Russia - 31 dead, 100s injured by suicide bomb at Moscow airport

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Jan 24, 2011.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Suicide bomber kills 31 at Russian airport: reports

(Reuters) - At least 31 people were killed and more than 100 injured on Monday in a suicide bombing at Russia's biggest airport, Russian news agencies reported.

Russia's ruble-dominated stock market MICEX fell by nearly two percent following the blast, which ripped through the baggage claim area at Moscow's Domodedovo airport at 1332 GMT.

Smoke wafted out of the baggage claim area and people were seen running out of the emergency exits at the airport, local media reported.

The Kremlin is struggling to contain an Islamist insurgency in the mainly Muslim North Caucasus, and rebels have repeatedly vowed they will take their battle to the Russian heartland.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70N2TQ20110124

2. Loading...

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

4. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

Prayers for the victims that were killed or injured. Prayers for their families and friends.

I've no words for terrorists. Period. (well that can be posted here)

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

The Guardian now has live updates; excellent coverage:

Moscow airport explosion

• At least 35 people killed and more than 130 injured in suicide bombing at Russia's biggest airport, state-run TV reports

6. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

What Kat said

7. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

It sounds as if some quick thinking by airport employees in knocking down a wall, saved many many people. Talk about bravery when everything is on fire and things are exploding. My prayers go out for all of those effected. Another tragic day.

Has anyone heard of threats to other airports? I have a son flying out of Berlin back to the US today and I'm so worried about him. I've scanned all the print media and haven't seen mention of it. I can't watch any video and have no TV so I'd appreciate it if someone would post if you see any updates about this.

ETA: They've just announced:

"A spokeswoman for Moscow's busiest airport says 35 people have been killed by an explosion in its international arrivals hall."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russi...Ec2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDcnVzc2lhdGVycm9y

8. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

From Guardian updates:

5.07pm: Despite the attack the airport seems to have remained open, my colleague Jonathan Haynes reports.

5.03pm: Luke Harding, the Guardian's Moscow correspondent, has just sent me this about a warning Russia's security agencies received before today's blast, according to news agencies. Luke writes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/jan/24/moscow-airport-explosion-live-updates

9. Melanie

Melanie Inactive

This is so sad. Can I say I hate terrorists, regardless of race, creed, or color? I sure hope one of the 3 blew himself up -- deserves him right. Hope the other 2 get hit by a bus.

Prayers to all the victims of this senseless act!

Mel

10. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Some snippets from BBC coverage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12268662

11. blue_the_puppy

blue_the_puppy Member

amen to that! MissIzzy, I'll say a prayer for your son, I'm sure he will be fine, but I don't blame you for being worried!

strange, but i was just in washington dulles airport a couple days ago and was thinking about how any loon can walk into the baggage claim area, wonder how long before all areas in an airport are closed off to non-travellers ..

12. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Daily Mail update, tons of pics:

Terrorist massacre at Moscow airport: One Briton among 35 killed in suicide bombing attack

much more at link above

13. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

I'm still not seeing any group claiming responsibility. Don't the rebels typically make claim quite soon after an attack?

I found this statement sadly ironic:

"[President] Medvedev canceled plans to travel Tuesday to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, where he aimed to promote Russia as a profitable investment haven to world business leaders."

This article states that 2 British travelers are among the dead:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russi...Ec2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDYm9tYmluZ2F0bW9z

(((hugs))) to you Blue. We can use all the prayers we can get. I'm always uneasy when my kids travel and this young man is really "stretching" himself to travel on his own. He's due in the states later tonight and hopefully we'll get a call. His Dad's set to pick him up when he arrives at our closest airport.

14. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

15. 2goldfish

2goldfish Active Member

senseless stupid tragedy.....it never ends, just never.

my heart goes out to all the survivors & their familes and the familes of the lost.

16. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

Just got a call. My son is safe in his Dad's and sisters' arms. A 27 hour slog from Berlin--with a deplaning due to a suspicious item. But he's safe and he's home. My heart breaks for those who didn't get to welcome their loved ones home tonight.