Rudy Guede now eligible for day release

Status
Not open for further replies.
the first four links were post-sec. were they even read? (and yes, am well aware the difference b/w grade school and post-sec... but it seems my overall point was missed/ignored...)

that guede's "rights" are being advocated for, is confusing. no one here would do similar for JA or CA (hypothetically) imo. there'd be a loud uproar w/ day release for sure.

while incarcerated, karla homolka earned a psych degree from one of the more prestigious uni's in canada... if she could do that, so can other prisoners imo.

lets wait and see if he really takes advantage of this opportunity to turn his life around...

What I find confusing is people that complain about the Italian justice system being out to get certain people but then complaining about the lax sentencing.

[modsnip]

I find it appalling that RG is serving such a short sentence and think that all those involved in this gruesome crime need harsher sentences. I think they all would have been treated much more harshly in the US.

From their point of view, I guess they're lucky they did this in Italy.

The letters from Guede posted on some Facebook page started in mid January are a hoax IMO. There's no confirmation from Biscotti that he wrote them or how they ended up on Facebook. One of the letters has him saying he was acquitted of simulating the crime scene yet he was never charged with that.

I think it's very telling excuses are being made for this violent predator being allowed back on the streets within months after only 6.5 years.

What sort of excuses are made?

Italy and other EU countries have judicial systems that release young adults that murder after seven years. I don't think anyone needs to make excuses for those laws. I have only tried to offer an understanding.

Italy and other EU countries have judicial systems that release young adults that murder after seven years. I don't think anyone needs to make excuses for those laws. I have only tried to offer an understanding.
Indeed. Here, the average served on a 'life' sentence is actually 14 years and we're pretty severe in comparison to some other EU countries. Currently, we do still have whole life tariffs (UK's LWOP) but right now there are less than 50 prisoners who have been sentenced as such. Yes, you really read that right. ;)

Just FWIW. :)

Indeed. Here, the average served on a 'life' sentence is actually 14 years and we're pretty severe in comparison to some other EU countries. Currently, we do still have whole life tariffs (UK's LWOP) but right now there are less than 50 prisoners who have been sentenced as such. Yes, you really read that right. ;)

Just FWIW. :)

Thanks. I've been exploring whether Guede's sentence is really something worthy of outrage. Essentially, this has nothing to do with Guede. Instead, there appears to be some outrage (clearly not from the EU) about the criminal justice system in several EU countries. We saw the same outrage when the same system was applied to v.d.Sloot. When v.d.Sloot could be held for months without charges and interrogated without a lawyer, everyone appreciated the Dutch laws. As soon as those same laws meant that v.d.Sloot would be released, there was outrage. In this case, Italian laws mean that new evidence can be introduced during appeal. Those laws are appreciated, but when those same laws result in conviction, or release after 7 years for a murder conviction, there is outrage.

Even in 1985, German laws gave lenient sentences to young adults that committed murder. Jens Soering wanted to be tried for murder in Germany to avoid the long US sentences. He was tried and convicted in the US. He was eligible for parole in 2003. He is still in prison and still applying for parole to Germany. At this point, his sentence is purely punitive.

"According to the account provided later to local police, Soering and Elizabeth Haysom decided to kill Haysom's parents; and, to divert suspicion, they rented a car in Charlottesville and drove to Washington D.C. On 30 March 1985, ..."

"In court, Jens Soering claimed that Haysom was the murderer and he wanted to spare her the death penalty by confessing. Soering later claimed to have assumed that, due to his father's diplomatic immunity, he would be extradited to Germany and be sentenced according to local juvenile criminal law to a sentence of less than 10 years."

http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/soering-jens.htm

He's only being released because he got a deal otherwise it would have been a life sentence. The prosecution never appealed his massive sentence reduction. Wonder why? John Douglas believes he'll kill again because he's gotten away with his crimes which empowers criminals to do it again. In this case he raped a corpse which is necrophilia. That sort of criminal should never be released and I don't believe in rehabilitation.

He's only being released because he got a deal otherwise it would have been a life sentence. The prosecution never appealed his massive sentence reduction. Wonder why? John Douglas believes he will kill again because he's gotten away with his crimes which empowers criminals to do it again. His crime in this case involved raping a corpse which is necrophilia. His next victims family will want answers.

What "deal" did Guede get?

Guede's DNA was found inside Kercher, yet he was not charged with sexual assault. That alone is a good indication that Guede got special treatment.

Guede's DNA was found inside Kercher, yet he was not charged with sexual assault. That alone is a good indication that Guede got special treatment.

He was charged and convicted of sexual assault. He's getting out because Mignini never appealed his sentence reduction, he named Amanda and Raffaele at his trial and because Micheli acquitted the thief of theft.

I posted previously from Angel Face the paragraph where Barbie runs into Biscotti in the cafe and Biscotti was boasting about the deal Guede got just before his sentence reduction was announced.

He's only being released because he got a deal otherwise it would have been a life sentence. The prosecution never appealed his massive sentence reduction. Wonder why? John Douglas believes he'll kill again because he's gotten away with his crimes which empowers criminals to do it again. In this case he raped a corpse which is necrophilia. That sort of criminal should never be released and I don't believe in rehabilitation.
That's actually unlikely. Not impossible, of course, but out of the approximately 94k inmates in UK prisons, less than 50 are currently serving whole life tariffs. The 94k out of a population of 60 million tells one that not everyone who commits a crime faces prison as a result. Hardly.

Further, the EU has recently ruled that LWOP contravenes human rights so right now there is a lot of debate altogether. Some EU countries have already banned such sentences while others are fighting the EU ruling (or discussing changing national laws to bypass the EU ruling, as in the UK).

Lastly, the only 'deal' for RG is that which is available to every defendant in Italy's criminal justice system.
-----------------
All that said though, I certainly don't want RG to be roaming the streets either. ;) I believe in much harsher penalties than those generally given here (with the onus that I'm biased, being American) but a lot of European nationals do too. Sometimes, society's hands are tied by the politicians it elects and others, a nation's hands are tied by EU law.

It is hard to argue rehabilitative versus punitive when one considers the recidivism rate is much lower in Europe...but by and large, I think it's hard to quantify just how very different the European system is to the American, from the bottom up. Here, you don't have access to a sex offender registry; you can't look up arrest records, booking photos, and court minutes; few cameras in courtrooms; strict media laws around reporting (or even commenting on!) court cases, and on and on.

That's actually unlikely. Not impossible, of course, but out of the approximately 94k inmates in UK prisons, less than 50 are currently serving whole life tariffs. The 94k out of a population of 60 million tells one that not everyone who commits a crime faces prison as a result. Hardly.

Further, the EU has recently ruled that LWOP contravenes human rights so right now there is a lot of debate altogether. Some EU countries have already banned such sentences while others are fighting the EU ruling (or discussing changing national laws to bypass the EU ruling, as in the UK).

Lastly, the only 'deal' for RG is that which is available to every defendant in Italy's criminal justice system.
-----------------
All that said though, I certainly don't want RG to be roaming the streets either. ;) I believe in much harsher penalties than those generally given here (with the onus that I'm biased, being American) but a lot of European nationals do too. Sometimes, society's hands are tied by the politicians it elects and others, a nation's hands are tied by EU law.

It is hard to argue rehabilitative versus punitive when one considers the recidivism rate is much lower in Europe...but by and large, I think it's hard to quantify just how very different the European system is to the American, from the bottom up. Here, you don't have access to a sex offender registry; you can't look up arrest records, booking photos, and court minutes; few cameras in courtrooms; strict media laws around reporting (or even commenting on!) court cases, and on and on.

Rudy Guede didn't just not get LWOP he didn't get a life sentence at all. Remember that while there may be only 50 or so UK prisoners serving a whole life tarrif, everyone convicted of murder in the UK is given a life sentence, which means that if or when they make parole they are still under supervision for the rest of their life. Guede won't be.

Guede is in the sex offender wing in prison. If he's not a convicted sex offender, what's he doing in the sex offender wing?

He was charged and convicted of sexual assault. He's getting out because Mignini never appealed his sentence reduction, he named Amanda and Raffaele at his trial and because Micheli acquitted the thief of theft.

I posted previously from Angel Face the paragraph where Barbie runs into Biscotti in the cafe and Biscotti was boasting about the deal Guede got just before his sentence reduction was announced.

Guede's sentence was reduced from 30 years to 25 years after Knox and Sollecito were sentenced to 25 years for their participation in the murder of Meredith. Do you think that an appeal would result in the sentence remaining at 30 years? I don't. All three were convicted of the same offense and deserve the same sentence.

The sentence reduction from 30 years to 25 years has nothing to do with a "deal".

Rudy Guede didn't just not get LWOP he didn't get a life sentence at all. Remember that while there may be only 50 or so UK prisoners serving a whole life tarrif, everyone convicted of murder in the UK is given a life sentence, which means that if or when they make parole they are still under supervision for the rest of their life. Guede won't be.

For how many years will Guede be under supervision?

Guede is in the sex offender wing in prison. If he's not a convicted sex offender, what's he doing in the sex offender wing?

Rudy Guede, convicted of sexual assault due to physical evidence linking him directly to a sexual assault on Meredith Kercher. Not charged with theft in this case.

[modsnip]

Apparently a different standard of justice was used in the trial of Guede.

WHERE IS THE JMO IN THIS POST??

IMO, he did not commit necrophilia. He was not convicted of this. This is YOUR opinion.

[modsnip]

He is a killer.[modsnip] .

[modsnip]

This is not Rudy vs. Amanda/RS in my eyes.

In my eyes, all 3 are sick, disgusting human beings.

JMO.

Rudy Guede, convicted of sexual assault due to physical evidence linking him directly to a sexual assault on Meredith Kercher. Not charged with theft in this case.

[modsnip]

Apparently a different standard of justice was used in the trial of Guede.

Why should he be charged with theft? What did he steal? The only irregularity in terms of post-murder money was a deposit made by Knox.

STAY ON TOPIC - This is about RG and his eligibility for parole/University studies.

Salem

Guede's sentence was reduced from 30 years to 25 years after Knox and Sollecito were sentenced to 25 years for their participation in the murder of Meredith. Do you think that an appeal would result in the sentence remaining at 30 years? I don't. All three were convicted of the same offense and deserve the same sentence.

The sentence reduction from 30 years to 25 years has nothing to do with a "deal".

30 years to 24 years to 16 years to day release after 6.5 years.

The reasons for his mitigation are absurd. They rationalized he had "acute stress disorder" and that's why he (a) didn't call for help (b) went dancing and (c) fled to Germany.

http://www.injusticeinperugia.org/2009-12-22_-_Borsini-Belardi_Report__Italian_.pdf

I'm sure you have a copy of Angel Face or can search the previous threads where Barbie confirms Guede's deal. Nina Burleigh mentioned it in her recent BBC interview.

If and when he kills again, what do you think his next victims family will be asking?

I'm sure you have a copy of Angel Face or can search the previous threads where Barbie confirms Guede's deal. Nina Burleigh mentioned it in her recent BBC interview.

nina's interview, "deal" comment towards the end: Nina Burleigh talks to BBC about Amanda Knox - YouTube

nadeau's comment, p. 89:

In essense, Rudy changed his story three times. When he was arrested, he said simply that "some Italian guy" had done the killing, during his fast-track trial, he said that unknown assailants had beat him up, at his appeal hearing, he said that it was Raffaele, and that he heard Amanda's voice and saw her silhouette through a window. His reward for placing them both at the scene would be a substantial reduction in his sentence.

Angel Face: Sex, Murder and the Inside Story of Amanda Knox: Barbie Latza Nadeau: 9780984295135: Amazon.com: Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288