Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a screenshot of how the countries voted, from the video @dotr posted.
The usual suspects, like Iran and North Korea, voted in favor of Russia. But some surprises IMO in the abstentions.

When I feel safe enough after Covid to travel again, I won't go to any countries (like Mexico, which I love to visit) that abstained.

The countries that voted in Russia's favor are countries I wouldn't step foot in, anyway.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    468.1 KB · Views: 36
Benjamin Hall just tweeted for the first time since he was blown up in Ukraine. He honored the two people who were killed in the same attack, then described his own injuries. Horrific.

It's been over three weeks since the attack in Ukraine and I wanted to start sharing it all. But first I need to pay tribute to my colleagues Pierre and Sasha who didnt make it that day. Pierre and I traveled the world together, working was his joy and his joy was infectious. RIP

A226B0EB-21BA-4C9C-B788-8A94EC88726D.jpeg

Too sum it up, I've lost half a leg on one side and a foot on the other. One hand is being put together, one eye is no longer working, and my hearing is pretty blown… but all in all I feel pretty damn lucky to be here - and it is the people who got me here who are amazing!
063A57D5-BB33-4AF3-A7DC-3E4DB65FCB15.jpeg

https://twitter.com/benjaminhallfnc/status/1512233745063063595?s=21&t=m7-Reo0eeiczloGL5znaGA

https://twitter.com/benjaminhallfnc/status/1512237398125686790?s=21&t=_PaFaJn-mtUMzYrKV7Ibgg

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 7 hrs ago
General Staff: Russia plans to capture Mariupol, break through Donbas defense lines. Ukraine’s Armed Forces say Russian troops are regrouping and gathering additional forces near Mariupol, that are set to launch a new offensive on the besieged city.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
Fedorov: Russia abducted more than 100 people in Melitopol. Mayor Ivan Fedorov said that Russians began to kidnap teachers and lecturers of the Melitopol University and are trying to resume education under Russian dictate.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 5 hrs ago
Over 500,000 people officially registered as internally displaced persons in Ukraine since Feb. 24. Over 4 million Ukrainians fled abroad, while another 6.5 million people are thought to be internally displaced, according to the UN.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
Zelensky calls for heavy weapons to defeat Russia. President Volodymyr Zelensky added that Russia is ready to use all kinds of weapons against Ukraine, including nuclear, if it sees that Ukraine and its supporters are weak.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 3 hrs ago
Politico: German Chancellor Olaf Scholz delays tank delivery to Ukraine. According to people familiar with the deliberations, Scholz is delaying a final decision over whether to give Ukraine around 100 tanks to fight Russia, despite pressure from several other top officials.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 1 hr ago
US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin: US providing military intelligence to Ukraine for operations in Donbas. Austin confirmed for the first time at a hearing on April 7 that the US is providing Ukraine intelligence on Russian forces to conduct operations in the Donbas region.

APR 8, 2022
Gruesome photos show Borodyanka in ruins (kyivindependent.com)
Borodyanka, a town of 12,000 people 40 kilometers northwest of Kyiv, has suffered some of the worst destruction seen by any place in Russia’s war against Ukraine.

More than 10 apartment buildings in the heart of the town were destroyed by Russia’s bombs in early March. Only recently, when Ukraine regained control of Borodyanka, it became possible to start clearing the rubble. A month after the attack, there is little hope to find survivors.

Hundreds of people are expected to be found buried under the rubble.

(19 photos)

The usual suspects, like Iran and North Korea, voted in favor of Russia. But some surprises IMO in the abstentions.

When I feel safe enough after Covid to travel again, I won't go to any countries (like Mexico, which I love to visit) that abstained.

The countries that voted in Russia's favor are countries I wouldn't step foot in, anyway.

is there any way you can enlarge that? I clicked on it but it's too small to read and I went to the original post too but no luck

Benjamin Hall just tweeted for the first time since he was blown up in Ukraine. He honored the two people who were killed in the same attack, then described his own injuries. Horrific.

It's been over three weeks since the attack in Ukraine and I wanted to start sharing it all. But first I need to pay tribute to my colleagues Pierre and Sasha who didnt make it that day. Pierre and I traveled the world together, working was his joy and his joy was infectious. RIP

View attachment 339365

Too sum it up, I've lost half a leg on one side and a foot on the other. One hand is being put together, one eye is no longer working, and my hearing is pretty blown… but all in all I feel pretty damn lucky to be here - and it is the people who got me here who are amazing!
View attachment 339367

https://twitter.com/benjaminhallfnc/status/1512233745063063595?s=21&t=m7-Reo0eeiczloGL5znaGA

https://twitter.com/benjaminhallfnc/status/1512237398125686790?s=21&t=_PaFaJn-mtUMzYrKV7Ibgg

I wondered what the extent of his injuries were, especially since Pierre and Sasha didn't make it. This has to be both physically and psychologically extremely challenging. I hope he and his family stay strong and have a lot of support. My prayers are with them.

is there any way you can enlarge that? I clicked on it but it's too small to read and I went to the original post too but no luck

Hi @LadyL,

Other than clicking on the thumbnail to enlarge it, then swiping with two fingers to enlarge it further, I have no idea. I'm very Computers 101.

I'm sure everyone else will be able to tell you how! I just paused the video at that spot and took the screenshot, so maybe if you do that as well it will be more clear?

Waiting for the young and/or savvy ones here to show the way!

Euromaidan Press on Twitter - 8 hrs ago, Video w/subtitles
Russian troops get orders from their commanders to shoot civilians, a @ServiceSsu intercept published 5 Apr shows

Euromaidan Press on Twitter
Residents of liberated Ivankiv, Kyiv Oblast, are getting in touch with their relatives for the first time in a long while thanks to @spacex's Starlink equipment brought by volunteers to the city. PHOTO: Facebook
FPwrOAIWQAgo7VG

Defence of Ukraine on Twitter
Russia is abducting Ukrainian children en masse. Thousands of Ukrainian orphans from the occupied territories are being illegally "evacuated" to Russia. The State Duma is speeding up a bill on a "simplified" procedure for their "adoption" by Russian families. #russiawarcrimes

NEXTA on Twitter - 7 hrs ago
The #EU countries agreed to impose an embargo on the import of #Russian coal as part of the fifth package of sanctions.

NEXTA on Twitter
6,000 sanctions have already been imposed against #Russia - this is a world record!
FPw-R2BX0AIAmxu

Euromaidan Press on Twitter - 4 hrs ago
"It is precisely because certain countries refuse to provide heavy weapons to Ukraine that the war may last longer. We are not going to give up. And without heavy weapons it is just a long process: we fight back, the Russians then go again," Zelenskyy said Telegram: Contact @OP_UA

Euromaidan Press on Twitter - 1 hr ago
“I think the deal that Ukraine is offering is fair. You give us weapons, we sacrifice our lives, and the war is contained in Ukraine,” Ukrainian MFA Kuleba said, appealing to NATO with a threefold agenda: “weapons, weapons, weapons.”
Ukraine presses NATO for more aid to prevent atrocities like Bucha - The Washington Post

Euromaidan Press on Twitter
Ukraine is prepared to the potential use of chemical weapons by the Russian army: antidotes are present in sufficient quantities in hospitals and military units of the Ukrainian army, National Security and Defense Secretary Danilov said. Ukraine has prepared for a possible attack with the use of chemical weapons – NSDC (ukrinform.ua)

APR 7, 2022
This Ninth-Grader Made A Video Diary In Mariupol (rferl.org)
VIDEO CAPTION: Alona Zahreba made a video diary of life in the besieged Ukrainian port, showing how they gathered snow when water was cut off and smoke rising from nearby explosions. She spoke to Current Time about what life was like in Mariupol, and how she and her family escaped.

Not a graphic, but I found this story, which details the results.

UN General Assembly votes to suspend Russia from the Human Rights Council

ETA screenshots from the UN Twitter account linked in the article:
https://mobile.twitter.com/UN_News_Centre/status/1512095779535609862/photo/1

2nd Edit to add 2nd SS, because WS froze up on me ;-) I give up. See Twitter link for the rest of the original image. Sorry, I tried.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220407-225617.png
    Screenshot_20220407-225617.png
    473.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

WOW! Singapore and TAIWAN?

ETA—MY BAD… it was Thailand! I was about to say…

Last edited:
Russia-Ukraine war latest: Zelenskiy says Borodyanka ‘much worse’ than Bucha; Kremlin admits ‘significant’ troop losses – live (theguardian.com)

1h ago 22:05
Australia has sent its first convoy of 20 refitted Bushmaster vehicles to Ukraine on aircraft C-17 Globemasters leaving Brisbane on Friday.

It is part of a $50m support package worth of military vehicles to the country.

The armoured vehicles have been repainted olive green with Ukraine’s flag stencilled on each side and the words ‘United with Ukraine’ emblazoned in both English and Ukrainian in a pledge of solidarity.

[...]

11m ago 23:18
Russia has imposed sanctions on Australian and New Zealand citizens, including their prime ministers, the Russian foreign ministry announced.

Entry bans have been imposed on 228 Australian government members and lawmakers, including Prime Minister Scott Morrison, in response to sanctions from Canberra.

The ministry published a list of 228 Australian lawmakers and government members who were barred from entering Russia on Thursday.

It said Australia “obediently follows the decisions of the West” and has decided to sanction Russia’s top managers and almost all of its deputies.

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member