Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I'm allowed to do this, but here you go Flippitypip. I didn't even realise the dog was wearing boots until you said this and I went back to look. You don't want your goodest boy or girl getting thorns in their precious paws.
Thorns, metal, glass, also, since Ballarat is a gold mining place, they probably have broken shards of quartz every-fricking-where, and that can slice you open really really easy, as I know from my childhood holidays spent in another former gold mining hotspot.

MOO

I thought they already had a lot of data originating from her phone, showing that she entered the forest on foot and less than an hour later suffered a catastrophic event. I wonder what else they might hope to get from the phone itself, that wasn't automatically backed up. Just confirmation that this phone that ended up in a Durham Lead dam was actually Samantha's, perhaps.
From a new article …

They hope the instrument is not so badly corroded it retains the data that might reveal the path of its last journey; the hours or days between whatever befell Samantha Murphy and her phone’s trip to the dam. Even a badly damaged mobile phone almost always retains a memory, according to forensic experts, often securely lodged in the cybersphere’s cloud.

From a new article …

They hope the instrument is not so badly corroded it retains the data that might reveal the path of its last journey; the hours or days between whatever befell Samantha Murphy and her phone’s trip to the dam. Even a badly damaged mobile phone almost always retains a memory, according to forensic experts, often securely lodged in the cybersphere’s cloud.

But if the memory's in the cloud, isn't it possible (in circumstances like these) for police to read it without the physical phone?

But if the memory's in the cloud, isn't it possible (in circumstances like these) for police to read it without the physical phone?
From reading various threads here on WS .. especially the US ones … it appears that Apple do not easily assist the Police with such data …. They make it very difficult to obtain, and it’s all legally bound etc and it can take a very long time ….

If Police can get into / access the physical phone here it is much easier and much faster to obtain all of the data …

IMO

I think they can access her storage space in the cloud through any other device that she had linked it to, such as an iPad. Also most likely her watch too.

IMO

Last edited:
From a new article …

Well that clears up which dam it was. I said I could be wrong, and I was. The dam is on the block to the north of the red house, and the reporter points to the little green house one fenceline still further north as the property owner.

When police state they have found "SOME items of interest", surely they don't mean the phone, the case and the cards inside? Would they be seen as "some" or collectively be "one" item? I really hope they found more than that, perhaps a weapon of some kind, her watch, earbuds, piece of clothing etc

What do my fellow websleuths think?

When police state they have found "SOME items of interest", surely they don't mean the phone, the case and the cards inside? Would they be seen as "some" or collectively be "one" item? I really hope they found more than that, perhaps a weapon of some kind, her watch, earbuds, piece of clothing etc

What do my fellow websleuths think?
well ,... it would be a ratty tease to differentiate between one component of the phone and another, and call them 'items'.. Would VICPOL be up for a ratty tease?.. They like a joke as much as the next bloke, I suppose. I, personally, am taking it as plural items, a phone and something else. While being a born cynic I am also, and often at the same time, an incurable optimist.

Service dogs that go on searches wear boots or shoes to protect their feet from being harmed or scratched.
That is the reason they wear them.

Police dogs boot up to protect paws from glass, needles​

NZ site, but from all I've read the boots are to protect the dogs feet. Same in Australia.

Last edited:
I didn’t realise the dam where they found the mobile phone was so close to the road, so it would be easy to assume that the alleged murderer could have easily thrown it from his car into the dam….. You can see the dam in this first pic near the white Ute.

1717053585506.jpeg

1717053657668.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members