RI RI - Linda Carman, 54, Point Judith, 18 Sept 2016 *SON ARRESTED, dies before trial*

Sure it's not a yacht but I'm not sure I'd call it rinky-dink? From pics I've seen posted online it seems him and his Mom enjoyed fishing together, very possible due to where they lived that they (her) owned this boat prior to any inheritance she might have received and if they found it adequate for their needs then maybe they saw no need to just buy a bigger/better one?

View attachment 102336

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...eturns-home/No5gzzO4OTaUQ4zkoyT7VM/story.html

Totally not rinky dink.

:thinking: :jail:

Thanks Spider for your reasoned balanced answer. As for me, if I inherited even 1 mil. I'd have improved my boating standards, but thats just me. Perhaps because I don't swim, but I love the water. To each their own.

I guess its one thing to renovate a house that has potential (for example, building on 2 extra floors as the photos showed),
But one cannot build on to an aluminum craft like his is and if it takes on water, its not the same as a house taking on water is it? :gaah:
Agreed. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't be volunteering to jump on a small self repaird boat and head 100 miles offshore - just saying he might have a propensity to do some improvements on his own. I thought the two story home addition was....interesting.

IMO he worked on his house bc he wanted to. It was plenty big enough--4 bedrooms, antique house. And the additional floors with an atrium or bow window on the 3rd floor are out of character. All of which makes me wonder if he was trying to re-create one of his grandparents' homes.

The article I linked earlier that stated there is no door knob on the front door and windows open with no screens. But it may have been describing the porch. It looks like the original house was modified to add a full-length porch across the front. With Vermont,'s climate, it is enclosed. So a missing door knob or open windows on the porch would not be as unusual as it sounded.

As far as Nathan inheriting money from his grandfather, if John was smart with money (and it sounds as if he was), he may have provided a trust with a set annual amount for Nathan until he reached 25 or his entire lifetime. Perhaps any inheritance Linda received had similar conditions while her sisters's inheritance did not. If John did not provide for all the grandchildren directly in his will, he may have done so for Nathan because of a special relationship or Linda's history with finances or Nathan's Asperger's.

[video=youtube;Rtl0oYJ9H7I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtl0oYJ9H7I[/video]

It has the radio call between Nathan and the Coast Guard.

carman rescue.jpg from link above. An amazing photo gallery of the rescue.

Video of Nathan's rescue and an interview w the captain of the freighter.
http://www.courant.com/news/connect...-freighter-captain-speaks-20161003-story.html
There are some amazing pictures there.

From the article:

The captain of the freighter that rescued Nathan Carman said Monday that the man who says he spent eight days at sea in a raft "looked tired" when he climbed aboard the freighter but otherwise was healthy.
[..]
"He was very tired but he walked by himself and didn't need any help," the captain said. "He didn't appear to be suffering from hypothermia or dehydration."

Carman was wearing a red life jacket, long-sleeve shirt and blue jeans when he climbed aboard the Orient Lucky.

"The crew asked him what happened and he said he was fishing with his mom and the vessel started sinking and he jumped off and then couldn't find his mom," the captain said.
[...]
In the recording of Carman's brief conversation with the Coast Guard via radio from the Orient Lucky, he told authorities that engine noises first signaled a problem that eventually sank his boat, leaving him adrift in a life raft and his mother missing.

"There was a funny noise in the engine compartment. I looked and saw a lot of water. ... I brought the safety stuff forward ... the boat just dropped out from under my feet," he said in the ship-to-shore conversation soon after he was rescued by the freighter.

When I saw the life raft, I did not see my mom," Carman said.
[...]
Law enforcement officials from Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts as well as federal authorities, the Coast Guard and others met for several hours Monday at the U.S. attorney's office in New Haven to discuss the Carman case.

Several agencies had representatives at the meeting while others participated via conference call.

No sunburn, hypothernia, dehydration, sores from poor hygiene/saltwater etc ...after 8 days of exposure to the elements!?

This story does not make sense at all!

I guess now we wait to see who has jurisdiction over the matter and what they come up with.

The story doesn't make sense to me either. I love that area. Narragansett is my favorite place to be. I was at that marina just days before they went missing. I'll have to go through the pictures I took to see if I got any of his boat. I saw an interview from a gentleman that said he was talking to Nathan that day and he never saw his mother and Nathan never mentioned he was going fishing with his mother. It makes me wonder was she ever on the boat? Did he kill her else where? Is she alive and wants to be thought to be dead? A very strange family. The mother assaulted her father and was a suspect in her fathers death as well as Nathan. Another thing that was reported on the news was that other family members were afraid of him and hired body guards for themselves. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

In the Crime watch video (above) at around :30 there are pictures of the boat.

The story doesn't make sense to me either. I love that area. Narragansett is my favorite place to be. I was at that marina just days before they went missing. I'll have to go through the pictures I took to see if I got any of his boat. I saw an interview from a gentleman that said he was talking to Nathan that day and he never saw his mother and Nathan never mentioned he was going fishing with his mother. It makes me wonder was she ever on the boat? Did he kill her else where? Is she alive and wants to be thought to be dead? A very strange family. The mother assaulted her father and was a suspect in her fathers death as well as Nathan. Another thing that was reported on the news was that other family members were afraid of him and hired body guards for themselves. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I wonder if he dragged a heavy bag of "supplies" onto his boat.

There are some amazing pictures there.

From the article:

The captain of the freighter that rescued Nathan Carman said Monday that the man who says he spent eight days at sea in a raft "looked tired" when he climbed aboard the freighter but otherwise was healthy.
[..]
"He was very tired but he walked by himself and didn't need any help," the captain said. "He didn't appear to be suffering from hypothermia or dehydration."

Carman was wearing a red life jacket, long-sleeve shirt and blue jeans when he climbed aboard the Orient Lucky.

"The crew asked him what happened and he said he was fishing with his mom and the vessel started sinking and he jumped off and then couldn't find his mom," the captain said.
[...]
In the recording of Carman's brief conversation with the Coast Guard via radio from the Orient Lucky, he told authorities that engine noises first signaled a problem that eventually sank his boat, leaving him adrift in a life raft and his mother missing.

"There was a funny noise in the engine compartment. I looked and saw a lot of water. ... I brought the safety stuff forward ... the boat just dropped out from under my feet," he said in the ship-to-shore conversation soon after he was rescued by the freighter.

When I saw the life raft, I did not see my mom," Carman said.
[...]
Law enforcement officials from Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts as well as federal authorities, the Coast Guard and others met for several hours Monday at the U.S. attorney's office in New Haven to discuss the Carman case.

Several agencies had representatives at the meeting while others participated via conference call.

No sunburn, hypothernia, dehydration, sores from poor hygiene/saltwater etc ...after 8 days of exposure to the elements!?

This story does not make sense at all!

I guess now we wait to see who has jurisdiction over the matter and what they come up with.

BBM;
This is what first tipped my hinky meter. He brought the safety stuff forward. OK so the raft has to be inflated which is fast AFAIK. But He did that, got on his life vest, loaded the raft with 8 days worth of food and water for 2 but never took care of Mom in that space of time? Did he make sure she put her vest on? He lost track of her? Was she helping? The panic and anxiety would be huge.

The boat disappeared from under him? He heard a noise and then saw a foot of water. Unless the bilge pump was pumping into the deck I don't see that happening. Even then I would think as close as they were he would stay close with her in that situation. In fact given his Aspergers I would think she would be looking after him.

He saw the raft but didn't see mom? Was she talking before that? Yelling? Screaming? Helping?

It's a good question IMO as to whether she was actually on the boat (alive) to begin with.

I wonder if LE is using dogs at his VT property.

The whole 'no sunburn' thing is really what seals it for me.

It was covered though, something I wasn't sure of before. Still he had plenty of food and water to stay hydrated and fed without rationing ( sure). My guess is still that he wasn't inthat raft more than a day.

If they do soundings near where he was found I bet they will find the boat close to the shipping lane. I wonder if the coast guard questioned him as to what markers he mapped and remembers and plotted his drift.

I agree that the type of raft explains the lack of exposure and sunburn.

It was common for them to leave on fishing trips during the night. It doesn't seems suspicious that a person at the marina at 4pm didn't see his mother or any fishing gear.

IMO Linda's body is in the ocean but the question is whether she ended up dead because of an accident, negligence/recklessness, or homicide. Another scenario I haven't heard mentioned is that it is possible Nathan dropped her off someplace on land to begin a new life. If her inheritance was in a trust or something where she had limited access but she had life insurance that would not pay out with no strings attached.... Far-fetched, I know. Just thinking of all possibilities.

One other possibility--not a serious contender--perhaps Linda forced Nathan into the life raft and she took off in the boat.

Nathan wrote two letters to the captain while on the freighter. He handed them to the captain and thanked him before he left the ship.

If my mom is lost, which I fear is likely, I will have no one on Earth who will welcome me sincerely into their home," Nathan Carman wrote to Capt. Zhao Hengdong of the Orient Lucky.

"So I appreciate the efforts you and your crew have made to make your ship a home to me while I have been aboard

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-nathan-carman-captains-letter-20161005-story.html

I really hope they are searching for the boat! Are they??

I really hope they are searching for the boat! Are they??
I think they spent a week looking for the boat initially and came up empty. I doubt they will look again absent specific information pinpointing a location.

I don't know if they are actively looking for the boat. I think LE is probably figuring out where the boat sank based on where Nathan was found and when he said it sank. There are quire a few investigations going on.

State, local and federal law enforcement authorities are still investigating the incident. The Coast Guard has suspended the search for Linda Carman.

Law enforcement officials from Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts as well as federal authorities, the Coast Guard and others met for several hours Monday at the U.S. attorney’s office in New Haven to discuss the Carman case.

The discussion focused on, among other things, jurisdictional matters and what role each agency will play in continuing investigations. There was also a discussion of investigations involving the same parties that are underway in different places.

www.providencejournal.com/news/2016...rman-was-healthy-seemed-very-sad-after-rescue

You know, it's probably an unpopular opinion but I think this young man is innocent. How many 22 year olds fish with their mother? I did when I was around that age. Is there any evidence or hearsay suggesting that him and his Mom had a dispute or disagreement?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back