Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were on it? The comment about the brothel.

Ironically, this hotel-turned-apartment has the same name, and the same area as a historic brothel in georgetown, SC.

Here is the story of the brothel:

Quoted from: (http://www.theitem.com/opinion/columnists/article_7662b6bc-47b5-5f4a-92d0-5b5605c53907.html)

Speaking of warehouses: When I was a kid in the 1960s, the world famous Sunset Lodge in Georgetown was in its last years of operation.

The brothel was established in the 1930s when International Paper built the paper mill, and was finally shut down in 1969 after an angry wife grew tired of her husband's extracurricular activities and put public pressure on the county sheriff, according to what passes for generally accepted local history.

The "Bordello Project" was conceived as a way to keep visiting workers out of trouble when the IP plant and headquarters were being built, and over the years it grew into what was considered a fine brothel frequented by sea captains, doctors, lawyers, businessmen of all sorts, professional athletes, salesmen and, of course, politicians.

I spent a lot of time at Murrells Inlet with my grandparents during those years, and we'd take the big Chrysler Town and Country station wagon from Sumter to Kingstree to "look in" on the kin folks - Boodie, Buzz, Frances and Aunt Sis.

We'd listen to the legendary, brilliant and totally crazy Charlie Walker on the AM radio until we lost reception, and it was then on to Georgetown, which you would usually start smelling about 10 miles out. Still can on some days.

One of my friends had dared me to ask my grandparents about "that place with the ladies" in Georgetown. "It'll be funny," he promised. I sensed there was something a little sinister about it, but had no real clue why.

So we're making our way over beautiful Winyah Bay after procuring the coveted Hardee Huskie hamburgers, and I ask about that famous place with all the ladies.

Total silence, just like when Granddaddy would tell a raunchy joke I didn't understand, and Toody, my grandmother, would say just one word - "Hu-butt" - which was followed by a long silence.

Most children have an antenna for strained adult communication situations, and mine was always working. As a natural born reporter, I pressed the issue of "that place with the ladies" further, leading to some front seat mumblings and a little snapping back and forth.

How do you explain the Sunset Lodge to a seven-year-old? You try not to.

Finally, after persistent inquiries, I remember just one specific comment from my grandfather, who in retrospect used his own natural born reporter's abilities, taking on a detached tone in order to establish clear distance from any inherent insinuations that might arise from explaining a "warehouse" to a child.

With my lovely grandmother sitting in the front seat next to him, he said: "I don't know anything about it personally ("puh-sanally") but my friends tell me there's a place that sounds something like that down around here somewhere. How's that Huskie hamburger?"

That signaled the end of the discussion, but it made me more curious than ever about what could possibly go on at "that place with the ladies."

What I've learned, of course, is that God created women to keep men confused, and this remains the Creator's most enduring work.

Graham Osteen is co-president of Osteen Publishing Co. and Editor-At-Large of The Item. Contact him at The Item, 20 North Magnolia St., Sumter, S.C., 29150; graham@theitem.com, or call 803-774-1352.

This is the best story on it here: (It's a .PDF so be patient as it loads)
http://www.elowcountry.com/Home/lcc_pdf/juloct07/2_Sunset_Lodge_.pdf

http://www2.scnow.com/news/grand-st...8/?referer=None&shorturl=http://bit.ly/oY02iG

The charges on this POI are horrendous, why on earth isn't he in prison?????:banghead:

Exactly-he should have been locked up forever-when is the system going to learn these guys are a danger to society and stop letting them out of prison? Also, I found the answer to my question about where his prior sex offenses occured-California.

The man, as identified by the manager, was convicted of kidnapping and raping a child younger than 14 in 1983 in California. He was released from prison in 2004, according to federal records. He is a registered sex offender.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/aug/02/drexel-case-prompts-search/

Exactly-he should have been locked up forever-when is the system going to learn these guys are a danger to society and stop letting them out of prison? Also, I found the answer to my question about where his prior sex offenses occured-California.

The man, as identified by the manager, was convicted of kidnapping and raping a child younger than 14 in 1983 in California. He was released from prison in 2004, according to federal records. He is a registered sex offender.

The sex offender registry page for Mr. Moody was not specific about where the offenses occured:
http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=602623&AgencyID=54575

HOWEVER, I decided to look into the numbers and letters associated with his offenses, and those numbers are CALIFORNIA's codes for sex offenses ... see below

http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/registration/offenses.aspx

The victim was a 9 year old girl

moody.png

Does he fit the description (the man described as being in his late 30’s or early 40’s, approximately 5’05 to 5’06 in height, average build, fair skinned, with hazel or brown colored eyes) and sketch (below) when 2 attempted sexual assaults were reported right before Brittanee went missing? His priors fit, too. He is a RSO. I think there is a very strong possibility he is involved in Brittanee's disappearance and the 2 prior attempts.

http://www2.scnow.com/news/grand-st...est-suspect-brittanee-drexel-case-ar-2214968/

sketch.png

http://www2.scnow.com/news/2009/apr/16/police_follow-up_on_leads_in_attempted_sexual_assu-ar-351552/

If that's not him it's a hell of a coincidence. JMO

I mapped the 3376 Frasier Street and it actually comes up at an industrial park across the street from this motel, but if my link works correctly you should be able to see the street view and the overview.....A LOT of woods around that place. Wish I were close enough to see if any LE in those woods, it seems almost a no-brainer but I imagine that would constitute a 'search' and especially with the weather today and of late it would take some time to organize.

Fingers crossed here guys, hope it works the same for all - if you dont see the "A" 'pushpin' pull the bottom aerial view around a little and it should come to view, then the building is just above that.

3376 S.Fraser St., georgetown sc - Google Maps

Here is the thing that has me stumped about this POI: how did he get her? I still find it hard to believe he just up and snatched her off the street without attracting any attention at all. That's why I was so convinced that it was someone she knew or was at least acquainted with, and was closer to her age. I guess stranger things have happened, but if this is the person responsible, how did it happen in the first place?

I know that area very well and it isnt as heavily foot traveled as just a few blocks north and Family Kingdom area, but still, there would have been some people around, but you have to understand too, this is where the boulevard is ending...Most drivers/cruisers (as they are called), by the time they get to 8th or 9th Ave South they see it is no action so they turn around and head back north towards Family Kingdom/Old Pavillion area. There's just not as much commotion in the area, lots of parking decks, alley ways between hotels that sevice vehicles drive in and out of...I absolutely believe he could have parked in one of those alleys close to the sidewalk and snatched her quickly in that area into his vehicle, and again knowing the area, all he had to do was zip across Ocean Boulevard, cut up Youpon Dr. and you are OFF the boulevard on a VERY dark, unpopulated back street, straight up to 17th Ave South where one of the few lights are to allow him to get quickly southward on Hwy 17.

If you ever get the chance, "Google walk" the area right there between 25th Ave South and say 15th Ave South. Shady area.

I've always thought the most logical place for someone to have snatched Britt was just as she was walking past the Bluewater. Just as you pass the hotel there is a small alleyway complete with dumpster(s). The alleyway is framed on the right by the side of the hotel and on the left by shrubbery. On the other side of this shrubbery is a parking lot (a park) that leads to public beach access. (This is where the 1st vigil for Britt was held). The front of this parking lot is also framed by shrubbery. There are also trees throughout this parking lot along with some streetlights...but to me, when I saw this place in person, I said wow...anyone could basically "hide" here - as you really can't see in completely from the Boulevard.

I was there when Britt went missing and had traveled down the Boulevard earlier in the evening. Spring break had really wound down and there were very few people out walking and there was minimal traffic in that area.

With it being dark and a no moon night...it seems to me that parking lot would have been a prime place for someone to be hiding. But of course that's JMHO!

I've always thought the most logical place for someone to have snatched Britt was just as she was walking past the Bluewater. Just as you pass the hotel there is a small alleyway complete with dumpster(s). The alleyway is framed on the right by the side of the hotel and on the left by shrubbery. On the other side of this shrubbery is a parking lot (a park) that leads to public beach access. (This is where the 1st vigil for Britt was held). The front of this parking lot is also framed by shrubbery. There are also trees throughout this parking lot along with some streetlights...but to me, when I saw this place in person, I said wow...anyone could basically "hide" here - as you really can't see in completely from the Boulevard.

I was there when Britt went missing and had traveled down the Boulevard earlier in the evening. Spring break had really wound down and there were very few people out walking and there was minimal traffic in that area.

With it being dark and a no moon night...it seems to me that parking lot would have been a prime place for someone to be hiding. But of course that's JMHO!

I know exactly what you are talking about MBLover, if my map works, this spot right here. Anyone could be in that area, in the dark of night, vehicle parked just beyond those bushes...20 seconds flat, at the most.

For others, that building you see is the left side of the Blue Water she was leaving. She exited on the right side and would have most likely walked this way. If you click the link at the top of the map box it will take you to street view and you can 'walk' it back.

As far as creepy places along the route, down around 12-13th South there is actually a tunnel under the street, with street entrance/exits both side for the Sea Mist Resort for their guests to travel across the street to their water park but I dont know if you would need a passkey to use it. They do know she didnt get back as far south as 11th Ave because the same camera that caught her going didnt catch her coming back.

2001 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC - Google Maps

The sex offender registry page for Mr. Moody was not specific about where the offenses occured:
http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=602623&AgencyID=54575

HOWEVER, I decided to look into the numbers and letters associated with his offenses, and those numbers are CALIFORNIA's codes for sex offenses ... see below

http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/registration/offenses.aspx

mlatta, forgive my ignorance, but are all these RSO charges against this poi in CA? TIA

wm

I've been in Florida and not on-line still there but checking in hoping this leads to Britt's recovery. Still catching up but wanted to check in RG

I'm reading every post and wishing I could contribute more here, but it's really difficult and tedious to type much from a phone! I recently moved and haven't had internet installed yet. Next week!

So so so happy to see new developments in Britt's case. I know I can trust you guys to stay on top of things while I'm out of the game.

I also love the fact that all my favorite sleuths continued to keep Brittanee front and center where she belongs even when the case seemed cold for so long.

Missing you guys lots!

Sunset Lodge owner sheds light on Drexel search
GEORGETOWN, SC (WMBF) Investigators were in Georgetown County Monday in relation to the search for missing New York teen Brittanee Drexel. Officers were at an apartment at the Sunset Lodge to execute a search warrant, according to Cpt. David Knipes, with Myrtle Beach Police, the lead agency in the Drexel investigation.

Knipes said investigators with the Drexel Task Force were searching an apartment where a person of interest in the case may have lived when Drexel disappeared in April 2009.

The owner of the Sunset Lodge efficiency lodging complex said the person of interest moved into the apartment the day before Drexel disappeared. He said the man last moved out six months later.

Read the rest of the article and see the pictures at the WBTV Charlotte News:

http://www.wbtv.com/story/15185781/georgetown-county-hotel-scene-of-latest-brittanee-drexel-search

mlatta, forgive my ignorance, but are all these RSO charges against this poi in CA? TIA wm

Here's what I know for sure...

He kidnapped, raped, and sodomized a 9 year old girl in 1983 in california. He was released from prison in 2004 and reloacted to Georgetown SC

In Georgetown, SC, he got busted in November 2010 failing to register as a sex offender 1st offense. Then March 2011 he got busted for indecent exposure.. along with a number of traffic offenses

I wonder if they have or will search the woods behind the hotel.

I really hope her family get answers soon. I hope Britt is alive and held captive somewhere and they find her.

I really hope her family get answers soon. I hope Britt is alive and held captive somewhere and they find her.

Oh gosh I wish I could believe that she's alive but I can not for the life of me imagine that anyone, and most especially this POI, could have kept her captive for this long and evaded the authorities at the same time. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong