PARENTS KILLED AMBER ALERT ISSUED FOR 13-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER
---
POLICE NEED PUBLIC'S HELP IN FINDING MISSING AND PREGNANT KIERRA COLES

Rumsfield Stepping Down

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by raisincharlie, Nov 8, 2006.

1. raisincharlie

raisincharlie Racing Doesn't Lie

Fox is reporting that Donald Rumsfield will resign effective immediately. Will look for a link.

2. SadieMae

SadieMae Former Member

Just saw this myself on CNN....

3. raisincharlie

Robert Gates, ex CIA chief, will take his place -well maybe, I think he has to be confirmed first.

4. mssheila

mssheila New Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,228173,00.html

Earlier today, a spokesman for Rumsfeld said he'd given no indication that he would step down in the wake of Democratic election gains. The spokesman said Rumsfeld would work with Congress on Iraq but added that the focus on stabilizing the country will remain the same.

All I can say is..... WOW. I think this is good news.:twocents:

5. ljwf22

ljwf22 Reality continues to ruin my life.

6. windovervocalcords

windovervocalcords Former Member

7. Becba

Becba Former Member

8. ljwf22

ljwf22 Reality continues to ruin my life.

Ooh, that would be great! Cheney will never quit, but I thought that about Rummy too! :twocents:

9. raisincharlie

You know - it was reported that Cheney was going hunting on election day - has anyone seen him?:crazy:

10. mfmangel1

mfmangel1 New Member

So much for Bush insisting that Rumsfeld would remain Secretary for the remainder of his Presidency! Certainly didn't have anything to do with the elections, I am sure!!!! :p

11. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

Bush claims he intentionally misled reporters with that statement so as not to cause a stir at the Pentagon at the end of an election campaign. Yeah, whatever.

Rummy is gone! :woohoo:

12. Cypros

Cypros New Member

I don't understand Bush's thinking (and I never will). He tells the American public that Rummy is in for the long haul despite all of the cries for his resignation. He throws all of the Republican senate and house candidates under the wheels of the election campaign and lets them lose their seats to Democrats and THEN he announces that Rummy is out!! ???? :waitasec: :waitasec:

Don't get me wrong. I am pleased as punch about the election results :crazy: :crazy: but I am totally confused about the Bush Administration's strategy. Is there any logic in the decision to hold onto Rumsfeld until they lose ALL support of the American people?

Oh well. I guess I just need to get back to my happy dance. Rummy is out! Dems are in!! My confidence in the system is becoming restored. Now we need ALL of our leaders to get to work and figure out a way to deal with the real issues about which We the People are concerned.

13. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

14. Nova

Nova Active Member

Since Karl Rove does Bush's thinking, an article about Rove in the current Vanity Fair may be enlightening. In it, Rove points to Lieberman's high poll numbers and says that when you give the American people a clear choice between "winning" the war in Iraq and "losing" the war, they will choose winning over losing. (This isn't to say you must actually win the war, just that you frame the choices in those terms.)

I was shocked by the timing of the Rumsfeld resignation, too, but I'm speculating that doing it before the election would have risked looking like defeatism (at least in Rove's imagination).

In the same issue, there's a Michael Wolff essay asserting that the next 2 years will be about all the neo-cons distancing themselves from the now certain Iraqi defeat. Wolff predicts Bush will dump Cheney (health excuse) AND Rumsfeld. Maybe Bush just wanted to get to it.

15. IrishMist

IrishMist You can't control the wind - but you can adjust yo

I know! I couldn't believe it. He basically admitted to lying to reporters and it just went over everyone's heads! I was floored!

16. arielilane

arielilane Justice for Morgan

Are we surprised reporters were misled? History really does repeat itself...

Ding Dong!!! Rummy is GONE!!!

17. cheko1

cheko1 Well-Known Member

Bush knows either he starts cleaning house or the Democrats will do it for him.

He probably did it so the Republicans will have a chance in the Pres election.

18. Marthatex

Marthatex New Member

So true.

I hear good things about Gates so far. He's on that Iraq/Baker committee; and is supposedly "neutral" on ideology.

As I heard a speaker on NPR last night, we need someone less "loyal" to ideology, and more loyal to the people and actions on the ground, and the actual situation in Iraq.

19. Masterj

Masterj Active Member

Robert Gates of the Iran Contra dealings, Robert Gates?