Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Report

Dark Knight

Reaction score

Two of the biggest rock bands of the 1980s took different paths to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Monday — indie favorites R.E.M. with a happy reunion and party band Van Halen with a fragmentary turnout.

Otherwise, the hall took on a New York flavor with the girl group sound of Spanish Harlem's the Ronettes, downtown poet Patti Smith and South Bronx's Grandmaster Flash, the first hip-hop act so honored.

The rock hall's 22nd annual induction ceremony was the first beamed live to the world, through VH1 Classic and aol.com.

Out of Athens, Ga., R.E.M. largely invented the college radio scene in the 1980s with songs like "Radio Free Europe," then became mainstream stars behind hits "Losing My Religion" and "Everybody Hurts."

R.E.M performed again Monday with its original quartet, welcoming back drummer Bill Berry, who had left the band in 1997 after suffering an aneurysm onstage two years earlier. They tackled a couple of songs from R.E.M.'s early years: "Begin the Begin" and "Gardening at Night."

Only Van Halen's second lead singer, Sammy Hagar, and ex-bass player Michael Anthony turned up for their induction. Guitarist Eddie Van Halen has just gone into rehab and original lead singer David Lee Roth stayed away in a tiff over what he would perform.

Hagar said he wished his bandmates could be there, but "it's out of our control."

"It's hard for Mike and I to be up here to do this, but you couldn't have kept me away from this with a shotgun," Hagar said.

It took less to keep Roth away. He stood up the hall, reportedly because he couldn't agree on what to sing with the band Velvet Revolver, which offered a tribute. Joel Peresman, president and CEO of the Hall of Fame, said Roth was offered a chance to sing a song of his choice with the house band. "The decision not to come was solely his, not ours."

Hagar and Anthony joined Velvet Revolver to sing "Why Can't This Be Love."

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five represented the first of what may someday be many hip-hop artists. Flash's turntable scratching techniques and the memorable refrain of "The Message" — "don't push me 'cause I'm close to the edge" — were recalled.

Shy and fighting back tears as she accepted induction, Smith recalled friends and family who didn't live to see the day. Shortly before he died, Smith's husband Fred "Sonic" Smith asked her when she did make the hall of fame to "please accept it like a lady and not to say any curse words."

The bohemian poet straddled the hippie and punk eras, with her album "Horses" setting a standard for literate rock. She performed her biggest hit, "Because the Night," co-written with Bruce Springsteen, and the Rolling Stones' classic "Gimme Shelter."

With jewelry dangling from his hair, a mustachioed Keith Richards inducted the Ronettes, the New York City girl group who sang 1960s era pop symphonies like "Be My Baby" and "Baby I Love You." He recalled hearing them the first time on a tour together in England.

Lead singer Ronnie Spector thanked a list of people from Cher to Springsteen to her publicist — but made no mention of ex-husband Phil Spector, the producer whose gigantic "wall of sound" is synonymous with the act. Phil Spector's trial for the murder of an actress at his suburban Los Angeles mansion is due to start next week.

After the Ronettes sang a trio of their hits, bandleader Paul Shaffer came to the microphone to read a note from Phil Spector, who said "I wish them all the happiness and good fortune the world has to offer."

More at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070313/ap_on_en_mu/rock_hall

Hey cool, REM are probably my all time favourite band- I never knew the drummer had an aneurysm on stage..

I knew I didn't like DLR, he should have been grateful he was even there at all, he should have just gone and sang what everyone else wanted to sing

DLR acted like an a$$. He was given the opportunity to chose the song he wanted to with Velvet Revolver and he acted like a baby.

I'm glad Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony showed up, I wonder where Alex Van Halen was?

the original tez said:
DLR acted like an a$$. He was given the opportunity to chose the song he wanted to with Velvet Revolver and he acted like a baby.

I'm glad Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony showed up, I wonder where Alex Van Halen was?

Hey Tez -

Supposedly Alex didn't show up because there is bad blood between he and the other two. :rolleyes:

Most bands don't make it to the RRHoF - you'd think they could have put their differences aside long enough to act like adults and accept the award. :snooty:

Jules said:
Hey Tez -

Supposedly Alex didn't show up because there is bad blood between he and the other two. :rolleyes:

Most bands don't make it to the RRHoF - you'd think they could have put their differences aside long enough to act like adults and accept the award. :snooty:
AMEN!! Not to show up - there's no excuse for that when your band is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Shame, shame on Alex! :razz:

I've always liked Sammy Hagar - I'm glad he and Michael Anthony showed up. :clap:

I LOVE REM :p One of my fav's..

Jules said:
Hey Tez -

You would think....And why couldn't Eddie Van Halen hold off a few days before he went into rehab? I mean, it's not like his problem was new or anything like that!
bang.gif

the original tez said:
You would think....And why couldn't Eddie Van Halen hold off a few days before he went into rehab? I mean, it's not like his problem was new or anything like that!
bang.gif

I think Eddie used the whole 'rehab' thing as a way NOT to have to go. :loser:

Jules said:
I think Eddie used the whole 'rehab' thing as a way NOT to have to go. :loser:

Oh yeah, you know he did. Which I think is terrible. Van Halen wouldn't have existed except for his awesome guitar playing. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back