Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly buried with her ???? Still on her arm???
Or In the dam .?? Or Police also found that yesterday as well??? Just no one knows about it???
Harder to see a watch from a helicopter hovering at 2200 feet …. That footage of the phone from the Nine news helicopter was pretty amazing !!! IMO
I do wonder if the news chopper did not get those pics of the phone, would the police have released that info?? I doubt it IMO

If we imagine that PS hypothetically threw SMs phone into or close to a dam on a private property, that would suggest to me quite a high degree of carelessness, haste perhaps..? To not even remove ID or a wallet or attempt to destroy the device to make it unrecognisable…. So why the hurry? And why there? I wonder if something led to some kind of frantic need to suddenly dispose of the device? Was that the location where the last ping was detected? Who was the good listener? And/or who or what captured the phone being thrown/discarded? If this is SMs phone (which the ecstatic body language suggests) this is a major breakthrough and may be the anchor point for the unfolding of other dimensions of the investigation….

JMO…
Agreed. It seems he may just have been lucky up to this point in time, and not a mastermind. He was allegedly coming off a bender and not firing on all cylinders. I'd personally think you'd do your best to destroy the evidence and not just throw it away. Was he panicked? Running out of free time? Fresh out of ideas? All MOO.
You're assuming murder is the only crime committed here. Maybe giving up the location of the body would reveal more crimes and would end up with a longer sentence.
Absolutely. This has been a thought of mine too. SA springs to mind, it would fit the bill in my opinion.

In regards to CCTV in country properties, most homes that have it would mostly be around assets. The house and sheds containing expensive equipment. It would be unlikely to cover any real distance.

As for locking doors - I live in the country, on property and always lock the doors, even when home. I'm from the city though, so that may be different. I know some others are more trusting. I've probably seen one too many crime shows though.

I personally only see a driveway in all the photos posted of the property, including aerial shots. I can't see anything that screams motorbike tracks. From experience, I know paths can be worn down from animals. My sheep have worn down several paths on my property. Some to the dam, some not. I'll have to check Google Images to see if they're visible.

Yes. I'm just saying, I wonder if the find of the phone would have been released to the public by the police.

On the other hand they could be Ok with it, to see PS's reaction etc

All IMO
Oh … I agree …. Personally I don’t think police would have released that information yet either ….. but media has somewhat forced their hand …

IMO

I'm not assuming anything.

Can you explain what you mean about "more crimes"? Say, for instance, there was rape involved. If he helped the police locate the body, and evidence of rape was determined, it would still lead to a lesser sentence compared to a lack of cooperation.

Playing devil's advocate here, but maybe Patrick isn't quite bright enough to realise these implications, and his apparent lack of cooperation with police and the law in general may mean that he and a barrister have not been able to communicate this effectively enough between each other to mount any sort of defence so far.
Another crime usually associated with murder is tampering with a body. Ie moving body to dispose of it

Just another thought .... Do we actually know for sure Sam had her phone while on her run, or was it disposed off earlier ?
We were told her phone was missing, including her watch, but there was no proof she actually had taken it ?
Could someone else got rid of her phone before she died ?
I am hoping the police will get all the information and proof they need now off this phone, it's a big find in the investigation

I just hope it doesn't hinder the investigation ( as much as we all love new info! )
Hopefully it has the opposite effect and blows the case open and Sam is found soon, if they can download any tracking data from the phone???
It may also have the desired effect of putting pressure on the alleged offender??

It is good PR for the Vic Pol Team investigating the case … and definitely informs the public that the case is definitely not cold ..Hopefully there is some satisfaction in that ?

IMO

Just another thought .... Do we actually know for sure Sam had her phone while on her run, or was it disposed off earlier ?
We were told her phone was missing, including her watch, but there was no proof she actually had taken it ?
I am hoping the police will get all the information and proof they need now off this phone, it's a big find in the investigation
IIRC it was stated by family that Sam never went anywhere without her phone ….
Also, if Police weren’t confident that Sam had her phone on her I doubt they would have traced the ping so early in the case …. Or put the chopper POLAIr up in that vicinity that afternoon…. Before searching the forest where she was known to be running …

JMO

Last edited:
Serious runners usually put their phone in one of those elasticized arm bands that go around their bicep. Not sure if a phone in a case like the one found would fit? But guessing it probably still would?
Runner here. I use one of the bicep bands - it fits my phone inside but it’s in a slim case not a wallet case. And I doubt someone would use one of those bands with a wallet case - part of the appeal is you can access the screen through a plastic film on the band.

That said, I go to a lot of running events and a lot of people just hold their phones in their hands, even serious runners. From photos it appears she was wearing running tights so they may have had pockets.

As she was running a long distance it’s possible she was going to take some walk breaks, makes sense then she’d want easier access to her phone. Also as she was a mom I think it makes sense she’d want to have it accessible.

Channel 9 news said this was the area her phone last pinged at 5pm on the day she went missing. Would indicate someone had it from 8 am (presumed murder time) until 5pm when thrown in dam. MOO

A new article in the Herald Sun is stating that Sam’s phone last pinged at 5pm the day she went missing …… (Paraphrased)

Property owners were warned about a week ago that officers could be searching the area again…..

And

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said more information about the items would be provided once forensic testing was completed.

Paywalled for some …

IIRC it was stated by family that Sam never went anywhere without her phone ….
Also, if Police weren’t confident that Sam had her phone on her I doubt they would have traced the ping so early in the case …. Or put the chopper POLAIr up in that vicinity that afternoon…. Before searching the forest where she was known to be running …

JMO
How did the ping happen if the phone was in the dam at 5pm? Or would have been 5pm when the phone was tossed.
The police knew she was missing in the vicinity to do the search
We don't know if police have found her watch.
But why go to the trouble of throwing the phone in that dam? When police have had to remove the foliage to get through and why not dispose of it with her body ?

What is that thing that one of the police kneeling down is holding in the second photo down.

I thought it looked like a spoon on first glance, but the more I looked it seemed to look like some sort of metal tool, like a wrench or a tyre lever.

How did the ping happen if the phone was in the dam at 5pm? Or would have been 5pm when the phone was tossed.
The police knew she was missing in the vicinity to do the search
We don't know if police have found her watch.
But why go to the trouble of throwing the phone in that dam? When police have had to remove the foliage to get through and why not dispose of it with her body ?
We don't know yet if the person who murdered Samantha, and the phone-thrower-in -the-dam is one and the same person. Chances are, it is, but it is always possible, at this point, that it may not be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine