SC SC - Johnny Lamar Brown, 44, Myrtle Beach, 3 Aug 2012 - #2

You rock, Peek!
Maybe we could get a more 'official' flyer made up? Also- I had the thought about fairs. They are everywhere in the south this time of year (GA, SC, NC for sure) and have heavy pedestrian and vehicle traffic.
Thoughts?
I have put out the official flyer that the PD gave me. Is there something more official than that? The other one was geared more towards Johnny in a personal way.

I've been getting some inquiries regarding our insider verification process.

Please know that we need to hear from a family member asking that a WS member be allowed to post inside information in their behalf. They can write to wsverify@xmission.com

We do NOT condone our members contacting the family and then taking matters into their own hands. If you have a tip - CONTACT LAW ENFORCEMENT. We cannot hurt an investigation!

:tyou:

Bottom line, verified insiders are supposed to be people that knew the victim and or family BEFORE the event occurred. We have made exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Such a shame, poor Johnny :(

I will keep him in my thoughts.. I really hope he is found safe.

I think the reason that the family was contacted is because those are the numbers they personally put out on Facebook. I was reluctant to call at all because the clothing description didn't match. I actually sent a message to that FB acct the night or day after I thought I spotted Johnny. There was no reply. I finally called the phone number to discuss the clothing with Johnny's sister and she verified that it was him. I felt that there was no need to call LE at that point because JA had all of the information. It was JA that put me in touch with MissJames and OLG. I don't think anyone would've called the family had the family not put their phone numbers up on Facebook. As of one minute ago, they still were.

I understand why it's not condoned and in reality it would have made this a lot more cut and dry if the family hadn't posted their numbers, but we were only trying to help them. In hindsight I would definately have called the police and only the police. After my conversations with the family, I know now that would've been the most prudent thing to do. It would also have made it much easier to focus only on Johnny---the one who's missing.

You know what they say...No good deed goes unpunished

As far as special needs folks and what they can do, in general, did any of y'all ever watch LA Law? I forget the character's name (maybe Bennie?), but a developmentally disabled man worked at the law office. He could do lots of things, but he still was more like a child when it came to street smarts or situations where he could be taken advantage of.

I helped put on a benefit concert for the Association for Retarded Citizens and got to meet a lot of special needs folks, tour their workplace where they sorted things for pay, etc. They can do lots of things, but they aren't fully independent. They need someone looking out for their welfare, too. There is a definite lack of street smarts and ability to handle very complex situations, if you understand the kind of full independence I mean by that.

I'm not surprised that Johnny has had a job, etc. But we have to be careful in assuming that he's able to be out living on his own in a strange town. I've seen no reason to believe that he knows how to navigate all of that by himself.

You rock, Peek!
Maybe we could get a more 'official' flyer made up? Also- I had the thought about fairs. They are everywhere in the south this time of year (GA, SC, NC for sure) and have heavy pedestrian and vehicle traffic.
Thoughts?

Fairs would be awesome, I think! You know, he may be going to places like Animal Kingdom, as a matter of fact. If the people he is hanging out with have money, then they may enjoy Putt-Putt and the like themselves. If he's hanging out with homeless folks, that's probably out, but we don't know who is helping him.

I had druggie friends who really enjoyed Putt-Putt on Friday nights, for the record ;) They were high, and they went places they thought were fun while high. Krispy Kreme past midnight was also big!

Yes, I agree. Back upthread I had mentioned flyers going up at the ABC stores and making sure bolos are in LE vehicles. I don't know the specifics of why the 96 area of interest- but that whole area is basically a bunch of small towns with generations of family and history.
It got me to thinking that maybe we should try and get some college students and churches in the area involved. I know some peeps at Presbyterian and a couple of other schools in the area. Thoughts? They may have civic groups that could get involved.

There's also a Civitan group that says it focuses on those with special needs. I don't know quite what they do, but maybe they could help.

I think the reason that the family was contacted is because those are the numbers they personally put out on Facebook. I was reluctant to call at all because the clothing description didn't match. I actually sent a message to that FB acct the night or day after I thought I spotted Johnny. There was no reply. I finally called the phone number to discuss the clothing with Johnny's sister and she verified that it was him. I felt that there was no need to call LE at that point because JA had all of the information. It was JA that put me in touch with MissJames and OLG. I don't think anyone would've called the family had the family not put their phone numbers up on Facebook. As of one minute ago, they still were.

I understand why it's not condoned and in reality it would have made this a lot more cut and dry if the family hadn't posted their numbers, but we were only trying to help them. In hindsight I would definately have called the police and only the police. After my conversations with the family, I know now that would've been the most prudent thing to do. It would also have made it much easier to focus only on Johnny---the one who's missing.

You know what they say...No good deed goes unpunished

Don't get bummed :( These things can just get tricky. I think it's great y'all contacted the family! What can be put up on the web can just get tricky is all. Different families raise different concerns about that, and the mods have to go case-by-case. It's like the judicial system. It's a good system, and y'all were great, too. No worries :)

(all imho, btw)

I'm not really bummed, just tired, I guess. I understand the possible legal ramifications involved and why WS needs to protect themselves from any of that. The family was aware of who we were and what we were trying to do, but the best thing would've been if they'd come on here themselves. We aren't really insiders and I don't know if we're even locals considering JB is from Georgia. The only one who might meet that criteria is Nonni Brenda. I have no issues with that. I was only trying to do what I thought was right for both Johnny and here at WS. We kept a lot of things to ourselves, but in fairness to all of you, we shared only the important information that might help find Johnny.Our emotions probably ran on the high side because of new developments that kept popping up, but our intentions were good. It was just frustrating, that's all.

I'm not really bummed, just tired, I guess. I understand the possible legal ramifications involved and why WS needs to protect themselves from any of that. The family was aware of who we were and what we were trying to do, but the best thing would've been if they'd come on here themselves. We aren't really insiders and I don't know if we're even locals considering JB is from Georgia. The only one who might meet that criteria is Nonni Brenda. I have no issues with that. I was only trying to do what I thought was right for both Johnny and here at WS. We kept a lot of things to ourselves, but in fairness to all of you, we shared only the important information that might help find Johnny.Our emotions probably ran on the high side because of new developments that kept popping up, but our intentions were good. It was just frustrating, that's all.

Everyone has done a fantastic job no more than the three amigos Nonni, MissJames and yourself, everybody else has been great and its a shame that we seem to have hit a wall now.
It would have been great to have brought him home, but maybe thats not the way it was meant to be.

I for one feel very proud of all of you, thats everyone that has been interested and involved, this whole situation has given me a lot of faith in people that I feel I had lost and I'm not forgetting Johnny at all, I hope he is okay and if he wants to go home, I hope that somehow, he is found or makes his way home.

Still hoping for the best outcome, still here and still waiting for the day

I helped put on a benefit concert for the Association for Retarded Citizens .

SBM

Please tell me that is not the real name of an organization? Are people still using that word?

I appreciate that, Fabgod, and no one is giving up--most likely just trying to figure out how to proceed. I think Johnny will be found and it's just a matter of where and when. You've been a big help, too! You make sure we get a good laugh in now and then and that's productive in it's own way. You've had some great suggestions, too. That's why there's no "I" in team, LOL This is teamwork at it's finest.

Everyone has done a fantastic job no more than the three amigos Nonni, MissJames and yourself, everybody else has been great and its a shame that we seem to have hit a wall now.
It would have been great to have brought him home, but maybe thats not the way it was meant to be.

I for one feel very proud of all of you, thats everyone that has been interested and involved, this whole situation has given me a lot of faith in people that I feel I had lost and I'm not forgetting Johnny at all, I hope he is okay and if he wants to go home, I hope that somehow, he is found or makes his way home.

Still hoping for the best outcome, still here and still waiting for the day

I guess we just wait now and hope LE comes across him .

My heart still goes out to his family.

Wish I could have done more .

I'm on a Federal Commission that advises Congress and I intend to let them know what a huge crack there is to fall through for Developmentally Disabled adults who go missing .

How many other Johnny's are out there?

SBM

Please tell me that is not the real name of an organization? Are people still using that word?

My son has mental retardation .He IS mentally retarded . The problem is when people use it in a derogatory way.

I'm on a Federal Commission that advises Congress and I intend to let them know what a huge crack there is to fall through for Developmentally Disabled adults who go missing .

How many other Johnny's are out there?[/
QUOTE]

I feel bad for the family, too. Especially his parents.

It would be wonderful if you could get the word out about DD adults! You are so right about them falling through the cracks.

I'm just going to say it,I'm confused. Both Summer Breeze and Steely Dan asked questions based on our ( my?) contact with Julie.
I was even asked for Julie's contact info so she could be interviewed for the WS Radio Show.
We put a lot of effort ,time and even money into helping this family .I'd like to believe we even made some progress for Johnny and his family .

This is beyond frustrating to me. Like Peekerfoo said,no good deed goes unpunished.

How many other Johnny's are out there?[/
QUOTE]

I feel bad for the family, too. Especially his parents.

It would be wonderful if you could get the word out about DD adults! You are so right about them falling through the cracks.

I have been spreading the word and intend to follow up at our next Commission hearing at the end of this month. The timing is actually perfect ,although we wouldn't have anything to do with LE.
At least it's raising awareness of potential issues for adults with developmental challenges.

Within this population there are often medical conditions that would certainly complicate a situation like this.

The other Commissioners are in various fields and none from SC or GA ,besides me so I haven't reached the right person to help in this case.

All of ours meetings are transcribed and public info so I'm trying to figure out how to frame this case,given our latest findings and discussion. :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back