Recovered/Located Roy H., 19, Visiting Washington, D.C. from Germany, Unable to check into hostel, missed flight home, 20 April 2022

ChatteringBirds

Reaction score
Here is a new missing person's case in NamUs. A 19-year-old visitor from Germany to D.C. was unable to check into his hostel and last seen in a restaurant in D.C. He missed his planned flight home. I hope he is located safe very soon.

Thumbnail9999.png

Height: 5' 8" - 5' 10" (68 - 70 Inches)
Weight: 150 - 180 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown

Clothing: Black/grey jacket, black backpack, blue jeans, black shoes

Circumstances of Disappearance
M-1 arrived in DC on 4/20/22 after taking a flight from Germany. M-1 took a cab to a hostel in DC but was unable to check in. M-1 was last seen on video at a restaurant in the 1100 block of U St NW, DC. M-1 was supposed to take a flight home to Germany the following week but never made the flight.

True. But whatever problem occured at his planned hostel makes me worry about his safety. Also I assume he isn't in touch with relatives, hence being reported missing. But hopefully it's something like this.

Yes, I'd like to hear more from his family regarding his trip to Washington DC.

Was his trip actually for tourism?

Was he planning on visiting just general tourist sites (The White House, Lincoln Memorial etc.) ?

Why was he unable to check in to his hostel? Did he arrive too early?

He was last seen at a restaurant, no CCTV afterwards if which direction he went?

Any trace on his bank account/debit card and last use/ping of his phone?

It is likely he was staying at the U street hostel, located right near the 1100 block of U Street near where he was last seen.

According to some Google reviews of this place, the hostel uses the Goki app to check in to the hostel with a code.
Perhaps coming from Germany, he didn't have a US some card and had to find WiFi to get his code to check in?

Or perhaps he couldn't download the app or get it to work and just gave up?

It can be difficult if you don't have a working U.S. SIM card, but once you have WiFi, and many bars and restaurants do, you can do anything.....even book somewhere else close by to stay!

MOO.

It is likely he was staying at the U street hostel, located right near the 1100 block of U Street near where he was last seen.

According to some Google reviews of this place, the hostel uses the Goki app to check in to the hostel with a code.
Perhaps coming from Germany, he didn't have a US some card and had to find WiFi to get his code to check in?

It can be difficult if you don't have a working U.S. SIM card, but once you have WiFi, and many bars and restaurants do, you can do anything.....even book somewhere else close by to stay!

MOO.
Good sleuthing. I wonder how he planned to spend his week in the U.S./purpose for his travel? I'm not finding any info. Have his family reached out to anyone? I'm puzzled by the lack of publicity.

April, May, June, July & now August without contact with his family or friends? I hope he was not a crime victim.

Maybe the lack of clues is the problem? Is there embassy involvement?

The silence speaks too loud on this one.
JMO

MOO.
Or perhaps he is like me....not owning a cell phone.

This trend for businesses and agencies, of assuming that everyone carries a cell phone, is disturbing. Some of us don't want to be cyborgs; we should not be prevented from participating fully in society, for insisting upon remaining fully human.

This trend for businesses and agencies, of assuming that everyone carries a cell phone, is disturbing. Some of us don't want to be cyborgs; we should not be prevented from participating fully in society, for insisting upon remaining fully human.
I do agree. Especially when it involves checking into a hotel/hostel.
I've stayed in places like that myself when overseas and while it can be useful for out-of-hours check in, it does give you worries that you won't get signal/WiFi/enough battery and that you won't be able get the door codes and get inside. Not nice when it's night and everywhere else is shut up.

I've also noticed more and more parking lots needing you to use an app to park, and also restaurants to order food, even if you're sitting inside. It must save them printing up menus or something.

Glad to see he's been located. & He could probably contact Websleuths if he wants this thread removed (?)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back