S.B.T.C ... The real meaning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most logical answer is that SBTC means nothing. It is the acronym of the fake terrorist group that the killer wants the reader to believe killed JB.

Most terrorist groups go by three or four letter acronyms. (PLO, PIRA, KKK, FARC).

The killer could have been trying to come up with an appropriate acronym and the first thing that came into his mind.

2. Another thing that you should consider is that on a QWERTY keyboard. SBTC form an almost perfect parallelogram. Not sure what this means but it is an intererst relationship between the letters S-B-T-C. Perhaps it's not an acronym, but the letters themselves represent something else. Points on a Map?

3. I've also often though that the SBTC is some form of these phrases:

Southern Bell Telephone.
S--- Bank Trust Company
South Beach Tennis Club
Santa Barbara T___ C____
Soutport Brewery

Most likely these are venues or workplaces the killer frequented or was aware of.

5. It may also be as simple as the killer got the acronym from the newspaper. Someone might want to check issues of Time, Newsweek or Boulder Papers the day or week before to see if the acronym showed up.

Considering the Ramsey's financial acumen, the words Bank, Trust, Company, South(ern) would seem like ideal letters to fit that acronym.

Another though that has come to me is that the killer may have added a letter to the acronym to avoid suspicion. The intended acronym may be SBT, BTC, or STC. Someones initials perhaps?

Or maybe it means absolutely nothing. Four letters put together to keep police busy for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or maybe it means absolutely nothing. Four letters put together to keep police busy for a while.

I can't believe it meant nothing for someone who bothered to write a 3 page ransom note. No way. JMHO

I can't believe it meant nothing for someone who bothered to write a 3 page ransom note. No way. JMHO

I understand that. If it means anything at all, I'm still thinking "Saved By the Cross". It's my opinion that Patsy wrote the RN and apart from the dramatic tone of PR trying to sound like a stern kidnapper, she would have to absolve herself as well.

Perhaps more of a side note, but I believe that there is no foreign faction and whoever wrote it was just trying to force investigators to pursue all kinds of wrong paths.

I know of at least one case where it happened the same way.

I understand that. If it means anything at all, I'm still thinking "Saved By the Cross". It's my opinion that Patsy wrote the RN and apart from the dramatic tone of PR trying to sound like a stern kidnapper, she would have to absolve herself as well.

The S.B.T.C combined with the final ransom note word "Victory," also fits with your opinion.

Iirc, Patsy's sister, Pam, stated after Patsy died that Patsy now had her "Victory."

Good post! :cheers:

I think the Saved By The Cross theory is as good as any. Didn't that come from a bookmarked passage in Patsy's bible? I believe that there is little significance to whatever it means anyway. I think Patsy was simply going for a BTK kind of feel to the note. What people don't know scares them and creating a crazy kidnaping sadist with an unknown signature kind of makes it a tiny bit more believable.

I think the Saved By The Cross theory is as good as any. Didn't that come from a bookmarked passage in Patsy's bible? I believe that there is little significance to whatever it means anyway. I think Patsy was simply going for a BTK kind of feel to the note. What people don't know scares them and creating a crazy kidnaping sadist with an unknown signature kind of makes it a tiny bit more believable.

From ABC's Good Morning America (Found here):
DANA T. writes: "Do you have any theories behind what S.B.T.C. signifies?"

STEVE THOMAS: "You know, we searched high and low, far and wide, and heard everything from 'Saved By The Cross' to Ramsey's own suggestion of 'Star Base Technical Command,' but were never definitively able to attach a source to that acronym. However, an open Bible on Ramsey's desk in the house, NIV version, Psalms 35-36, verses 1-4, contains the acrostic SBTC, backwards."

From JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation by Steve Thomas:
"A New International Version Study Bible was photographed on the desk of John Ramsey, open to pages of Psalms 35 and 36. There was no way to know it at the time, but those verses were to play a critical role in the unfolding case. Beside the Bible was a greeting card JonBenet had made for her father, on which she had printed, 'The best gift I can give is me.'"

Comment: I've never read about the greeting card beside the Bible; I think that may give a hint that whoever was writing the ransom note, if written near the Bible, had a personal relationship with JBR. In other words, perhaps the placement of the card was some sort of sentiment.

Psalm 35:
Contend, Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me.
Take up shield and armor; arise and come to my aid.
Brandish spear and javelin against those who pursue me.
Say to me, “I am your salvation.”

Interesting Olivia. I wonder who was reading that psalm? And in hindsight, those words that JB wrote on the card seem creepy. I wonder if she had help writing that?

Interesting Olivia. I wonder who was reading that psalm? And in hindsight, those words that JB wrote on the card seem creepy. I wonder if she had help writing that?

Yeah, it does sound pretty creepy. If the card was made in school, the teacher probably told all the kids to write that in their card since little kids may not be too articulate in their wording of things.

STEVE THOMAS: "You know, we searched high and low, far and wide, and heard everything from 'Saved By The Cross' to Ramsey's own suggestion of 'Star Base Technical Command,' but were never definitively able to attach a source to that acronym. However, an open Bible on Ramsey's desk in the house, NIV version, Psalms 35-36, verses 1-4, contains the acrostic SBTC, backwards."

"A New International Version Study Bible was photographed on the desk of John Ramsey, open to pages of Psalms 35 and 36. There was no way to know it at the time, but those verses were to play a critical role in the unfolding case. Beside the Bible was a greeting card JonBenet had made for her father, on which she had printed, 'The best gift I can give is me.'"

Comment: I've never read about the greeting card beside the Bible; I think that may give a hint that whoever was writing the ransom note, if written near the Bible, had a personal relationship with JBR. In other words, perhaps the placement of the card was some sort of sentiment.

Psalm 35:
Contend, Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me.

I lean towards this as it symbolizes their world having turned upside down.

Psalm 35:

Hi OliviaG1996, This is from Patsy's June 1998 interview (thank you FFJ) regarding Christmas 1996 presents from JonBenet.

11 TOM HANEY: Big ones, we have the Nintendo
12 and a bike.
13 PATSY RAMSEY: Yeah.
14 TOM HANEY: How about for you, what did --
15 PATSY RAMSEY: I got a bicycle.
16 TOM HANEY: Okay. From John?
17 PATSY RAMSEY: From Santa Claus.
18 TOM HANEY: Do you remember anything else?
19 PATSY RAMSEY: JonBenet gave me a little
20 thing she made at school. I haven't been able to find
21 it yet. I hope I find it. It was a little thing that
22 said, the best Christmas present is me. There was a
23 little picture of her on it.
24 TOM HANEY: That is something that they made
25 at school, okay. Was it for you, for you and John
1 or --
2 PATSY RAMSEY: She gave it to me.
3 TOM HANEY: Okay.
4 PATSY RAMSEY: She had one also, I think, for
5 John.
6 TRIP DEMUTH: JonBenet made that?
7 PATSY RAMSEY: Yes. I haven't seen it.
8 TRIP DEMUTH: Does it have a picture of her
9 on it?
10 PATSY RAMSEY: Well, I think (inaudible).
11 TOM HANEY: We might have that. We might.
12 PATSY RAMSEY: Really? Okay.

Interesting that Patsy really didn't even have a good recollection of the gift JB gave each of them. Also quite interesting that one of them was with the bible. One can almost see Patsy in a frenzy after the murder, grabbing that last gift and reading a comforting psalm. Not something an intruder would have done. Detectives should have tried to figure how the gift got from under the tree to the bible. Telling indeed.

I have three theories

1. It it means nothing at all and was just done to put police off the scent.

2. Something to do with Johns work.

3. It has some religious meaning behind it.

I think it more that likely is 3. and has some kind of religious meaning behind it especially since the ransom letter was more than likely written by Patsy in my opinion.

Oh and hello to everyone this is my first post! have been reading the forum for a while and thought I would join in the discussion.

I have three theories

1. It it means nothing at all and was just done to put police off the scent.

2. Something to do with Johns work.

3. It has some religious meaning behind it.

I think it more that likely is 3. and has some kind of religious meaning behind it especially since the ransom letter was more than likely written by Patsy in my opinion.

Oh and hello to everyone this is my first post! have been reading the forum for a while and thought I would join in the discussion.

I totally agree that the S.B.T.C signature had religious purpose behind it. I think it came from the Bible on JR's desk opened to Psalm 35.

Welcome to the forums! :happydance:

I totally agree that the S.B.T.C signature had religious purpose behind it. I think it came from the Bible on JR's desk opened to Psalm 35.

Welcome to the forums! :happydance:

Olivia, I would say with almost 100% certainty that you are correct. The fact that the bible was opened to that psalm is more than a coincidence in itself, but the fact that JB's present to one of her parents was found with that bible shows that one of them probably sought solace in that bible that night. They might have read several passages that night but they ended on psalm 35 which seems to be a message about rising up against those who would try to bring them down. The card, the bible and that psalm tell a very clear story about what happened that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak