Russia mine blast kills at least 38

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Autumn2004, May 24, 2007.

1. Autumn2004

Autumn2004 Inactive

A methane explosion tore through a coal mine in southern Siberia, killing 38 miners and injuring seven others, emergency officials said Thursday.

An explosion at another mine in the region in March killed 110 people. That was the deadliest accident in more than 60 years in Russia's mines, many of which fell into disrepair when government subsidies dried up after the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.

Both accidents occurred at mines operated by Yuzhkuzbassugol, a subsidiary of coal and steel producer Evraz SA, and Russian industrial safety officials said Thursday that the company's license may be revoked.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070524/ap_on_re_eu/russia_mine_blast

2. Loading...

3. dingo

dingo Former Member

The health and safety regulations at these mines must be nonexistant.
    Thought and prayers to the many miners and families involved in this tragedy.

4. Autumn2004

Autumn2004 Inactive

I honestly dont think the government cares at all, its not any different than the beslan school takeover, or chernobyl. Lives there are not worth anything according to the government :(