SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it was leaked and not requested through a FOIA request? Are you referring to the partially redacted officially-looking one published in myhorrynews?

Or the other one that family friends were floating? Whether that one was officially released or not, I'm trying to find out how that one came to be in a private citizen's hands, but not in an official report format.

If anyone can shed some light on these reports, and, if one nor both were leaked I would appreciate it. TIA

I do not KNOW if it was leaked...a number of posters believe it was.

The more I think about it, if LE did leak the PR, maybe it was to show where they were looking, without having to say a word.

I believe that's exactly what happened. A bit of a birthday gift for SM.

Now if tourists were going missing...I might not go...

Also, re: tourism, most people are going to go where they want to go and where they find the prices, hotels, and etc. that they want. Unless I was traveling out of the US, I would never think about local crime as something to affect my vacation plans. We used to go to Atlantic City all the time when I was young and that was no paradise, crime-wise, lol...within a block or two of the boardwalk, it was horribly seedy...may still be that way.

AC is still a dump, but oddly I feel safe going there. If you can make it past the druggies and hookers to the boardwalk, you're fine. And they do have a nice outlet/shopping district now, which is a couple blocks from boardwalk, but relatively safe (during the day). No one goes there for the beach though, lol.

It amazes me no one at her job spoke out about this relationship the good ,the bad and the ugly of it...I mean isn't that where it started?

There's been some rumored stuff, but nothing that can be cited in Websleuths. Thank goodness.

It's not just about a missing persons case not being cover, it's basically a media blackout down here. As someone pointed out, those with close ties to the media also sit on the board of the Chamber of Commerce.

They banned bike week, instituted a helmet law that was later repelled due to the impact it had on the tourism, the public outcry. Just from having to wear a helmet.

Our mayor just took a $30,000 pay raise for "additional duties" for what would generously be called a part-time position that he shares with the City manager. For reference, mayor of Charlotte, NC makes between $13,000 and $16,000.

They instituted a 1% tax increase to pay for the "tourism" ads they were putting out everywhere to make up for the losses incured from the bike week blowout, the helmet law, and the general decline in tourism due to the economy. That tax brought in millions.

The powers that be are not going to take a chance losing any of that!

But there are multiple articles being written about this case every few days, and it's already been 6 weeks. Yes, they are slow about getting information out, but I don't see the case being ignored. It's probably getting more coverage than most missing young adults do.

Why not stop the case from getting any attention if they are worried about tourism? Have a complete blackout on it. With LE not saying a word, it wouldn't be hard to do. There have been articles about the harassment claims, what's going on in SM, etc. It seems to me that the local media does want to cover the case more, but doesn't have enough information or the resources.

17 year old girl disappears on Spring Break in 2009. No resolution yet.

Yes, I know. But of the list of missing that is posted here often, are not most local to the general area?

ETA not that one is not one too many...but one missing tourist does not define a place, necessarily. In the case of Natalee, IMO, it was the horrid attitude and non-assistance that defined Aruba for many people, more so than the actual place, at least it was for me.

Yeah...I saw that a while back. And no section on the sheriff's page either. Nothing about Heather at all, that I could find.

Pretty telling ,imo, of how they handle this "problem"...you don't publicize it!:facepalm:

But there are multiple articles being written about this case every few days, and it's already been 6 weeks. Yes, they are slow about getting information out, but I don't see the case being ignored. It's probably getting more coverage than most missing young adults do.

Why not stop the case from getting any attention if they are worried about tourism? Have a complete blackout on it. With LE not saying a word, it wouldn't be hard to do. There have been articles about the harassment claims, what's going on in SM, etc. It seems to me that the local media does want to cover the case more, but doesn't have enough information or the resources.

I was just looking at the long list of missing persons from my state, and I don't believe I've heard of one of them. Unless a case is sensationalistic or sexy, I don't think it gets much national or even local press coverage, regardless of where it is.

Where is that park? I'm not sure I know it. At least by name.

It's the Burroughs & Chapin park adjacent to that Shell station near 10th Ave North on 17 Business.... where all the homeless people wander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDK...I just feel like people are overestimating the effect on tourism that a missing person case is going to have. Yes, there are multiple unsolved ones, but which ones is the average person going to "worry" about? None of the missing are children, for instance. I just can't see there being some significant loss. The state of South Carolina has a $15 billion a year tourism industry, with about $6.5 billion of that being in the MB area. I would think there would need to be major national media coverage for there to be a noted impact. Like constantly telling people how dangerous MB is, you will go missing, putting fear into people, very sensational rather than the local media just giving more coverage to a missing woman case.

ITA with you... but they definitely SHOULD worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read almost all of the HE threads, and I have not seen the other two boat landings that are near PTL brought up much. There is another newer and bigger and nicer boat landing right after you turn onto Peachtree Road. I have seen plenty of shady-looking characters of all ages meeting up there. It is a huge hookup spot. There is also Enterprise Landing, which is a little south and on the other side of the waterway. Again, Enterprise is a popular hangout spot for locals, especially teenagers and sketchy looking people who are there at all hours fishing. I do not disbelieve that HE went to meet SM at either PTL or the other landing on Peachtree Road, but I also do not disbelieve that she could have run into some other dangerous person. Or people.

If you go over to the other threads from the area…Zach M, Brittanee D, Angie P, Johnny, Kareem, as well as the brutal murder of Amber B and look at the media threads you might see what us locals are trying to say. Why aren't there more articles, news clips, anything on these cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member