger than upper est. of Doe, but that's likely based on wear to the bones and arthritis. He could certainly have survived through day labor work.

Update: A DNA sample has been obtained from a relative of Francisco. I hope to hear more as, and if, this unfolds.
Meanwhile, a look at our tax dollars at work...I just called (4.11.24 3pm) the NYS Troop barracks listed for Philipstown Doe and said I'm in contact with FRPD and looking for which NY lab has the unidentified man's DNA. The officer then asked me Doe's name. This is real life, so ponder that for a few.

It seems a lot is missing from this case. If he boarded a train with his recruiter and other recruits no one saw him? Did this train make additional stops where he might have exited the train? Otherwise how does he just disappear off the train and not seen? I dont know where the Amtrak stations are if there is one outside of Fort Dix.
ITA. So much detail missing here.

August 8, 1976 was a Sunday, so that limited what train they all could've taken.

It isn't said what train he got on, but IMO it was in the morning, either #169, the Minute Man to Washington DC, or #171, the Southern Crescent to DC, Atlanta and (triweekly) New Orleans. Destination of these new recruits was probably Trenton, it's a 30-minute drive from the station to the Fort Dix base gate via US 206 and NJ 68, today and probably back then too (I-195, I-295 and the 29/129 freeway which Google prefers weren't completed in the area for many more years). I'm guessing an Army bus, probably the same as a school bus, took them from the station to the base.
I think it was train 169 which FP and his fellow recruits took. Originating in Boston South Station, after leaving Providence at 8:39 AM it stopped at Kingston, Westerly, Mystic, New London, New Haven, Bridgeport, Rye (long since replaced by New Rochelle as an Amtrak stop), Penn Station New York, Newark, reaching Trenton at 2:00 PM before going on to Philly, Baltimore and DC. Train 171 was exactly 2 hours later all around, it also would've worked out to reach base and have chow before sunset. The next train after that, 173, did not stop at Trenton.

The Museum of Railway Timetables (timetables.org)
The Museum of Railway Timetables (timetables.org)
ttdisplay2.jpg

Trains back then stopped at Penn Station for longer than they do today (this will have significance further on in this post). They also stopped at New Haven for at least 10 minutes to change from diesel to electric, before the line was electrified north to Boston in 2000 as part of the Acela project.

I think FP was first noticed missing at roll call on the platform at Trenton (or as the train approached Trenton), but I don't think that's where he went missing. I think it happened at Penn Station. Had he never been to NYC before, and did he want to catch a glimpse of the city before basic training (or have a beer in the station away from the watchful eye of the recruiter--drinking age in NY, NJ and all of New England was 18 back then), underestimated the time, missed the train, and something then (or later) happened to him in a New York minute? Or did he realize the deep doodoo he'd be in, and decide to strike out on a different career path then and there?

Why would an Amtrak train be late? /s Seriously, though, in Amtrak's national timetable effective June 15, 1976, the notation under the Northeast Corridor pages reads "Due to track rehabilitation in progress, schedules shown in this timetable between Boston and New Haven have temporarily been lengthened." This meant trains behind schedule might leave stations earlier to try and make up time, Penn Station included. FP undoubtedly had no idea of this, and possibly had never been on an Amtrak train before, only being told by his recruiter when and where to catch the train without ever needing to consult a timetable. Could he have heard the conductor announce "New York", and after sitting in his seat for hours, wanted to stretch his legs or have a cold one but ended up doing much more than he bargained for?

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back