Found Deceased SC - Faye Marie Swetlik, 6, Cayce, 10 Feb 2020 #5

He may have other "victims" in the sense that he may have been grooming children online or could have been participating in child *advertiser censored* photo trading? Also I recall someone posted previously something about CT stalking a former classmate? Anyone else recall that in a former thread or was that just rumor/speculation?
I had a similar thought in that she may be his first murder victim. However if he was into kids and only kids then there may have been other victims who lived.

As far as the mind binding attempt to try and understand such a person, you can't. We have to leave that to the psychiatrists and others. Was there mental illness, substance abuse on top of the possible pedophilia/sociopath? Nature vs nurture..All of this now would need to be addressed by professionals via a psychological autopsy. I am sure they will be given the access/cooperation they need by LE.

My prayers are with Faye's family. I know this is a living hell for them. I hope they get all the professional help they need and deserve.

I wonder about CT's family. Was this a total shock for them with no hint or warnings? (No signs of MH, SA, violence) Did they just get a call telling them he killed himself and he also killed a 6 year old little girl? Unfortunately there are usually signs but people either don't recognize them or dismiss them. And then there are cases where the family have tried to get the son help but when they become of legal age the person stops therapy and meds. That was the case in the VTec shooting. We may never know what his family's situation was. I know that I don't envy being in their shoes. I hope both families find peace.

What makes me crazy is that our laws don't inflict more punishment on known pedophiles.

To make the assumption that requiring them to register as sex offenders and live a certain distance from schools is any kind of barrier to their behavior is insane.

The amount of recidivism proves that imprisonment, rehabilitation, even chemical castration rarely "cure" one of them yet we often house them for a few years and send them back out to ruin the lives of new victims.

We know that convicted pedophiles troll for single mothers, then move in with them for easy access to more children.

It's a scary cycle that can make you crazy if you let it. There are lots of little Fayes out there.
I totally agree concerning our laws. They need to change. We need federal law that doesn't limit the number of years for reporting sexual assaults. We need complete castration in my book for pedophiles! A child's life is impacted in almost every aspect. The damage is devastating. They may look ok on the surface but internally they aren't.

You're right on the money concerning them stalking single mothers. I was one and married a very charming man who turned out to be a pedophile! He destroyed my son's life. Depression, PTSD and substance abuse are common among child sex abuse survivors. They are also at risk for suicide which is how my son ended his depression and endless nightmares of what had occurred. They get released only to cause more suffering for more children and their families. I guess it is going to take a really high profile case to get tougher laws. IMHO

I totally agree concerning our laws. They need to change. We need federal law that doesn't limit the number of years for reporting sexual assaults. We need complete castration in my book for pedophiles! A child's life is impacted in almost every aspect. The damage is devastating. They may look ok on the surface but internally they aren't.

You're right on the money concerning them stalking single mothers. I was one and married a very charming man who turned out to be a pedophile! He destroyed my son's life. Depression, PTSD and substance abuse are common among child sex abuse survivors. They are also at risk for suicide which is how my son ended his depression and endless nightmares of what had occurred. They get released only to cause more suffering for more children and their families. I guess it is going to take a really high profile case to get tougher laws. IMHO

=--=-=-=-=------------------------------------------

It is a nice thought until we get deep into the issues that surround it.

"A 2005 study printed in the Journal of the American Academy of Psychology and the Law, found that between zero and 10 percent of sexual offenders who are surgically castrated repeat their crime.
That rate of recidivism in surgically castrated offenders is about the same as it for all sex offenders.
According to the Department of Justice, 5.3 percent of all sex offenders were rearrested for another sex crime within three years of their release.

My concerns with chemical castration (if it was made legal and forced upon inmates) is how often the justice system and juries fail innocent people (Innocence Project.com). Another concern is some institutions will allow rapists off early if they choose to go the route of chemical castration.
"At least one state, Florida, allows sentenced prisoners to choose surgical castration in lieu of prison time. In September, confessed rapist James Allen, 35, chose to be castrated to obtain a reduced sentence."

I would predict that it would be used first and foremost on poor people, and especially black and brown people due to how the system already mishandles and mistreats them. I could easily see a abuse of the chemical castration in that sense. If a guy like Jeffrey Epstein was still alive, he would be a great candidate but with his fame and power, they would never allow that to happen to him.

"Treatment of sex offenders by castration, usually through the use of prescription drugs, is common throughout the United States, though less than a dozen states legally require repeat offenders to be treated chemically. If offenders stop seeing their psychiatrist or taking their medications then the castration becomes almost ineffective. "

"People tend to understand ‘chemical castration’, but it’s not a term we like to use because clearly it’s not something that would be attractive someone thinking about taking medication to help them manage their sexual drives. The other problem with the term is that there are different medications we use for sex offenders and not all of them have the effect of reducing testosterone in a way that mimics castration."

In many cases, pedophile or rape is also more about sadism and power than the act of sex itself. For example, if we were able to castrate Ted Bundy, the sex drive may be eliminated, but he had psychopathy which cannot be treated, so the power trip and sadism would have remained.

Just my opinion which matters little on the blogosphere, I feel that one group in particular who needs the castration the most would never be forced by a judge to have the procedure is priests, especially those that are in direct contact with the Vatican.

"GENEVA -- The Vatican revealed Tuesday that over the past decade, it has defrocked 848 priests who raped or molested children and sanctioned another 2,572 with lesser penalties, providing the first ever breakdown of how it handled the more than 3,400 cases of abuse reported to the Holy See since 2004.

The Vatican's U.N. ambassador in Geneva, Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, released the figures during a second day of grilling by a U.N. committee monitoring implementation of the U.N. treaty against torture."

Sources below (When I am able I usually prefer to post stats from more credible sources than mainstream news or "pop" psychology sites, but these stats hold up.

Vatican reveals how many priests defrocked for sex abuse since 2004
Does Castration Stop Rapists?
Should We Be Castrating Sex Offenders?

We could just lobotomize them, right? Or amputate their legs and arms, that would surely keep them from repeating their offenses. Perhaps a scarlet letter. In our current political climate, I could be considered rather right leaning but I stop well short of cruel and unusual punishment as should every American.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. What needs to happen is increased access to mental health treatment and a reduction in the social stigma associated with being treated for mental health. Probably every single person should just be encouraged to participate in free mental health services. Celebrities and wealthy people do it but there's a stigma associated with it in the middle class. We have a lot of people who are being diagnosed with catch-all disorders and being given zombie drugs but sex offenders are rarely one of these people (other than recently that "wolf" grindr killer).

Sexual psychoses are doubly stigmatized but they are nearly always the root cause of these sort of "out of nowhere" heinous crimes. Our best hope of minimizing them is for people to have access to treatment and real hope of improvement and recovery even if it's only through cognitive behavior therapy.

If you want to be especially conservative about it, look at the people who likely saw the dangerous psychological red flags and did nothing. If we need a change in laws, I think that's where it belongs - in increased culpability for these people as accessories. I don't know if there are any in this case that could be proven or exactly how it would go about being proven but I bet they're there - and in many cases, they're very obvious.

We could just lobotomize them, right? Or amputate their legs and arms, that would surely keep them from repeating their offenses. Perhaps a scarlet letter. In our current political climate, I could be considered rather right leaning but I stop well short of cruel and unusual punishment as should every American.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. What needs to happen is increased access to mental health treatment and a reduction in the social stigma associated with being treated for mental health. Probably every single person should just be encouraged to participate in free mental health services. Celebrities and wealthy people do it but there's a stigma associated with it in the middle class. We have a lot of people who are being diagnosed with catch-all disorders and being given zombie drugs but sex offenders are rarely one of these people (other than recently that "wolf" grindr killer).

Sexual psychoses are doubly stigmatized but they are nearly always the root cause of these sort of "out of nowhere" heinous crimes. Our best hope of minimizing them is for people to have access to treatment and real hope of improvement and recovery even if it's only through cognitive behavior therapy.

If you want to be especially conservative about it, look at the people who likely saw the dangerous psychological red flags and did nothing. If we need a change in laws, I think that's where it belongs - in increased culpability for these people as accessories. I don't know if there are any in this case that could be proven or exactly how it would go about being proven but I bet they're there - and in many cases, they're very obvious.

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=
The ACLU, the American Psychological Association, Amnesty International, and the United Nations would put a stop to any hint of discussion involving amputation or lobotomy. Probably best to let offenders sit in prison and deal with prison code. Two easy ways to get snuffed in prison, be a pedophile or be a snitch.
If entities of our government can be bipartisan and always find a budget to spend on war and illegal occupations, drone strikes (on the poorest black and brown countries, currently at "war" with 7 nations) then I do not mind my tax dollars keeping people in prison for decades doing their time and suffering.

UNTC
Why Amnesty thinks torture should be abolished everywhere
OHCHR | Convention against Torture

=--=-=-=-=------------------------------------------
My concerns with chemical castration (if it was made legal and forced upon inmates) is how often the justice system and juries fail innocent people (Innocence Project.com). Another concern is some institutions will allow rapists off early if they choose to go the route of chemical castration.

Chemical castration is not permanent - it is only in effect for as long as the person is being medicated. I do not have the same concerns about it being forced upon innocent people, for that reason. However, that same circumstance makes it very concerning that anyone could be released on the contingency of chemical castration when it is such an easy thing to discontinue, even if it were effective while in use.

Before CT was named the sole perp, I was not surprised to see a couple of HS classmates sharing the typical story of CT as a non-violent, smart, good student they'd never suspect could be a child killer.

There's a definite pattern to these individuals who seem to bury their dark side while still minors under the roof of their parents--channeling all their energy in academia-- all the while stuffing down their fantasies of children.

As soon as they achieve some independence away from their parents (i.e., college, fulltime work, etc.) they're no longer stuffing down fantasies and becoming more comfortable exploring their dark side -- developing an appetite to move from fantasy to real, live victim. I think Faye was a crime of opportunity and not CT stalking, murdering the victim.

MOO

I am so, so sorry for what you and your son went through!! What a never ending nightmare for you!! <3 <3

I like to think it should be pretty obvious to everyone I was being facetious as an opening statement.
I have found that sarcasm and like statements are often misunderstood on this forum. Learned that the hard way. :p

IMO, The notification and registration laws seem to be having a huge effect on recidivism, and even those are questionable in their partial overreach at times.

I'm glad sweet Faye can know a whole lot of people here on Websleuths came to love her and care about the family she left behind.

We're all made better when we get outside ourselves and love a little fairy, even from afar.

I really hope your first sentence is true.
I have all sort of mixed feelings when I see people posting we think of you, we are rooting for you etc. Especially kids who were repeatedly hurt and abused before death. I think it makes us feel better.

Before CT was named the sole perp, I was not surprised to see a couple of HS classmates sharing the typical story of CT as a non-violent, smart, good student they'd never suspect could be a child killer.

There's a definite pattern to these individuals who seem to bury their dark side while still minors under the roof of their parents--channeling all their energy in academia-- all the while stuffing down their fantasies of children.

As soon as they achieve some independence away from their parents (i.e., college, fulltime work, etc.) they're no longer stuffing down fantasies and becoming more comfortable exploring their dark side -- developing an appetite to move from fantasy to real, live victim. I think Faye was a crime of opportunity and not CT stalking, murdering the victim.

MOO

Honestly, that is why people get away with it, cause many predators are very good at what they do. I don't mean the one that kill the ones in our homes, schools etc. We think it's gonna be the big ugly guy with the white van all the time. I think a lot of people also turn a blind eye because they do not know what to do. I do also think it was a crime of opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if he had seen her before though.

I don't follow very many cases on WS. A missing hiker story brought me here in 2018.

I enjoy open discussions about cases, brain storming with members, but I tend to keep the victim at arms length with my emotions. It's hard for me to be overcome like some members are. I know that might sound bad.

However, this case really got me. Last Friday, I put a purple handkerchief on my tough German Shepherd when we went out for training in honor of one of Faye's favorite colors.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back