Routier asks for Discovery of the DA's files...

cami

Keep your fork......
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
DALLAS (1080 KRLD) - 22-years after she was convicted of murdering her own child and sentenced to death a team of lawyers is finally getting a peek inside the District Attorney's court files in Darlie Routier's case.

Since Monday, two lawyers working on Routier's appeal have poring over the DA's files from 1996. The lawyers want to see if there was any information that was not turned over to the defense or other matters that could help in the appeal. But the public disclosure of their findings may not be made public. Under a court order signed by State District Judge Gracie Lewis, the defense can look at the files, but cannot disclose a lot of things they may learn.

Routier's two boys were killed in Routier's Rowlett home in 1996. She was found guilty of murdering one son, Damon, back in 1997. She was never charged with the murder the second child, Devon. Routier was sentenced to death but DNA testing has taken time and is still pending.

Last month, Lewis signed an order allowing the defense to send an unidentified bloody fingerprint, lifted off a table, to State investigators in Austin for testing.

Routier's case has caught national attention after the Innocence Project lended its support. Prosecutors stand by their conviction.

Looks as if the clock is ticking on Routier. Does this mean 85J could not be matched? I think so. It appears they are now looking for any technicality to get her a new trial.

Attachments

• New Order For Discovery (1).pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 18
DALLAS (1080 KRLD) - 22-years after she was convicted of murdering her own child and sentenced to death a team of lawyers is finally getting a peek inside the District Attorney's court files in Darlie Routier's case.

Since Monday, two lawyers working on Routier's appeal have poring over the DA's files from 1996. The lawyers want to see if there was any information that was not turned over to the defense or other matters that could help in the appeal. But the public disclosure of their findings may not be made public. Under a court order signed by State District Judge Gracie Lewis, the defense can look at the files, but cannot disclose a lot of things they may learn.

Routier's two boys were killed in Routier's Rowlett home in 1996. She was found guilty of murdering one son, Damon, back in 1997. She was never charged with the murder the second child, Devon. Routier was sentenced to death but DNA testing has taken time and is still pending.

Last month, Lewis signed an order allowing the defense to send an unidentified bloody fingerprint, lifted off a table, to State investigators in Austin for testing.

Routier's case has caught national attention after the Innocence Project lended its support. Prosecutors stand by their conviction.

Looks as if the clock is ticking on Routier. Does this mean 85J could not be matched? I think so. It appears they are now looking for any technicality to get her a new trial.
Interesting, thanks for the update, Cami. Could you remind me what 85J is ? TIA

ETA: Nevermind, this is the bloody partial print on the coffee table. Even more interesting.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for the update, Cami. Could you remind me what 85J is ? TIA

ETA: Nevermind, this is the bloody partial print on the coffee table. Even more interesting.
Yes it is. In the order accompanying the print they know that it might not match DPS standards to run it through IAFIS. They reserved the right to seek further analysis and testing.

BBM
This is my issue with the case and why I'm un trusting WHY was this not done before...that makes no sense , if you have a print RUN IT. It's a Murder case of two children ALL evidence should be checked out for both sides of the argument. Cami , why wouldn't they do this to begin with?

BBM
This is my issue with the case and why I'm un trusting WHY was this not done before...that makes no sense , if you have a print RUN IT. It's a Murder case of two children ALL evidence should be checked out for both sides of the argument. Cami , why wouldn't they do this to begin with?
Because it's unidentifiable. It's a partially smudged patent print. It didn't have enough points to identify it so it didn't qualify for IAFIS in 1996.

Because it's unidentifiable. It's a partially smudged patent print. It didn't have enough points to identify it so it didn't qualify for IAFIS in 1996.
That's my understanding too. From what I've read print 85J has been analyzed by a number of experts over the years with differing conclusions. But without enough points for comparison running it through the database IMO would either return 0 results or else millions - kind of like a bad Google search that returns irrelevant hits. Or, depending on the system's programming it may just reject the print altogether.

And according to Darlie's lawyer 85J is also useless for testing DNA using newer technology:

Asked if any results so far are ground-breaking, Cooper responded: “There’s a couple things I am excited about. However, it’s not ground-breaking as I believe you are using the term.”

Cooper said some previous testing included pubic hair found at the scene and was of no use.

He added that time has also taken a toll on other potential evidence.

“The 85-J unknown fingerprint was in blood and we’ve tested that and there’s no DNA in it. It’s just degraded over time.”

As for evidence proving the intruder defense, Cooper said, “We don’t have that yet but we’re still working.”
New DNA Testing Underway in Darlie Routier Murder Case

That's my understanding too. From what I've read print 85J has been analyzed by a number of experts over the years with differing conclusions. But without enough points for comparison running it through the database IMO would either return 0 results or else millions - kind of like a bad Google search that returns irrelevant hits. Or, depending on the system's programming it may just reject the print altogether.

And according to Darlie's lawyer 85J is also useless for testing DNA using newer technology:

New DNA Testing Underway in Darlie Routier Murder Case
That's not true. In 2015 the print blood from 85J was Y-STR DNA analysed. Y-STR testing isolates the male gene. It is very definitive. No male gene was found in that print blood. Darlie's lawyer lies a lot.

It has been analysed by several experts and none can identify it. If it even does go through a database and there are a number of hits, then they have to go back to print cards so they are right back where they started.

I believe the lack of any male DNA in the print blood is more telling anyway. It's Darlie's blood they always knew that, but it could contain oils or sweat from the invisible intruder but the DNA testing blows that out of the water.

This is obviously her desperate last attempt to get off death row before they set an execution date for her.
Texas don’t mess around and after 23 years on death row her time is running out.
I hope this last ditch plea is proven to be what it is: a desperate attempt to avoid being strapped to a gurney. I watched the Werner Herzog doc the other day and still my opinion is the same. She murdered her boys in cold blood then has the audacity to sit and smile while talking about them. She’s still carrying on this charade 23 years later and it’s getting boring now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back