SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #2

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by bessie, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagara

Wagara Wishin' and hopin’ and thinkin’ and prayin’...

I haven't spoken to anyone who who feels anything other than sorrow and pain at these murders and the lives lost. Seems to me there is disgust in some quarters that all heck hasn't broken loose. The local papers/TV stations are being accused of baiting for coverage. I guess no chaos is bad for the news business.

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Crown Winner by Default ~ Don't Judge :D

Rev. Clementa Pinckney funeral arrangements set

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Funeral plans have been made for South Carolina state Sen. Clementa Pinckney, one of nine victims in the shooting massacre at a Charleston church.

[​IMG]
    A Nov. 22, 2010 photo shows the Rev. Clementa Pinckney at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, S.C.(Grace Beahm/The Post and Courier via AP)

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/29369832/rev-clementa-pinckney-funeral-arrangements-set

3. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

I am NOT saying anyone is secretly pleased about the murders. I think you missed my sarcastic point. Which was that some seem to THINK southern whites feel that way. JMO

4. katydid23

here is an example of what I am reacting to:

"There was nothing outrageous in his manifesto. These are comments I constantly see posted on the Internet, on mainstream websites. The obsession with "black on white" crime is a big one. His views are accepted by a large percentage of Americans."

5. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

Saying that there are some racists in South Carolina is not at all the same as "characterizing whites in the South as vile racists."

The way the whole line of discussion developed was that it was discovered that the shooter was racially motivated, and is a proud racist. Racism does not develop in a vacuum, nor is it natural. So the question is asked -- how did he come to accept these views? It has then been noted that there are a large number of hate groups per capita in South Carolina. Many who have lived there have also said that in their experience, there is no shortage of racists there. The flag is seen as a symbol of enduring racism by many, and it is embraced by many racists, so it has been mentioned as well.

But nowhere does any of this imply that "whites in the South are vile racists". Some are, but nobody is saying that everyone is.

And to suggest that people here think that some are 'secretly pleased' about the murders is, I think as eileenhawkeye put it, disturbing. I think that dismissing it as being 'a bit flip' is likewise disturbing.

JMO.

6. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

It seems sarcasm is acceptable for some and not others. jmo

7. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

8. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Crown Winner by Default ~ Don't Judge :D

i'm southern, born and raised, and i'm white, and i'm utterly heartbroken and grieving that this would happen again within my lifetime........when will we stop killing one another for no other reason than hate? i dream of that day..........i pray for that day.......i hope my children live to see it for now i fear i won't and i already mourn the death of that hope i carried :rose:

9. KaaBoom

KaaBoom `·.¸¸ ><((((º> ...·´`·.¸¸ ><((((º>...·

Outrage after Charleston judge tells relatives of murdered churchgoers that the killer's family are VICTIMS... as it is revealed he was once reprimanded for using the n-word in court

There is no evidence that any of his family members have been the victims of anything. The judge's bizarre comments are so far out of line, it's ridiculous. If you believe that any judge would come to the defense of a black suspect's family like that... :facepalm:

10. KaaBoom

It's called, grasping at straws.

11. IzzyBlanche

IzzyBlanche Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken, but I think this is what KaaBoom was referencing (BBM):

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-oklahoma-city-bombing-20150419-story.html#page=1

12. mysteriew

I cannot think of any judge asking for sympathy for a suspects family. But then I also cannot think think of any judge allowing family impact statements at a bond hearing either. That could actually be seen as prejucial since he allowed the family to discuss the impact of the crime before the guilt was determined.

13. mysteriew

14. Wagara

Wagara Wishin' and hopin’ and thinkin’ and prayin’...

Not trying to sell...putting it in a bag and trying to give it away!

15. KaaBoom

16. IzzyBlanche

IzzyBlanche Well-Known Member

You're right, of course. I deleted my post. I misunderstood the question. My apologies.

17. katydid23

In some ways, imo, the manifesto is irrelevant.
    Tonight, seven people were shot in Detroit, and seven more were shot in Philly. Random spree shootings. Does it matter if the killer wrote a manifesto before he began spraying the street with bullets?

You have to have HATE in your heart if you can open up on a crowd of people in a park and start shooting at them with an automatic weapon. JMO

18. mysteriew

This is what I hate! One person commits an act, makes a statement and suddenly he is the spokesman for every white person. He is not speaking for me! I decry what he did. I object to what he said. I believe he should be tried and if convicted should be subject to the laws of the state up to and including the death penalty. Is that enough or do I need to apolige because this person, a total stranger to me, a person that I do not agree with also happens to share my skin color?

19. katydid23

But he still attacked them. And there have been killings in China by knife point. Not as many die, true. But there is violence in other countries. Guns or not, people find a way.

20. katydid23

EXACTLY. The judge was getting ready to introduce the families of all of these victims who were brutally killed. So he took a quick second to include the killers family by saying they were being swept up in the tragedy as well, which is true. THEY TURNED HIM IN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.