RUSSIA - WNBA star Brittney Griner, Detained @ Sheremetyevo International Airport, 2022 *Guilty*

Moo...but sorry that is the applicable sentence..in that country...because being American or high end sports player...does not factor in to jail time. Moo

Last edited:
Ok, I am a liberal. I smoke pot. In my younger years I dealt pot.
I am torn here.
There are other Americans in Russian prisons for lesser offenses. What about them?
An arms dealer should be worth all of them.
Also, what about the Americans in American prisons and jails for minor pot offenses. They need to be released also.
What’s good for one is good for all.

A Russian court on Monday set October 25 as the date for American basketball star Brittney Griner´s appeal against her nine-year prison sentence for drug possession.

It is horrible to see an athlete caged like this, imo.
1666700896657.png
October 25, 2022
''MOSCOW (AP) — A Russian court on Tuesday started hearing American basketball star Brittney Griner’s appeal against her nine-year prison sentence for drug possession.
Griner, an eight-time all-star center with the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury and a two-time Olympic gold medalist, was convicted Aug. 4 after police said they found vape canisters containing cannabis oil in her luggage at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport.
Griner is taking part in the session held at the Moscow Regional Court via video call from a penal colony outside Moscow where she is being held.'

''The nine-year sentence was close to the maximum of 10 years, and Griner’s lawyers argued after the conviction that the punishment was excessive. They said in similar cases defendants have received an average sentence of about five years, with about a third of them granted parole.

Before her conviction, the U.S. State Department declared Griner to be “wrongfully detained” — a charge that Russia has sharply rejected.''

A Russian court has rejected an appeal by US basketball star Brittney Griner against her "traumatic" nine-year jail term for drugs charges.

The court near Moscow upheld the sentence, with the state prosecutor calling it "fair".

The double Olympic winner apologised for her "honest mistake" in her appeal hearing via video link, saying it had been "very, very stressful".

Griner will serve the jail term in a penal colony.

It is horrible to see an athlete caged like this, imo.
Sadly, I think she is going to be in Russia for a long time.

The administration very quickly and very openly affirmed that she was LGBTQ, that she was being held illegally, and that they were, of course, extremely interested in getting this particular person back- immediately.

I imagine that the US negotiating team included ultra smart / "smart" people, some with advanced degrees from where the ivy grows thick and green. (Ivy League schools are the traditional recruiting grounds for the Department of State).

Yet, as any swap meet stud, auction afficionado, and garage sale guru can attest: The more you show that you want some thing with an un marked price tag, the more its going to cost.

Sure enough, the Russians now want (among other things) for the Germans to free an FSB agent / hitman convicted of murder in Germany. The Germans say that releasing the agent / hitman will never happen.

Sadly, I think she is going to be in Russia for a long time.

The administration very quickly and very openly affirmed that she was LGBTQ, that she was being held illegally, and that they were, of course, extremely interested in getting this particular person back- immediately.

I imagine that the US negotiating team included ultra smart / "smart" people, some with advanced degrees from where the ivy grows thick and green. (Ivy League schools are the traditional recruiting grounds for the Department of State).

Yet, as any swap meet stud, auction afficionado, and garage sale guru can attest: The more you show that you want some thing with an un marked price tag, the more its going to cost.

Sure enough, the Russians now want (among other things) for the Germans to free an FSB agent / hitman convicted of murder in Germany. The Germans say that releasing the agent / hitman will never happen.
Ugh. I feel so badly for her. Yes, of course she shouldn’t have broken the law they have there, however I wonder if she even knew or contemplated that. I really doubt she knew there was residue left in the pipe.
She also pled guilty yet really got very little reduction on the sentence from doing so.

Ugh. I feel so badly for her. Yes, of course she shouldn’t have broken the law they have there, however I wonder if she even knew or contemplated that. I really doubt she knew there was residue left in the pipe.
She also pled guilty yet really got very little reduction on the sentence from doing so.
I can't even imagine what she is going through- absolutely horrid. It really doesn't get much worse.

What was the point for saying she was LGBTQ? I don't recall that fact being germane in her case. As far as her being held "illegally"--I am confused. Possessing hash oil in Russia is illegal, and that is where the violation occurred, so she isn't being held illegally.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph
Back