Found Safe SC - Aspen Jeter, 5, mom found dead at home during welfare check, Orangeburg, 1 Nov 2022

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
317090755_688209192671420_3303294436508877341_n.jpg

ORANGEBURG, S.C. (WRDW/WAGT) - The Orangeburg County Sheriff’s Office is seeking the public’s help in searching for a missing child.

Sheriff Leroy Ravenell said that around noon on Thanksgiving Day, deputies were sent to a residence on the 200 block of Louise Drive to conduct a welfare check.

At that location, deputies found a deceased female who had not been heard from since November 1.

Investigating deputies learned the deceased female has a child named Aspen Jeter, 5, who was not located in the home.

“If you have any information in the whereabouts of this child, please let us know,” said Ravenell. “You don’t have to give your name, but just give us what you know.”

Anyone with any information on the child’s location or deceased person are urged to contact the Orangeburg County Sheriff’s Office at 803-534-355.

Last edited:

borndem

Anglophile & registered demwit
Reaction score
So they were not seen for over 3 weeks? Doesn't Aspen attend kindergarten? Is her dad in the picture?
SMH. Good question, Guy. His being in the picture may be good or bad... It scares me a bit.
Did LE speak with any of the neighbors near her home? Did any of the neighbors know her?

Is there an estimate of how long the mother had been deceased?
Has an autopsy been done?

Little Aspen is a beautiful child -- hoping she is with people who love her and are taking good care of her.
How many times has she asked, "Where is Mommy?"
Waiting for more info on both of them...

A bit about Orangeburg, SC --
------------------------------------
Orangeburg, also known as The Garden City, is the principal city in and the county seat of Orangeburg County, South Carolina, United States. The population of the city was 13,964 according to the 2010 United States Census and declined to 12,704 in the 2020 census. Wikipedia
-------------------------------------

Last edited:

Knox

Reaction score
Social media posts have identified Crystal Jumper, an Orangeburg resident, as Aspen’s mother.

“If you have any information in the whereabouts of this child, please let us know,” the sheriff said. “You don’t have to give your name, but just give us what you know.”

The sheriff’s office has urged anyone with any information on the child’s location or the dead woman to contact the OCSO at 803-534-3550 or Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIMESC.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article269248642.html#storylink=cpy

DatelineFan

Reaction score
I am shocked that this child seems to have been missing for weeks. I don’t think Aspen technically qualifies for an Amber Alert, but it seems appropriate to send something out- potentially across the country, right? Feels like we need to get the word out

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
NOV 26

ORANGEBURG COUNTY, S.C. — Orangeburg County investigators are continuing their search for a missing 5-year-old after the child’s mother was found dead at a home on Thanksgiving – all as family members plead for answers.

“Don't know where she's at, neither,” Pauley Jumper said. “Don't know.”

Thanksgiving and the days that followed have been a nightmare for Jumper and the rest of his family as they continue to search for his niece, Aspen Jeter.

More at Orangeburg County search for Aspen Jeter continues as heartbroken family asks for community's help

Knox

Reaction score
The department said that, when they entered the home, they found a deceased woman believed to be Aspen's mother. The identity of the woman and the cause of death has not been publicly released by the Orangeburg County Coroner’s Office.

Antwain Pough lives just a few doors down from the home where the mother was found and saw the commotion on Thanksgiving night.

“My wife was like, ‘There's a door open,' and soon as she said that we saw some deputies run through, then we saw about four, five more roll through,” Pough said. “It's kinda unusual to see that many come through on this street.”

He said that this is normally a silent neighborhood with most families keeping to themselves. Now, with a dead mother and a missing child, Pough said he worries for his family's safety.

“Being that I have a young daughter, she's 16, stays in this neighborhood, anybody or anything could be roaming around in the neighborhood,” he said.

Ladyotm

Reaction score
Police have not released a cause of death for mom. Could it be an o.d. or natural causes? But with police asking for information about her mother... it may have been at the hands of others. I'm wondering if she was estranged from her family or if it was just common that she went days/weeks without talking to them. I also wonder if perhaps her phone has been used to communicate with love ones by text since the time she was last seen. Does law enforcement think someone took Aspen away from the home or did she leave on her own after her mother's death? I hope they have thoroughly searched the area surrounding the home, including any bodies of water . There are 2 cases out of SC where mother's were killed and young daughters removed from the home and killed. The killers were arrested in both cases. Nevaeh Adams of Sumter and Iyana Lowery of Bennetsville. Currently Nadia Lee of Houston is missing under circumstances similar to Nevaeh and Iyana. I hope Aspen is somewhere safe. ❤️

swanniee11

Reaction score
The department said that, when they entered the home, they found a deceased woman believed to be Aspen's mother. The identity of the woman and the cause of death has not been publicly released by the Orangeburg County Coroner’s Office.

Antwain Pough lives just a few doors down from the home where the mother was found and saw the commotion on Thanksgiving night.

“My wife was like, ‘There's a door open,' and soon as she said that we saw some deputies run through, then we saw about four, five more roll through,” Pough said. “It's kinda unusual to see that many come through on this street.”

He said that this is normally a silent neighborhood with most families keeping to themselves. Now, with a dead mother and a missing child, Pough said he worries for his family's safety.

“Being that I have a young daughter, she's 16, stays in this neighborhood, anybody or anything could be roaming around in the neighborhood,” he said.

This is what I read out of that. " kinda unusual" What does that mean? Is there a lot crime there?

Ladyotm

Reaction score

This is what I read out of that. " kinda unusual" What does that mean? Is there a lot crime there?
I think it's a relative quiet, low crime area. Seeing so many cop cars was unusual. I think the "kinda" was just thrown in there, without even realizing it.