Rockets to light up the sky

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by legalmania, Mar 14, 2012.

1. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

Don't be alarmed if you see some unexpected white streams of light expected to launch anywhere from March 15 tonight until April 4th. Nasa is trying an experiment to send 5 rockets into the jet stream to try to understand atmosphere currents better. Read more below:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/missions/atrex.html

2. Loading...

3. Reality Orlando

Reality Orlando Verified Aquaculturalist

Thanks! I spend a lot of time outside and living about 15-20 minutes from the coast, I'm sure to see them especially if they are night launches (which I love and will miss :(

4. legalmania

From what I understand they are being launched from Virginia. I loved watching the launches also, there is nothing like it. I would stay up all night if I had to, to watch one take off.

5. Dr.Fessel

Dr.Fessel New Member

Jim Cantore ‏ @JimCantore

Retweeted
    Favorite
    · Open

If you see a glow off the east coast between midnight and 1:30 tonight here is why: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=134891581 #NASA

6. Dr.Fessel

Dr.Fessel New Member

Not tonight.

Jim Cantore ‏ @JimCantore

Retweet
    Favorite
    · Open

NASA has scrubbed tonight's launch of the 5 suborbital sounding rockets from Wallops Facility till potentially Friday: http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/webcast/

7. legalmania

Wonder if the mission was scrubbed because the President is having dinner with Prime Minister David on the south lawn tonight. After all we don't want the Pres and the Prime Minister inhaling trimethyl aluminum.

8. Dr.Fessel

Dr.Fessel New Member

We don't? :waitasec:

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

9. Dr.Fessel

Dr.Fessel New Member

I remember years ago they dumped boron out of the space shuttle for some kind of test. I just happened to be outside and saw a big read band going across the sky like northern lights.

10. elmomom

elmomom I may lean, but I sit on a fence

Scrubbed for radio signal trouble (it's on the link in the first post). Thanks for posting this, as I am in the viewing area, and it is very dark here with little or no ambient light, so it is likely that it would have freaked me out had I not known while out with the dogs... Now to keep an eye on it to see when they will reschedule it for!

11. legalmania

Sounds like it looked really cool but I wouldn't care to inhale it.

12. legalmania

Lucky you I'm not even close to the viewing area. Hope your able to capture a video of it and post it for us poor out of the area citizens.

13. ThoughtFox

ThoughtFox Expecting the Unexpected

OMG, was that back in the 1970s? I remember because my sister was taking an astronomy mini-course in middle school (from my future father-in-law who was her teacher), and she was supposed to go outside to star-gaze and we all ended up seeing the big red blurry cloud in the sky! I'll never forget that! We stayed up to watch the local news and the meteorologist said it was some type of gas residue from a rocket.

What the heck is a "sounding rocket" anyway? :what:

14. ScubaTwinn

ScubaTwinn New Member

The first space shuttle was not launched until April 1981.

And I've set my alarm to get up and watch a night launch. :)

15. legalmania

A "sounding rocket" is a research rocket, an instrument carring rocket designed to take measurements.

16. legalmania

Hey everyone if you are interested in seeing the rockets launch but are not in the site zone there will be a live webcast: From what I understand they will start the site 2 hrs. before the launch. There will be a short briefing tonight on whether there will be a launch tonight.

http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/webcast/

17. Dr.Fessel

Dr.Fessel New Member

I want to say it was in the 80s some time. It was really freaky because I was on vacation and we went to my moms in Lakewood Il and a bunch of the family were there and we just happened to be in the yard that night. We saw the explanation on the news tool.

18. Quiche

Quiche New Member

Does anyone else get the feeling that there's more to this "test" than just studying the uppermost currents? Like, are they trying to influence the stream to adjust to it's normal, more southerly, position?

I've always wondered about the govs ability to control/influence the weather.

After googling, I opted out of linking to any of those sites, but this wiki page has a lot of info and many reliable resources for further reading.

Weather control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

19. Reality Orlando

Reality Orlando Verified Aquaculturalist

From the NASA site: http://sites.wff.nasa.gov/webcast/[/QUOTE]

Posted by RCC on 2012-03-16 at 16:43:02 EDT
    The ATREX mission has been rescheduled to no earlier than the night of Sunday, March 18. The March 17 count was canceld because of expected poor weather. A decision on whether to count March 18 will be made Saturday evening, March 17 after a weather briefing.

20. legalmania

Posted by RCC on 2012-03-16 at 16:43:02 EDT
    The ATREX mission has been rescheduled to no earlier than the night of Sunday, March 18. The March 17 count was canceld because of expected poor weather. A decision on whether to count March 18 will be made Saturday evening, March 17 after a weather briefing.[/quote]

Oh for crying out loud, what the heck. Are we going to have to go through this everyday until the 4th of April?

21. legalmania

I always think about Woodstock when I see the movie that some of the people believed that they were seeding the clouds, and that's what created the rain. If you want to read about something scary read about HAARP.

http://www.bariumblues.com/index.htm