SC - Mallory Beach, 19, found deceased after boat crash, Beaufort Co, 24 Feb 2019 *Alex Murdaugh charged*

What a sordid affair this is. At the risk of sounding morbid, I imagine that people in Hollywood are already planning a made-for-TV movie or docu-drama about this case.

I used to live down there, and drove through Islandton on the way to work every day....I have lots of stories about Hampton County, none of which would be appropriate to report here.

What a sordid affair this is. At the risk of sounding morbid, I imagine that people in Hollywood are already planning a made-for-TV movie or docu-drama about this case.

I used to live down there, and drove through Islandton on the way to work every day....I have lots of stories about Hampton County, none of which would be appropriate to report here.
I'm from the northern "lowcountry" of SC and agree. Just reading the comments on the many reports is enlightening. Seems there are alot of twists and turns that lead to the most recent happenings and I wonder if the truth will ever be known.

I'm from the northern "lowcountry" of SC and agree. Just reading the comments on the many reports is enlightening. Seems there are alot of twists and turns that lead to the most recent happenings and I wonder if the truth will ever be known.

There aren't many secrets in Hampton. I suspect that quite a few people know the truth about all of this; the question is, will it ever come out in court.

Mod Note:

While the defendant in Mallory’s death has been killed, we do not want to go off topic on her thread with details of his sudden death here. Paul Murdaugh’s case is linked in my post above, which is where discussion of that specific crime should take place.

On Mallory’s thread you may discuss how that recent death could affect Mallory’s case. A good rule of thumb is to review your post before clicking POST REPLY to be sure Mallory is in some way mentioned in your comment. If it’s not about Mallory it probably doesn’t belong here.

Thank you for your efforts and contributions. This is a tragic and complicated set of circumstances that we are trying to navigate with Websleuths commitment to victims and their families in mind.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel
Administrator/Moderator

Last edited:
I thought 18 years old was considered an adult, so why wasn't Paul being sued alone? He's not even in the lawsuit, is he?
AM owned the boat and let his drunk son pilot it. If I let someone who’s a known drunk drive my car and they hit someone while driving drunk I’d expect to be sued. And rightfully so.

MOO

That doesn't make sense. I would think then they would be out of luck.
Sadly, not in the USA.

Sue'em
attorneys routinely "follow the money"- even if it is leading in a direction where the target's links to the incident are more and more tenuous.

In some cases, a trial, let alone scrutiny by appellate courts is not the goal. Rather, the goal is to strong arm a pre trial settlement from the target- then walk away.

If I let someone who’s a known drunk drive my car and they hit someone while driving drunk I’d expect to be sued. And rightfully so.
Now define "known" and "drunk". With a little creativity, anybody who drinks alcohol can be a "known drunk".

Likewise, by extension, since many people consume alcohol, letting most adults borrow your car puts you at risk (providing you have enough assets to warrant targeting) of a settlement driven lawsuit.

Last edited:
Legal,question…if Paul was convicted, could they have filed a civil suit against…just him…then? Or did the statute 0f limitations run out?
Could he have been left out of the original suit with the expectation that by the time they went after him, he’d have bern convicted…and improve their expectations?

But then the trial was delayed so long…

But certainly they could have added him. Apparently they dropped the party hosts from the suit along the way.

Legal,question…if Paul was convicted, could they have filed a civil suit against…just him…then? Or did the statute 0f limitations run out?
Could he have been left out of the original suit with the expectation that by the time they went after him, he’d have bern convicted…and improve their expectations?

But then the trial was delayed so long…

But certainly they could have added him. Apparently they dropped the party hosts from the suit along the way.

I'm sure the party hosts were dropped as there was no way to prove they supplied alcohol to the boat occupants and in some of the depositions, it was stated that the boat occupants went back to the boat to get more drinks.

My opinion on PM not being added to the civil suit is that he had no assets/money to recover as damages. I suppose they could've tried to garnish any of his future earnings but the M's would have moved any future assets out of his name and changed their estate plans & wills.

JMO

I'm sure the party hosts were dropped as there was no way to prove they supplied alcohol to the boat occupants and in some of the depositions, it was stated that the boat occupants went back to the boat to get more drinks.

My opinion on PM not being added to the civil suit is that he had no assets/money to recover as damages. I suppose they could've tried to garnish any of his future earnings but the M's would have moved any future assets out of his name and changed their estate plans & wills.

JMO

It is likely the party hosts were "dropped" from the lawsuit because they settled out of court. There were several other defendants also "dropped" from the suit, likely due to settlements. Also, it is highly unlikely that there was some plan to add Paul as a defendant later. They would have brought the claims against him at the beginning, if they were going to bring them, so as not to be barred by the applicable statute of limitations. Paul was likely not included because he didn't have any assets.

Boating Under the Influence (BUI) in South Carolina

Boating Under the Influence 1st – BUI 1st is a misdemeanor, and the judge can sentence a convicted person to imprisonment of 48 hours up to 30 days or a fine or community service. The person will also lose his privilege to operate a watercraft (aka boat) for 6 months. The person will have to complete the Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (ADSAP) as well, which usually costs about $500. Finally, he or she will have to complete a boating safety course. If the intoxicated boater causes property damage or bodily injury that is something less than “great bodily injury” as defined below, the person’s boating privileges will be suspended for one year.

Boating Under the Influence (BUI) in South Carolina

Boating Under the Influence 1st – BUI 1st is a misdemeanor, and the judge can sentence a convicted person to imprisonment of 48 hours up to 30 days or a fine or community service. The person will also lose his privilege to operate a watercraft (aka boat) for 6 months. The person will have to complete the Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (ADSAP) as well, which usually costs about $500. Finally, he or she will have to complete a boating safety course. If the intoxicated boater causes property damage or bodily injury that is something less than “great bodily injury” as defined below, the person’s boating privileges will be suspended for one year.

But PM’s family…protected him by showing up and preventing a breathalyzer test, etc.

Different parenting skills, but this crash would have been a wake-up for me as a parent. The best way to protect my son, to me…would have been to have him face the consequences. Someone had DIED! And that someone could have been my child.

Last edited:
After reading the deposition it is clear that people were scared of Paul and he thought he was invincible.
I feel bad for Paul's ex girlfriend who he spit at, hit and verbally abused in front of others. I also feel bad for Malory's boyfriend and her family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back