RUSSIA - WNBA star Brittney Griner, Detained @ Sheremetyevo International Airport, 2022 *Guilty*

Russian state news agency Tass, which has a staff member in the courtroom, reported that the indictment alleges that before traveling to Russia in February, Griner "bought two cartridges for personal use, which contained 0.252 grams and 0.45 grams of hash oil."

A security inspection allegedly uncovered the cartridges in the basketball star's luggage when she arrived on a flight from New York to Sheremetyevo International Airport in Khimki.

Two witnesses testified for the prosecution — customs agents who were working at the airport when Griner's bags were inspected, Griner's lawyer, Alexander Boikov, told NPR. Prosecutors will likely have four hearings before the defense gets its turn, he said.

The next hearing is slated for July 7.

I feel bad for her, but also “wtf was she thinking?”

*how did she get thru TSA in the states?
*had she done this before?

I have a bad Otto Warmbier feeling about this case.

BBM: That's the million dollar question for me. If she cleared customs here how was it that they found it when she landed in Russia?

I believe the report stating BG was detained after arriving in Russia is incorrect. From what I understand, she was detained when she tried to LEAVE the country. I believe she plays basketball for a Russian league during the WNBA off-season. There are many WNBA players who play in this league because they pay them a lot of money. For whatever reason (and I don’t believe the reason has been disclosed) BG was the only American player who hadn’t yet left the country. The others left when the US Embassy advised all US citizens to leave the country… which was at least a week (or more) prior to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. I wish BG had heeded the advice and left with the other players, but maybe there’s a valid reason why she didn’t? IDK… but I hate that Russia is using her as a pawn to further their goal of world domination.

I was going to say the same - "WTF was she thinking?" !!! She "might" have gotten this hashish oil in Russia (black market of course) - should have cleaned that pipe!!

They will sentence her to 10 years - and eventually exchange her for a prisoner in the U.S..... hopefully!

I believe the report stating BG was detained after arriving in Russia is incorrect. From what I understand, she was detained when she tried to LEAVE the country. I believe she plays basketball for a Russian league during the WNBA off-season. There are many WNBA players who play in this league because they pay them a lot of money. For whatever reason (and I don’t believe the reason has been disclosed) BG was the only American player who hadn’t yet left the country. The others left when the US Embassy advised all US citizens to leave the country… which was at least a week (or more) prior to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. I wish BG had heeded the advice and left with the other players, but maybe there’s a valid reason why she didn’t? IDK… but I hate that Russia is using her as a pawn to further their goal of world domination.

I think there’s confusion. This report says she was entering Russias airport from NY. I wonder what’s true. Leaving makes more sense tho.

Russia has recently hinted at potentially trading WNBA All-Star and Olympic gold medalist Brittney Griner for Victor Bout, a notorious Russian arms dealer known by some as the "Merchant of Death" in a prisoner swap with the U.S.

Bout, a 55-year-old former Soviet military officer, is currently serving a 25-year federal prison sentence for conspiring to sell weapons to parties with alleged plans to kill Americans, according to a report from the New York Times. Griner, a Houston native, was arrested in Russia in February at a Moscow area airport after authorities allegedly found cannabis vape cartridges in her luggage.

Russia has recently hinted at potentially trading WNBA All-Star and Olympic gold medalist Brittney Griner for Victor Bout, a notorious Russian arms dealer known by some as the "Merchant of Death" in a prisoner swap with the U.S.

Bout, a 55-year-old former Soviet military officer, is currently serving a 25-year federal prison sentence for conspiring to sell weapons to parties with alleged plans to kill Americans, according to a report from the New York Times. Griner, a Houston native, was arrested in Russia in February at a Moscow area airport after authorities allegedly found cannabis vape cartridges in her luggage.

Now that does NOT sound like a fair trade... a notorious arms dealer vs hashish smoker??

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back