SC - Gloria Satterfield, Murdaugh family housekeeper, 2018 Trip & Fall Insurance Fraud

The lawsuit has yet to be resolved with all parties still duking it out in court. Weeks before Murdaugh’s murder trial began, his lawyers rushed to court demanding the case be put on pause until 30 days after a verdict was reached in the criminal case.

docket for insurance case:

Opinion or Order
Filing 99 ORDER The Court GRANTS Murdaugh's motion for a stay untilthirty (30) days after the completion of his murder trial. (Dkt. No. 87). Counsel for Murdaugh is directed to file a status report on the public docket and advise the Court of the conclusion of his murder trial. The Clerk of Court is directed to administratively stay this action until further order of the Court. AND IT IS SO ORDERED. Signed by Honorable Richard M Gergel on 1/13/23.(ltap, )

I have confidence in TS to make wise decisions. Didn't he initially see through AM concerning not receiving any money? I recall reading something about that previously.

Responding to my partial post:

TS learned through media that he and his brother were owed money, which was never paid to the Satterfield brothers.

GS only 57 years of age at the time of death. Imo, why wasn't an autopsy done on middle age person, and why would "natural" death be listed as manner of death?

Of course this is moo, and could be procedure.

Attachments

• 230301152841-05-murdaugh-moselle-property.jpg
    230301152841-05-murdaugh-moselle-property.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 20
Ok..she had a stroke..she fell.. on 8 brick stairs,..then pneumonia set in. Not sure there's any mystery here....

Subdural hematomas are not usually caused by strokes, and in a situation where one did, I would think they'd want an autopsy. That's because she also had head injuries.

It is of course possible that she had a TIA and that was the cause of all her injuries.

We don't know what scans they put her through at the time, nor was there an autopsy.

She could have had a stroke a month later, secondary to the injuries of the fall. That's also possible. Not sure I'd call exploring various medical hypotheses a mystery, though.

IMO.

Subdural hematomas are not usually caused by strokes, and in a situation where one did, I would think they'd want an autopsy. That's because she also had head injuries.

It is of course possible that she had a TIA and that was the cause of all her injuries.

We don't know what scans they put her through at the time, nor was there an autopsy.

She could have had a stroke a month later, secondary to the injuries of the fall. That's also possible. Not sure I'd call exploring various medical hypotheses a mystery, though.

IMO.
BBM
I believe you are probably correct. She fell from "tripping over the dogs"....hit her head, went to the hospital, never regained conciousness, had a subdural hematoma and stroke at some point during the next 2-3 weeks at the hospital and passed. Counld be just an accident as stated, or something nefarious.......We may never know.

Is there a photo of these brick stairs and the landing anywhere?
@Knox -- hope this link helps.

Video by KSLA News 12 has some good shots of the stairs and landing. I've seen some good photos but not from a WS-approved source, and can't link. link.

@Knox -- hope this link helps.

Video by KSLA News 12 has some good shots of the stairs and landing. I've seen some good photos but not from a WS-approved source, and can't link. link.

Thank you, they just don't look overly dangerous to me. But add in rambunctious dogs and being a little older ...

AM creating his own narrative again? moo

AM claims that he was able to speak with GS before being taken away in the ambulance - AM asked what happened, he tried to assess her mental capability at the time, did she know where she was, did she know what was going on … that type of thing. Asked if she knew me (AM), Maggie, Paul? Did she know Ronnie, did she know where she was?

Interviewer: asked AM how she was responding to the questions.

AM: she knew these things. Obviously not functioning in full capacity though, but she knew those things.

AM said he followed ambulance to the hospital.

This article reads that MM and PM were both present at Moselle when GS allegedly tripped and fell backward onto the brick stairs in front of the main house the morning of 02/02/2018. No mention of AM being at the scene.

It all began when Maggie Murdaugh called 9-1-1 at approximately 9:24 a.m. EST on the morning of Friday, February 2, 2018.

“My housekeeper has fallen and her head is bleeding,” Murdaugh told a Colleton County dispatcher. “I cannot get her up.”

“She fell going up the steps – the brick steps,” Murdaugh added, telling the dispatcher Satterfield was “on the ground.”

“Is she bleeding from anywhere?” the dispatcher asked.

“Yes, her head,” Murdaugh responded.

“Okay, are you guys able to control the bleeding?” the dispatcher asked.

“No,” Murdaugh replied. “I haven’t even tried.”

As the dispatcher continued posing questions pertaining to Satterfield’s condition, Maggie Murdaugh sounded as though she were becoming annoyed. Eventually, she handed the phone to her younger son.

“She’s cracked her head and there’s blood on the concrete and she’s bleeding out of her left ear … and out of her head,” Paul Murdaugh told the dispatcher. “She’s cracked her skull.”

Paul Murdaugh proceeded to correct the dispatcher after she recounted Maggie Murdaugh’s account that Satterfield had “tried to stand up and (fallen) down again.”

“No, I was holding her up and she told me to turn her loose and she was trying to use her arm but then she fell back over,” Murdaugh said.

Both Murdaughs told the dispatcher Satterfield was “mumbling” and incoherent.

Asked whether Satterfield had ever suffered a stroke before, Paul Murdaugh became irritated with the dispatcher.

“Ma’am can you stop asking me all these questions?” he said.

Here is the 9-1-1 call in its entirety as obtained by FITSNews in November of 2021 …

As you can hear on the call, neither Paul nor Maggie Murdaugh made any reference to Satterfield’s fall being caused by dogs. Also, unlike Alex Murdaugh’s notorious 9-1-1 call following the double homicide, no dogs can be heard barking or whimpering in the background.

Who advanced the theory that Satterfield was tripped by the dogs? Alex Murdaugh …

Gloria Satterfield​

The Murdaugh's housekeeper, Gloria Satterfield, died after suffering serious injuries at their Moselle home back in 2018.

Initially dismissed as a tragic accident after the family said the 57-year-old had fallen down some steps outside the house, the case has now been reopened after the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) began looking into her death in 2021.

The renewed interest came after Hampton County coroner Angela Topper asked law enforcement officials to investigate because Satterfield's death "was not reported to the coroner at the time, nor was an autopsy performed."

She added: "On the death certificate the manner of death was ruled 'Natural,' which is inconsistent with injuries sustained in a trip and fall accident."

Authorities announced they had received permission from Satterfield's family to exhume her body for testing.

GS was taken to the closest hospital and then transferred to an accredited Level II Trauma Center. There should be little doubt that she would have received a head, chest, and abdominal CT scan and extensive laboratory studies. She would also have been evaluated by a Trauma Surgeon, and most likely seen by a Neurosurgeon. She was also in the hospital for weeks after her fall, and multiple follow-up studies would have been performed. Most of the information about which we speculate already exists (it's just protected by HIPAA). According to her obituary, she was treated at Trident Medical Center in North Charleston. This hospital is owned by HCA and the Murdaugh Family would not be expected to have any influence over her care or potential coverup.

LE would not routinely accompany EMS to a trip and fall call. If there was something suspicious, LE might meet the victim at the Emergency Department.

Interestingly, AM and MM are mentioned in her obituary: Obituary for Gloria Satterfield | Brice W. Herndon and Sons Funeral Home

My gut feeling is that this was a simple fall and AM saw a chance to make money for himself. If his intent was to kill her, why was she sitting up quite alive when EMS arrived?

I wish i knew how many brick stairs she fell down. People often fall a$$ over tea kettle, so it isnt impossible to bang one part or side of your body on a couple of steps then the other, depending on how you fell, height of stairs, and what was it she landed on. Concrete, more bricks or brick pavers...She fell up the stairs? Then wouldnt her whole torso have been banging against the stairs? They need a physicist at the trial to explain motion..did she fall backwards? That would be pretty traumatic on multiple areas of her body and she probably didnt fall STRAIGHT backwards...again height and material she eventually landed on would contribute to severity, i would think.
From photos of Moselle I counted eight brick steps and that is also what Maggie told the 911 dispatcher.

It’s been said numerous times she fell “up” the stairs. Problem is I don’t think there were any witnesses and Gloria wasn’t able to speak except for the one sentence she allegedly spoke to Alex — about the dogs causing her to fall. Personally, I think it seems unlikely she spoke to Alex. Moo.

Alex said he was at the office although that seems early for him to be there, per his paralegal’s testimony during murder trial. Perhaps he was working “the farm” as he has been known to say he often did in mornings before going to office. Maybe someone will be able to verify if he was actually at law office that morning by his key fob records, because he beat the EMTs to Moselle that day.

We have read that Maggie was asleep and I think Paul was, too. It’s never been clear to me how they learned she had fallen but somehow they did since Maggie called 911. And why were the dogs out on the porch if Maggie and Paul were still in bed and Alex was allegedly at the office? As was posted up thread, we don’t hear them barking in the 911 call.

I have always questioned the dog scenario, I also question whether she fell up or down, and I question whether she actually fell or if she was shoved her in anger. If she had found someone’s drugs they might have gotten aggressive. Only my musings and opinions.

Sorry, I cant remember where I read Paul had been in bed. But several articles posted have said Maggie was. Moo.

Last edited:
From photos of Moselle I counted eight brick steps and that is also what Maggie told the 911 dispatcher.

It’s been said numerous times she fell “up” the stairs. Problem is I don’t think there were any witnesses and Gloria wasn’t able to speak except for the one sentence she allegedly spoke to Alex — about the dogs causing her to fall.

Alex said he was at the office although that seems early for him to be there, per his paralegal’s testimony during murder trial. Perhaps he was working “the farm” as he has been known to say he often did in mornings before going to office. Maybe someone will be able to verify if he was actually at law office that morning by his key fob records, because he beat the EMTs to Moselle that day.

We have read that Maggie was asleep and I think Paul was, too. It’s never been clear to me how they learned she had fallen but somehow they did since Maggie called 911. And why were the dogs out on the porch if Maggie and Paul were still in bed and Alex was allegedly at the office?

I have always questioned the dog bit, I also question whether she fell up or down, and I question whether she actually fell or if someone shoved her in anger. Only my musings and opinions.

Sorry, I cant remember where I read Paul had been in bed. But several articles posted have said Maggie was. Moo.
From reading my own HO Policy, I was familiar with "dog" caused accident/injury being covered per the liability clause but I believe it was Mark Tinsley that referenced a dog-related injury as a slam dunk for payout. I'm inclined to believe AM made up the dogs present -- especially if members of the household were still asleep when GS fell. JMO

From reading my own HO Policy, I was familiar with "dog" caused accident/injury being covered per the liability clause but I believe it was Mark Tinsley that referenced a dog-related injury as a slam dunk for payout. I'm inclined to believe AM made up the dogs present -- especially if members of the household were still asleep when GS fell. JMO
BINGO!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk