PARENTS KILLED AMBER ALERT ISSUED FOR 13-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER
---
POLICE NEED PUBLIC'S HELP IN FINDING MISSING AND PREGNANT KIERRA COLES

SC - Parents charged after 6 kids found infested with bugs, living with pigs

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by Lovejac, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Lovejac

Lovejac Well-Known Member

http://www.live5news.com/story/2614...er-6-kids-infested-with-bugs-living-with-pigs

2. Flutterflies

Flutterflies Active Member

I hope those two never get these precious babies back. This is unbelievable. smh

3. Nacho

Nacho New Member

How can anyone live like that?!?! Those poor children! :( So glad they have been taken away

4. craftybatchy

craftybatchy Verified Odd Duck

22 yrs old with 6 kids ? If her youngest is 23 months as reported, she had all 6 by the time she was approximately 20 yrs.

Lord have mercy.

5. Lovejac

She had no time for cleaning and basic hygiene, but she had plenty of time for breeding. :facepalm:

6. jmcgladr

jmcgladr Active Member

Not to mention that her hubby, who is almost twice her age, was probably committing a felony when he got her PG with the oldest kids, assuming they're all her biological kids! So young - you might be able to argue that she didn't know better, but HE is middle aged and there is no excuse!

7. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

I agree. Kudos to the church camp workers for stepping in. The mother may be as much a victim as the children. I think for every case that comes to light, there are dozens more hidden. What a shame.

8. mikkismom

mikkismom Well-Known Member

9. Lovejac

10. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

Sounds like they all lived like that.
    I would be curious to see if a swarm of people went in, cleaned and sanitized the place, exterminated the crawlers...and taught them
    Basic living skills if it would make a difference.

Were the parents broke? Depressed? Addicted? Low functioning?

11. jmcgladr

jmcgladr Active Member

Sorry, was speculating too much. But yes, a scary profile pic!

12. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

Looking at moms Facebook ...I get the feeling they're poor & overwhelmed at the moment. They appear to love their children.

While I get many are freaked out by lice, roaches, and animal feces....( myself included) you would be utterly shocked at the vast numbers of children that live that that in ghettos in this country.
    They may not have pigs... But they sure have rats the size of small cats.

In no way do any of those children appear malnourished.

I would have hoped the "concerned church folk" would have offered a helping hand and helped this family stay together.

All IMO

13. jmcgladr

jmcgladr Active Member

I agree, to some extent. They clearly need to get their act together, and figure out how they let things get so bad. They do seem to love, and have fun with, their kids. But loving your kids also means providing them with a basic standard of care, sanitation, and adequate food. It does seem like their friends are rallying behind them, on the FB support page. If they get their kids back, I hope they are monitored well and do a better job. I get the impression the FB support page is kind of edited to fit an agenda - "see what good parents we are?" but then again, who posts their parenting fails on FB? Most people only post the good moments.

14. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

Personally, I think the money the state is forking out for fostercare would be better spent giving them intensive in home services.
    It's really a shame the church couldn't be so bothered. Irks me no end.

Like I said, those children appear to be above a healthy weight.

If children were removed from homes due to insect & rodent infestations....there would be another 100000 children easily overwhelming the system.

I've personally known fosterparents who battled lice for months from a new placement.

Fleas? The last house I owned came infested. It took quite awhile to gets that under control. BTW...save your money & don't hire an exterminator...didn't do a darn thing...borax is the answer!!!!

Roaches? I'd burn my house down to the ground before I share my home with one. But countless people do. Yes, it's disgusting.

15. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

We had a family like this in the community where my church is. The kids came to our church as a part of the bus ministry, and sometimes the parents brought them.

I don't think there was a kid in the church they didnt give lice to at some point.the kids went to school with mine, I was friends with their grandmother and knew their dad before he married into this family.they were poor, but a loving family who took good care of the kids. The dad was clean until he joined the family, the grandmother tried to help, even as far as giving them a trailer on her land,But they were filthy and preferred living this way. They had everything they needed but they lived in a trailer in filth and the kids were always dirty and always had lice.

At school DHR was always involved due to the filth and lice. It didnt do any good. I gave them nice clothes. It wasn't long before they looked like the rest of their clothes.

These kids are grown today. They seem to be well adjusted with kids of their own. The bottom line is, you can't blame the church, or the school, or anyone. Some people are happy living this way and you aren't going to change them.

16. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

You're right, some people are. I would venture to guess most IMO most aren't.

IMO those children deserved a least a shot and their parents a helping hand before being ripped away from their family.

17. buffetoflies

buffetoflies Active Member

wtf i see no filth in the pictures on fb...

18. jmcgladr

jmcgladr Active Member

I wonder if those photos were taken at other locations? Or maybe long ago, or on days when cleaning had been done. I know I personally hate to take pics at home when the apartment is messy. Hard to know. Maybe things just got bad fairly recently?

19. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

It almost looked like the well lit photos were taken at a supervised family visit at CPS

Have to check out the dates on those photos

20. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20141217/ARTICLES/141219617