GUILTY SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston, 2015; Dylann Roof GUILTY #3

Re BBM

Exactly. He got exactly what he wanted for his defense which is one of his rights.

His own original attorneys I am sure tried to talk him out of it and he elected to do it his way. So he got a fair trial exactly what he wanted in his way.

If he does not like the verdict then that is just too bad.
The verdict is just the final result of a trial and should have no bearing on whether he got a fair trial which he did IMO.

Unless there was some grave error somewhere along the way that is identified then I see no reason a second chance should be given to him.

He sure didnt give his victims any second chances so IMO the court should not give him second chances just because he does not like the verdict.

This is interesting in his statements. He is basically telling us that he could kill people again.

I think the jury got it right. Protect society from this evil person.

""You may remember in my confession I said I had to do it. I guess that's not really true. I didn't have to do it, no one made me do it. What I meant when I said that was I felt like I had to do it and I still feel like I had to do it."

http://www.live5news.com/story/34222606/live-coverage-jury-sentences-dylann-roof-to-death

I agree with both your posts, Hatfield. Well said. There is no reason to redo a trial, and I doubt this judge will give it any merit. If I recall correctly, the judge is giving Roof until tomorrow morning to reconsider his request. Perhaps it coudl have some detrimental effect on any future appeals if he allows the motion, even though it will be denied?

Are they going to release the trial (all the infomration>)now or hold off until the state one- which IMO a further waste of money

Kinda surprised it seems like people are surprised?

I am not sure how much will be released until after the state trial. Some will get released fairly soon, I think.

Not that he deserves a retrial, and I cannot come up with any logical reasoning for that ---- but I would be curious if he would do things any different. If not, what would even be the point? And how would different lawyers be any better if he is not going to let them do their job? Did he not get a,ong with these guys, or would he not get along with ANY attorneys he might be assigned?

Why did none of his family ever come to court (other than one day, when Mom had her heart attach episode)? Even if I believed my child was guilty, I think I would be there every day --- I would want to know exactly what occurred and why.

He said something about how he felt like he wasn't heard. I think had it been up to him, he would have also allowed his attorneys to take the lead in the sentencing phase IF they would agree to omit any mention of his mental health evaluations, but they weren't willing to agree to that. His attorneys are staunchly opposed to the death penalty and truly had the best intentions for him. And, clearly, they believed introducing mental health issues was his best hope of convincing a jury to a sentence of life behind bars.

If he felt like he wasn't being heard though, why didn't he make this request earlier? Instead of choosing to represent himself. That would be my reasoning for denying his request, if I were the judge. The problem is that he probably would have been denied that request anyway. His attorneys are incredibly well-respected and have represented many other defendants in high profile death penalty cases (including the Boston Marathon bomber). The judge would have probably denied his request, citing that his current appointed attorneys are the best the country has to offer him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for anyone, does that mean he will be executed under indiana or south carolina? And will he return to south carolina for the state trial? TIA

If there is a SC trial for these crimes, he will have to be in the courtroom (the US Constitution gives him the right to face one's accuser, etc.), but he would be under tight security, of course, since he would be an inmate of the Feds. If he is convicted by a SC jury, IDK where he would go next, but I would think the Feds would have "dibs" on him, so he would probably go back to Indy.

But as far as the present is concerned, he will go to Terre Haute where DP prisoners are held.

The United States Penitentiary, Terre Haute (USP Terre Haute) is a high-security United States federal prison for male inmates in Terre Haute, Indiana. It is part of the Terre Haute Federal Correctional Complex (FCC Terre Haute) and is operated by the Federal Bureau of Prisons, a division of the United States Department of Justice. USP Terre Haute houses a Special Confinement Unit for male federal inmates who have been sentenced to death as well as the federal execution chamber. FCC Terre Haute is located in the city of Terre Haute, 70 miles (110 km) west of Indianapolis.[SUP][1][/SUP]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Penitentiary,_Terre_Haute

Charleston shooting trial: What's next for Dylann Roof?

"Charleston, South Carolina (CNN)...
Roof will become the first federal hate crime defendant to be sentenced to death, a Justice Department spokesman said.
US District Judge Richard M. Gergel, who has presided over the trial, will hold the formal sentencing Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. ET....

A group of defense attorneys and others who worked on Roof's behalf issued a statement, saying the death penalty decision means the case will not be over for a "very long time."

A former prosecutor in South Carolina, Holman Gossett said it's possible for Roof could ask for a new trial.

"He didn't have any attorneys helping him in the penalty phase so he may make that motion after reflecting on it," Gossett told CNN affiliate WSPA. "Then it would go through the process of automatic hearings with appellate courts to see if there's any reason under the law that it should not stand legal grounds."..."

[video=cnn;us/2016/12/15/dylann-roof-murder-trial-death-penalty-jpm-orig.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/us/dylann-roof-sentencing/index.html[/video]

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/us/dylann-roof-sentencing
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Post and Courier Retweeted
Deanna Pan ‏@DDpan 9m9 minutes ago
Statement from former Charleston Mayor Joe Riley on Dylann Roof's sentencing:

C12LF3gW8AAHHJH.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Post and Courier ‏@postandcourier 4m4 minutes ago
#EmanuelAME's pastor, Rev. Eric Manning, says his church will suffer the effects of Dylann Roof's crime forever. 🔊 http://bit.ly/2iATmRS .

[video=twitter;818965512084393988]https://twitter.com/postandcourier/status/818965512084393988[/video]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shooting victims' loved ones to address Dylann Roof, judge at sentencing today

"After weeks of gut-wrenching testimony, a federal judge formally will sentence Dylann Roof to death this morning after family members of the nine killed get an opportunity to address the killer in court...

Roof, who sat stone-faced and silent through most of his hate crimes trial, showed no emotion as the jury’s verdict was read. During his closing argument earlier in the day, he passed on the chance to argue for his life, saying “I’m not sure what good that will do anyway.”..."

http://www.postandcourier.com/churc...cle_14692392-d7f3-11e6-a1e2-2fae8b0bcc37.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 8m8 minutes ago
In 30 min formal sentencing hearing for #DylannRoof begins. Jury sentenced Roof to death Tues. after 3 hrs deliberating. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 5m5 minutes ago
Per other fed sentencing hearings, family members have chance to speak 1st, followed by Defendant, then judge sentences. #chsnews #RoofTrial

At this time we're expecting family members of the victims to speak in court. It's not known if #DylannRoof will speak. #chsnews #RoofTrial
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 3m3 minutes ago
JUST IN: Court official says the judge has opted to keep the names of the jurors anonymous for the time being. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 3m3 minutes ago
We've just learned that the judge is keeping the identities of jurors anonymous for the "long term." @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 42s42 seconds ago
"Good morning," Judge Richard Gergel says as he takes the bench. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 6m6 minutes ago
Appears to be packed courtroom. #DylannRoof is sitting beside attorneys wearing a green colored sweater. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 4m4 minutes ago
Gergel says jurors asked to attend the sentencing hearing today. So right now, they're being brought in. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

Judge Gergel says the jury requested to attend the sentencing hearing today. "Bring in the jury," he says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Everyone rises in the courtroom. #DylannRoof glances at the jurors as they walk in, then turns head. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Gergel asks if #DylannRoof wants his standby counsel to assist during sentencing hearing. Roof says yes. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Roof asks to have his standby counsel assist him in the sentencing hearing today. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

Gergel will allow it. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 2m2 minutes ago
Gergel says he's received a motion to bifurcate today's sentencing hearing so a pre-sentencing report can be prepared. @wis10 #DylannRoof

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 2m2 minutes ago
"I have no need for a pre-sentence report," the judge says. He says he's very familiar with the defendant. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

Gergel says he doesn't need a pre-sentence report because he has a "vast" about of information already. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 56s56 seconds ago
He denies the motion for a delay in the sentencing proceeding. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 4m4 minutes ago
Gergel says the motion asks for the defendant to be heard. "I will absolutely allow that," he says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 49s49 seconds ago
"I will first hear from the government," Gergel says. "I will next hear from the defendant and his counsel." @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

COURT PLAN: First hear from prosecution and whoever wants to speak, then from defendant, then sentence. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Govt calls family members of Tywanza Sanders, first Felicia Sanders. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 5m5 minutes ago
Jay Richardson speaks and says Tywanza Sanders' family is up to speak. Felicia Sanders first. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

Felicia begins reading from a prepared statement. She's addressing Roof directly. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

Felicia starts off calling #DylannRoof by his 1st name. Says he didn't give any of the victims any respect #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

She tells them he showed "no respect at all" to any of the victims. "But I'm going to give you respect," she says. #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"Since June 17, I've gotten to know you. I've gotten to know you bc you've been in my head," Sanders says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"You're in my head everyday all day," Sanders says. "I can't hear balloons drop. I can't see fireworks." @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"Most importantly, I cannot shut my eyes to pray," she tells Roof. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"When I look at my Bible it reminds me the blood Jesus shed for me and you, Dylann Roof," she tells him. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

It was the Bible she had in Bible study that June 2015 night. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

arina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 5m5 minutes ago
Sanders says she's brought her bible into the courtroom everyday, torn up, has holes in it. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"I don't know what to do from here on out," Sanders says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"This is my bible," Sanders says as she holds it up. "It's blood stained, but I wanted my bible." #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"This is my Bible," she says, holding it at the lectern. "It's all blood-stained...but I'll cherish this Bible." #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"I feel sad for you. Yes, I forgive you. That was the easiest thing," Sanders says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"May God have mercy on your soul," Sanders says as her final words. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"I still forgive you. That was the easiest thing I had to do," she says. "May God have mercy on your soul." @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shirrene Goss, the sister of Tywanza Sanders speaks now. "You don't like to be called evil," she tells him. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"You don't like to be called evil," Goss says. "But you... are among the worst kind." #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

She tells Roof that he is evil. "You did not have to do this," Goss says. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"You don't like to be called evil," Goss says. "But you... are among the worst kind." #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"You didn't start a race war," she tells him. "You didn't accomplish anything but deep hurt for a lot of people." #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"You didn't accomplish anything, but deep hurt for people," Goss says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

had K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 3m3 minutes ago
Roof isn't looking at or acknowledging the victims' family members. It seems he's looking down at the table. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"Let us not forget, the survivors, who are near and dear to me," Goss says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"You're going to realize [one day] that you didn't have to do this," Goss says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"You're going to have to ask... no you're going to have to beg for forgiveness," Goss says to Roof. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"My brother didn't deserved what he got, but you deserved every bit of the sentence you received," Goss. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"We're not broken, we're hurt, yes, but we're not broken. That's all," Goss says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Govt calls Tyrone Sanders to the stand. He's Tywanza's father. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"Snowflakes... are precipitations from the clouds. Each crystal of snow if very different," Sanders says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"If you look at each individual in this room, each are like a snowflake," Sanders says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"We all started from one or two individuals," Sanders says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"We are still human," Tyrone Sanders tells Roof. "We all started from one or two individuals." @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

He asks Roof to close his eyes and then look around the courtroom. Roof doesn't respond. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

When asked to close his eyes #DylannRoof doesn't. He sits looking forward. Attorneys look at Sanders. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Sanders steps away from the podium. Couldn't tell exactly what he was saying. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 7m7 minutes ago
Govt calls Maybel Terry Washington (not sure on spelling). She's related to Tywanza Sanders. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 7m7 minutes ago
Now, Tywanza's aunt speaks. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

Washington says she wants to talk about Susie Jackson, who she calls her aunt, even though she wasn't. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 8m8 minutes ago
Washington says she's going to miss Jackson's light hearted attitude. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

During Washington's statement, Gergel pipes in at times with some remarks, courtroom laughs. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Washington now talks about Tywanza. "The thing that affects me the most is our cousins," she says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"Cousins have taken this hard... they're missing his phone calls," Washington says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"You not only affected the people in the church that night. You affected your family, and the world." #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"We're not going to let him destroy us," Washington says. "It hasn't happened, it won't happen." #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"Boy, before you leave this world you better repent," Washington says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"Son, before you leave this earth you had better repent!" she tells Roof. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof
------------------------------------------------------------------

Govt Ertha Joyce Terry Brown (spelling?). Says she would like to look at judge, not #DylannRoof. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Next family member chooses to look at Judge Gergel rather than Roof. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

It sounds like Brown is the sister of Felicia Sanders. Brown directs her comments to the judge. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"I just want to say... it really hurts," Brown says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 6m6 minutes ago
"I was a faithful, faithful member at Mother Emanuel AME Church," she says. "Now, for me, I can't even go downstairs in that basement."

Brown says she can't even go downstairs in #MotherEmanuel's basement anymore. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"I can't walk over memories of the 9 most incredible... people I've met," Brown says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Brown says even the kids don't want to go downstairs in #MotherEmanuel anymore. "It's sad, it's sad." #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"You don't hate the person, you hate what they do. And what you do is you talk to people to [work it out]," Brown. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"This dude isn't even listening to what we're saying," Brown says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"This dude is not listening to a thing we saying," she says of Roof, who's still looking down. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Janette Terry Scott speaks next. She's Tywanza's "favorite" aunt. Court laughs. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Now, Tywanza's "favorite aunt" is speaking. The courtroom laughs as she makes that proclamation. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"I'm the one I know for a fact, he loved. L-O-V-E, loved," Scott says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Scott pauses when she speaks to the court. Talks about Felicia's tough pregnancy with Tywanza. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

When Tywanza was born she says everything became, "Wanza, Wanza, Wanza." #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"'Wanza was everyone's child," she says. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"Dylann... Dylann! I know you can hear me," Scott says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"Dylann!" she yells, trying to get his attention. "I know you can hear me!" @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

She tells him he should have given her nephew a chance. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"Instead of giving [Tywanza] love, you gave him another bullet," Scott says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"I started writing something down, but I chose not to... I come up and speak from my heart," Scott says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Scott says last thing her nephew said to her when she left her sister's place is "I Love You, be careful." #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"I knew my nephew loved me," she says. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"Tywanza was an organ donor," she says. "Those organs were not able to be distributed to people." @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"Most of all his heart. Not only did you destroy love... you may have taken away someone [else's heart," Scott says. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"I wish you would look at me, boy," she says. "But I know you hear me." @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"May the Lord have mercy on you," she tells Roof. He's still looking down. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"May the Lord have mercy on you," Scott says to Roof after she tells him she wishes he would look at her. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Govt calls Kenya Pinckney, Clementa Pinckney's brother. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"On behalf of Pinckney family, we want to thank courts for this swift sentence," Pinckney says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"We would like to thank the court for this swift and just sentence," he says. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

He traveled from Germany (he's in the military) to be here. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

Pinckney currently lives in Germany. Served in the military. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"I want to thank the family members who stepped in to help my family during my absence," Pinckney says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"We just thank the state of SC and the court for all you have done," Pinckney says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"There are just so many people, to many to name. Just thank you again," Pinckney says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"It's a terrible loss to all of us," he says before concluding his remarks. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annie Graham Simmons steps up next. She's the widow of Rev. Daniel Simmons Sr. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"For the last 19 months, what has kept me going, was two words," Simmons says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"They're small words, but have a magnificent impact. Those words are 'but God'," Simmons says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"Mr. Roof, I would suggest these two words to you if you have not experienced them," she says. "But God." @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

She's referring to a book. She says that book, But God, has helped her maintain her strength and move forward. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"One of the worst things I had to do was receive the news, he passed away three hours ago," Simmons says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"Sometimes in our life journey, we lose our way, but God finds us," Simmons says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"What does God require of us, but to be taught to love and do justice," Simmons says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"This morning I'm satisfied," Simmons tells the court. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"God blessed [the 9] and welcomed them home. I thank you judge," Simmons says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Govt calls Alana Simmons, Rev. Dan Simmons' granddaughter. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

Simmons says since Roof's bond hearing she's been working on a campaign "Hate Doesn't Win". #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"The thing I'll miss the most [about her grandfather] is his strength," Simmons says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"[His death] has brought my family together, the community together," Simmons says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"Regardless of what you say, think, write, you don't have power to control anything on this side of room," Simmons. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"Your choices brought us here," she tells Roof. "But, our choices...have kept us here." @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"I think God chose the nine people there," she says. Simmons says God chose to elevate the message of love. @wis10 #RoofTrial #DylannRoof

"I think God chose the 9 people there. I think God chose #MotherEmanuel," Simmons says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence

"I think he chose them to create love," Simmons says. #chsnews #RoofTrial #RoofSentence
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back