PARENTS KILLED AMBER ALERT ISSUED FOR 13-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER
---
POLICE NEED PUBLIC'S HELP IN FINDING MISSING AND PREGNANT KIERRA COLES

Rustling costs ranchers millions in poor economy

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by mysticrose, Oct 24, 2011.

1. mysticrose

mysticrose The key to change... is to let go of fear

Rustling costs ranchers millions in poor economy

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Even with cattle theft rampant in much of the nation's midsection, Oklahoma rancher Ryan Payne wasn't worried about anyone messing with his cows and calves. By his estimation, his pasture is so far off the beaten path "you need a helicopter to see it."

That changed last month when Payne, 37, checked on his livestock and found a ghoulish scene: Piles of entrails from two Black angus calves he says thieves gutted "like they were deer." They made off with the meat and another 400-pound calf in a heist he estimated cost him $1,800.

"Gosh, times are tough, and maybe people are truly starving and just need the meat," he said. "But it's shocking. I can't believe people can stoop that low."

While the brazenness may be unusual, the theft isn't. High beef prices have made cattle attractive as a quick score for people struggling in the sluggish economy, and other livestock are being taken too. Six thousand lambs were stolen from a feedlot in Texas, and nearly 1,000 hogs have been stolen in recent weeks from farms in Iowa and Minnesota. The thefts add up to millions of dollars in losses for U.S. ranches

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ws_id=18684732&src=most_popular_viewed&page=1

2. peeples

peeples New Member

6 years ago my father in law had 75 head of cattle stolen from his ND range.. it was horrible!!

3. chloes1

chloes1 New Member

Even more bizarre, I raise chickens and I am having to lock the coop up at night as people are killing and gutting my chickens at night.

As bad as that is, leaving the entrails laying around only brings predators around endangering the rest of my chickens...

I guess times really are getting hard! It really sucks that I have o lock up everything, in such a small community I've never had to before.

4. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

Wow! 75, how did they do that? I hope he had insurance.