SC - Kayden John Stuber, 2, Dead after Finding Gun in Grandmother's Purse. Greenville. 20 June 2019

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by PastTense, Jun 23, 2019.

1. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

I'm willing to be that was not the first and only time she set her purse down with a loaded gun where anyone could reach it. I'm not anti gun rights. But I have a lot of children and always felt it was far safer to never have them in my house. My parents live across the street and my dad has guns. I figured that might be the closest I need to get to accessing one.

2. AC's Grandma

AC's Grandma Well-Known Member

I agree that I would never allow guns in my home, as a parent and even now with our children grown and living elsewhere. My children also were not allowed to be have toy guns. I'm not anti NRA but I also had a child who had severe anger issues and was known to physically injure his sister and that was not a risk I was willing to take.

3. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

^^^^^
    This!
    Your post is absolutely spot-on, sadly.
    Yeah, what a shame about the 2 yr. old, but.... OMG has it really gone this far? Yes, it has.

4. borndem

Good post!

Welcome to Websleuths,
    sleepysleuth !!

human and sleepysleuth like this.
  5. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

I suspect you are correct. She is at a point where she didn't even think about the gun being in her purse and that its loaded and a round in the chamber and she just left it near a 2 year old while she went to the bathroom. Grandma should not be carrying a gun.

6. SoCalDavidS

SoCalDavidS Well-Known Member

One would think that the grandmother would NEVER want to see a gun again in her lifetime. But just in case, perhaps she and Grandpa should have the right to possess a firearm taken away forever. If society ever wanted to send a message or do SOMETHING to prevent tragedies like this in the future, she would also be facing charges of some sort. But we all know that won't happen, and so this incident will just fade away, until the next "accident" happens somewhere else in the U.S.

7. Woodland

Woodland Well-Known Member

Another 'accident' - something has to change imo.

TX - Radyn Terrell, 3, Dead After Finding Gun on a Tall Dresser, 23 June 2019

8. PrairieWind

borndem and AzPistonsGirl like this.
  9. SoCalDavidS

There will be another one tomorrow that's just as hard to read. It will take something like a school shooting with 20 dead 7 year olds to change things. Oh wait.....

10. Woodland

The most difficult part to read imo is 'God works in mysterious ways ...' among other unrealistic views. It's the unrealistic views that form the core problem.

11. SoCalDavidS

That's how the human psyche works. God gives life, therefore God is good. God takes life, therefore God is good. Obviously the kid shooting himself had nothing to do with their possession of a gun, and their carelessness in securing it, it had to do with God having a plan, and working in mysterious ways.

12. Woodland

Fortunately, imo, my psyche doesn't work that way, however I suppose if I found myself responsible for a child or anyone else getting shot I'd look to God, Jesus and NRA members to forgive me.

13. borndem

bbm
    Absolutely agreed. Of course grandma didn't mean to do it, and neither did the other parents or next-door neighbors who left a loaded pistol in the bedside table where their son and his friend were playing.
    So, let's not make this worse by a manslaughter charge or similar offense.
    But the 23 y/o caught with an ounce of pot will go to jail. Shame, shame on him.

musicaljoke, Woodland, human and 2 others like this.
  14. PrairieWind

Do you really think someone caught with an ounce of pot actually goes to jail? Now, I agree what this Grandmother did was incredibly stupid. Should she be criminally charged? With what? I'm in the air about that. Maybe she should be.

15. human

human Well-Known Member

Legal gun owners are law abiding ( until they are not). Those that do not turn into criminals probably do not want to become one.

If the penalty for something happening would be prison, they may not be so cavalier.

Most people think they are the exception otherwise kids would not be getting killed.

Put a few in prison and that may make it more real

16. PrairieWind

If yo
    I am gun ownwer, NRA member, and I agree that people need to be held accountable for poor choices with firearms.

17. SoCalDavidS

It's sad that we have to think criminal charges are a necessary deterrent, and the potential loss of someone else's life is not enough.