SC - Mica Miller, 30 yr old Found Deceased - Pastors Wife's Death Being Investigated, May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
She was definitely struggling. I'm not convinced what that specific struggle was yet. That filmed testimony looks theatrical to me. Could be true, could be exaggerated for good theatre. Could be entirely false.

Yeah, I wish there was more video of her testimony so we could see what she was talking about

If Mica died by suicide, where did she get the gun that she used? With likely documentation of mental health issues, it seems it would be very difficult for her to legally purchase one, and she doesn't seem to fit the mold of someone who would know how to get one illegally. Was the gun her husband'? Was it locked away, or lying around, where it could easly be gotten. When was the last time she was even in the home where her husband lives? She likely wasn't living there, imo. Was the gun checked for prints or DNA? Were her hands checked for gunshot residue? So many questions... JMO
It’s the easiest thing in the world to get a gun if you want to commit suicide.
You go into Academy Sports and order one. They don’t have a database to show that you are depressed and on meds and shouldn’t be ordering one.
Then you go back to pick it up the next week after the background check is completed.
Sad but true.
IMHO

Just want to point out that I don’t see this woman committing suicide as a devout Christian. I’m well aware that suicidal ideation doesn’t discriminate, but her actions with the TRO, and divorce proceedings and social media videos seem to point toward her wanting to live.

As someone who is an ex-evangelical and ex-suicidal person, I can tell you that no matter how bad life gets most evangelicals are reluctant to go all the way with ending their lives. Faith and community will usually carry your typical evangelical to a place of reshaping life into a meaningful recovery, and it appears Mica had plenty of gusto and family/community support to keep going.

JMHO.

I also want to know more from her family and friends about her alleged hospitalization in the past? I have 0 familiarity with how involuntary psych holds work in their state, but here even in FL if someone insists they’re not suicidal or a risk to others, the police can’t just cart you away for a 72 hour hold unless there’s something obvious on the surface that may warrant it.

Just want to point out that I don’t see this woman committing suicide as a devout Christian. I’m well aware that suicidal ideation doesn’t discriminate, but her actions with the TRO, and divorce proceedings and social media videos seem to point toward her wanting to live.

As someone who is an ex-evangelical and ex-suicidal person, I can tell you that no matter how bad life gets most evangelicals are reluctant to go all the way with ending their lives. Faith and community will usually carry your typical evangelical to a place of reshaping life into a meaningful recovery, and it appears Mica had plenty of gusto and family/community support to keep going.

JMHO.

I also want to know more from her family and friends about her alleged hospitalization in the past? I have 0 familiarity with how involuntary psych holds work in their state, but here even in FL if someone insists they’re not suicidal or a risk to others, the police can’t just cart you away for a 72 hour hold unless there’s something obvious on the surface that may warrant it.

I see it going both ways, someone wanting to get out of a desperate situation so they end their life and someone struggling with mental health.

Jmo

Does this line in the obituary strike anyone else as strange? "Mica loved her ice bath, nice car, sauna, house, etc." Why would you mention material possessions, unless the writer wanted to point out "look what all i provided her with"? (Also, ice bath?)

Those who believe she did go there alone and chose to commit suicide, why have you reached that conclusion, while the investigation is still ongoing?

And a separate question - information about the gun (how and when it was purchased, etc.) hasn't been released yet, correct?

I didn’t read the files but it looks like the first is Mica filing for divorce. He then filed for support. Spousal or child? And she filed the same lawsuit against him in March
Odd that he filed for support. All the children are his from his previous marriage. And, presumably, as the pastor, he's the major wage earner.

JMHO.

As an evangelical Christian I wish I could say it never happens but that wouldn't be factual. While we still don't have any word from LE if this was suicide or not, I can say that sadly, some Christians unfortunately do sometimes lose the battle with this particular fight, regardless of community.

Does this line in the obituary strike anyone else as strange? "Mica loved her ice bath, nice car, sauna, house, etc." Why would you mention material possessions, unless the writer wanted to point out "look what all i provided her with"? (Also, ice bath?)
They're pretty popular in certain circles. I'd never do it but lots of people are really into it.

This photo is from Mica's recent baptism, her family is celebrating her life at the same spot tomorrow.

View attachment 501469

So her family isn’t going to her service at her husband’s church- yikes!!
They must seriously loathe him to plan a completely separate service.
If he is as controlling as he seems to be then he must have done a really good job of isolating MM from her parents and siblings during their marriage. It sounds like there’s a lot of serious dysfunction and bitterness here.
Very very sad.
IMHO

So her family isn’t going to her service at her husband’s church- yikes!!
They must seriously loathe him to plan a completely separate service.
If he is as controlling as he seems to be then he must have done a really good job of isolating MM from her parents and siblings during their marriage. It sounds like there’s a lot of serious dysfunction and bitterness here.
Very very sad.
IMHO

It's probably best that they hold separate services.

Last edited:
No, plenty of obituaries mention what the deceased liked/loved to do.

Maybe, but the inherent truth of your observation still stands tall- divorce is a "no no" for pastors.

As @Knox stated, "Divorces dont break the career of all pastors and they are not automatically asked to step down".

Though pastors can survive divorce career wise, Knox also states in a discreet way that divorce and a career as a pastor dont mix well (references to "all" and "automatically"). Pastor dismissals can occur for both stated reasons and also for the vague "unstated reasons" ie- "The board wants to take another direction- now."

JPM might be operating without a board. Rather, he could be running the church as pastor and founder. That would eliminate "The board just wants to take another direction...." type good bye following his divorce from the mother of his five children (the more established the marriage is, the bigger the "no no" for a pastor).

But... the divorce still could have led to a decline in membership. As @SteveP noted, a second divorce- and a messy one at that, could cost the career of even an independent pastor as it could lead to an unsustainable decline in membership.

Facing the potential "two strikes and you are out- here comes a very fast pitch" can lead to desperate action in some.
I'm kinda thinking he's operating without a board -- or has full control over the board. In the Christian Post article, he said he had to leave his former church because of his adultery with Mica. "In an interview with The Christian Post on Friday, Pastor Miller admitted that his relationship with Mica began with adultery. He said they were both previously married and cheated on their spouses, and many people left his church, forcing them to start over" Pastor says his mentally troubled wife died by suicide, but some refuse to believe

It certainly seems like a pointed jab for the writer to point out about one whose religion commands them to "lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth".

The obituary doesn't seem odd to me bc I've read plenty of obituaries where it is mentioned what things the deceased person liked/loved to do.
Sure, but this particular list does sound more like a list of material things she was expected to be grateful for as opposed to "things she loved."

For example, "Sam's pride and joy was his 1960 Corvette that he restored by hand and drove through town every Saturday," vs. "nice car." (Nice = expensive.)

"Taylor loved her home and guests frequently remarked on her talent for interior decorating," vs. "house, etc."

See the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member