SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure there might have been some hidden corners to miss them but no one in family jumped out at me in Daily Mail article photos.

Iirc B Satterfield has learning/ disability?, look in the front row and there is a fair haired young man with blue mask. Barely see his face. Gotta feeling that is him.

Jmo

In reporting on Newman’s appointment to this post, I noted it was “viewed as a bad omen for Alex Murdaugh and the lengthy list of likely defendants expected to follow him in the criminal queue.”

Specifically, I referenced the 70-year-old judge’s reputation for being “tough, but fair.” Others noted Newman was “not a good draw for Murdaugh and the others who will be charged.”

“They are all going to prison,” one veteran South Carolina criminal defense attorney told me.

Murdaugh Murders Court Hearing: Bravo, Judge Clifton Newman

There’s no amount of bond the court can set that can provide safety to Mr. Murdaugh and the community,” the judge said.

Newman’s ruling shocked a packed courtroom of attorneys and reporters. Frankly, it shocked me too.

After all, Newman not only rebuked the recommendation of powerful defense attorneys Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin (above) – who suggested Murdaugh receive a personal recognizance bond – but he overstepped even the recommendation of Wilson’s deputy, Creighton Waters, who argued the defendant should have been granted a $200,000 surety bond with ankle monitoring as one of its conditions.

Oh, Waters’ bond request was considered aggressive, too, based on the charges Murdaugh was facing … although the attorney general’s office obviously had no issue with Newman’s decision.

Newman didn’t stop there, though … he even went past the bond recommendation suggested by attorney Ronnie Richter, one of two lawyers representing the Satterfield family. Richter suggested Murdaugh be granted a $4.3 million bond – an amount equivalent to the allegedly stolen settlement funds.

Newman wasn’t having that, either. He straight up denied bond.

In other words, when presented with “hot, medium and mild” options for this particular bond hearing, Newman went nuclear.

Murdaugh Murders Court Hearing: Bravo, Judge Clifton Newman

I can't read this one, paywall. It wasn't information about his wounds, it was about his behavior in the hospital.

A notation on the document – the authenticity of which could not immediately be validated – described the subdural hematoma as “small.” Additionally, Murdaugh did not require surgery as a result of his wound and was observed by medical staff “pacing” around the hospital in the aftermath of his initial examination.

Murdaugh Murders: Defense Attorneys Release Alex Murdaugh’s ‘Medical Records’ From Roadside Shooting

Yes, after he took father to hospital he went home took a nap went back to check on mom when returned found MM& PM deceased.

Iirc

Jmo
please pardon if this has been answered a million times..... when the double murder news first broke, weren't there reports that alex had been out shooting? if so, how was that "misinformation" explained in the press?

Iirc B Satterfield has learning/ disability?, look in the front row and there is a fair haired young man with blue mask. Barely see his face. Gotta feeling that is him.

Jmo
All the more reason he needs financial security. LD doesn’t mean diminished intellect but sometimes there are LD and related emotional issues that make it hard to get and keep employment that pays a living wage and has benefits.

Last edited:
please pardon if this has been answered a million times..... when the double murder news first broke, weren't there reports that alex had been out shooting? if so, how was that "misinformation" explained in the press?

There was something about hunting as well as “out shooting” but I’m not sure on the source or if there’s anything to it. He was at the hospital and his moms home too according to media reports.

Jmo
I saw a photo today, that I can’t relocate, but it identifies Satterfield family sitting in middle row. Not far from where AM was sitting. I did see two younger men in the first row separating AM and gallery but the article said they (Satterfield) were in the next row back.

During the bond hearing, Muradugh’s attorney Dick Harpooltian claimed that during the Satterfield lawsuit, Murdaugh had no say in where the money went and that he was not the lawyer -- but the defendant.

The prosecutors claimed that Murdaugh used his position of power to take control of the Satterfield situation.

Judge denies Murdaugh’s bond, orders psychiatric evaluation
He, DH, is the worst. Beyond smarmy. Have you noticed that in last few interviews with the two lawyers they have dropped the visit to AM’s father’s bedside? They’re now saying his ironclad alibi is his visit to his mother’s house where they watched a game show and though mom has dementia her caregiver confirmed the visit.

A notation on the document – the authenticity of which could not immediately be validated – described the subdural hematoma as “small.” Additionally, Murdaugh did not require surgery as a result of his wound and was observed by medical staff “pacing” around the hospital in the aftermath of his initial examination.

Murdaugh Murders: Defense Attorneys Release Alex Murdaugh’s ‘Medical Records’ From Roadside Shooting
This other info was more than that. It won't let me PM you.

(from the Daily Mail article posted above)

"Murdaugh's other lawyer, Jim Griffin, added, 'The Alex Murdaugh who is not hooked on drugs has lived a good, fruitful life - a law-abiding life. Only when he got hooked on opioids did things turn south and he truly regrets his conduct.'

Great, so 'only' for the last 20 years have 'things gone south'. That's nearly 40% of his life that he's been 'hooked' and NOT living a 'good, fruitful, law abiding life'.

This is it.
Thank you to Gardenista for finding the article for me, much appreciated. It's behind a paywall.

It just shows some of the other behaviors of AM while in hospital.

"Documents show Murdaugh grew increasingly impatient during his hospital stay, even as his brothers and son visited his bedside.

He complained of head pain, rubbed his scalp and said the three painkillers the hospital treated him with “aren’t helping at all anymore.” A nurse described him as “irritable” the morning after the shooting.

Murdaugh requested permission to roam the facility and once was found out of bed without permission. He tried to bribe an employee with $20 to gain access to a phone. He regularly asked when he could go home."

Hospital records detail Alex Murdaugh's wounds from alleged staged shooting

Alex Murdaugh is denied bond on $3M theft charges | Daily Mail Online

South Carolina Assistant Attorney General Creighton Waters said within months, Murdaugh took the money and put it in his personal accounts.

'He had been carrying $100,000 credit card balance for months,' Waters said. 'That gets paid off. He writes 300 and some odd grand to his father. He writes a check for 610 grand to himself. He writes a check for 125 grand to himself. Not a dime goes to this family.'

Waters asked for a $200,000 bond and GPS monitoring, saying the fact that Murdaugh tried to arrange his own death shows he could become violent and has the ability to run away if he wants. 'A man who is a danger to himself is a danger to others,' Waters said.

Referring to the property theft charges against Murdaugh, Waters said cryptically: 'this is the tip of the iceberg. There is far more we will reveal soon.'
The photo of the Satterfields is in this Daily Mail article. Thank you !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong