S. Calif. heat wave leaves thousands without power

Discussion in 'Weather' started by essies, Sep 28, 2010.

1. essies

essies "We're all just walking each other home." Ram Dass

S. Calif. heat wave leaves thousands without power
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100928/ap_on_re_us/us_california_heat
    snip-
    LOS ANGELES – Southern California's heat wave has left tens of thousands of people without electricity.

Southern California Edison says more than 27,000 of its customers were without power Tuesday morning, mainly in Orange and Los Angeles counties. Most have been blacked out for eight to 16 hours as temps hit 113 degrees in some parts.

Los Angeles Department of Water and Power reports another 15,000 customers are without power in Los Angeles.

That figure, recorded just after noon Monday, was the hottest registered in the city since record-keeping began in 1877. The previous high of 112 was set on June 26, 1990.

Sending prayers for all effected by the heat and blackout. Take care and be safe!! [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. JBean

JBean Retired WS Administrator

when it is this hot in Dana Point, it is hot everywhere.
    This was yesterday:

[​IMG]

4. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

It's a cool 74 degrees in Georgia with a nice breeze, I have my windows open and it feels so good. Sorry all of you out there sweating with no power. Just remember the cool weather is right around the corner. Before you know it there will be complaints about how cold it is.

5. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

I empathize. Today it's supposedly 102 here in Northern CA. A couple of summers ago we had the power go out when it was 111 degrees. Can't stay in the pool all day with no shade, so we hightailed it in the air-conditioned car to a Gold Mine! Nice and cool underground. Maybe you can find an air-conditioned movie theater or hang out at the Mall???

6. fifi

fifi New Member

Oh jeez - that really makes me glad that we are sliding down towards winter here in Scotland. Tis still quite mild here though (no frosts yet!).

7. AlwaysShocked

AlwaysShocked Well-Known Member

I visited California for the first time earlier this month. I was amazed at how much cooler it was in the oceanside towns (Marina del Rey, Santa Monica, Malibu) It was at least 10 degrees hotter in Hollywood than in Malibu.

The highest temp we had was 80 degrees when we took several Hollywood tours. When we attended a Triathlon at Malibu's Zuma beach, it was decidedly cool in the early morning hours of the racing activities, then warmed up to a pleasant mid-70's later in the day.

JBean, I want to come back again - which months are to be avoided? When do those rains come?