SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this @LetsSolvIt! Very interesting. We know the bodies were found 15 feet apart, and Maggie was first shot at a distance as if “running away” (not sure how they determine this) then administered a “kill shot” to the back of the head at close range while lying face down on the ground. According to the Discovery+ special, Paul’s body was found half in, half out of the kennels as if he was surprised either coming in or coming out.
The expert in this podcast seems to think that information coupled with the fact that 2 different weapons were used indicates that there were 2 shooters.
He also tactfully says that being shot at close range in the head with long range weapons as both Maggie and Paul were would essentially blow their heads off.
Early reports suggested there was evidence that the scene had been staged; he talks about his uncertainty that the murders took place where the bodies were found, but doesn’t state why he questions that,

The long gun head shots really stand out to me with the hatred and rage that would take.

Obviously that can be taken with a grain of salt.
This article was a good summary — I don’t think all the jail recordings will be available to us and this story seems to give us the high spots.

Also interesting, IMO, are the attitudes. The article says in the conversations Alec mentions numerous times “when I get out of here.”:rolleyes:

BM is a victim in having his mother and brother snatched away through murdered but IMHO seems to feel victimized by the civil cases against him, the publicity, and everyone not in his camp. MOO. I really hope he gets or is getting good counseling. His life must be a nightmare right now. MOO.

Last edited:
Thanks for this @LetsSolvIt! Very interesting. We know the bodies were found 15 feet apart, and Maggie was first shot at a distance as if “running away” (not sure how they determine this) then administered a “kill shot” to the back of the head at close range while lying face down on the ground. According to the Discovery+ special, Paul’s body was found half in, half out of the kennels as if he was surprised either coming in or coming out.
The expert in this podcast seems to think that information coupled with the fact that 2 different weapons were used indicates that there were 2 shooters.
He also tactfully says that being shot at close range in the head with long range weapons as both Maggie and Paul were would essentially blow their heads off.
Early reports suggested there was evidence that the scene had been staged; he talks about his uncertainty that the murders took place where the bodies were found, but doesn’t state why he questions that,
Wouldn’t It be great if Joe Morgan recorded another podcast on these murders now that we have more details! I enjoy is very factual, no-drama discussions.

What I think is so interesting about his podcasts is the science — what the evidence tells him, the procedures forensic scientists use, how they compare medical reports/imaging and embalming notes to what they find in their studies (in exhumation), how they might factor in comments from family or witnesses, etc. When a forensic investigation is done well, it certainly draws on many resources and experts. MOO.

And we keep waiting …

Wouldn’t It be great if Joe Morgan recorded another podcast on these murders now that we have more details! I enjoy is very factual, no-drama discussions.

What I think is so interesting about his podcasts is the science — what the evidence tells him, the procedures forensic scientists use, how they compare medical reports/imaging and embalming notes to what they find in their studies (in exhumation), how they might factor in comments from family or witnesses, etc. When a forensic investigation is done well, it certainly draws on many resources and experts. MOO.

And we keep waiting …

There’s a lot about this that I don’t think we will ever learn.

I thought they already had this information?

“Between March 2015 and June 2021, Smith, 61, allegedly cashed more than $1.8 million in checks from Murdaugh.

The checks were typically written in increments of less than $10,000 — the threshold set by the Bank Secrecy Act, which requires banks to file suspicious activity reports.

Beginning in February 2021, however, the amounts of the checks increased substantially, most times breaching the reporting threshold.

Over the years, Smith appears to have cashed hundreds of checks for Murdaugh, several times a week.

It is unclear what he did with the money after that”

There’s a lot about this that I don’t think we will ever learn.

I’ve lost interest in this case because there is enough evidence to move forward yet nothing significant is happening. They continue to drag it out because apparently that is how they operate there. It’s still a force that no one wants to go up against. This is a perfect opportunity to reveal all of the corruption across the board but it seems they are all in the foxhole.

Just a few thoughts: LE may have determined that Maggie tried to run as evidenced by the discovery of blood droplets within a short trail to her body, as well as her footprints and the spacing (longer strides when running). That would also make me think that Maggie was shot last.
Two weapons were used. It's possible that AM knew he would 'discover' the bodies (after shooting them) and would be there alone. The 'two guns may mean two shooters' theory would help exclude a lone person discovering the bodies, indicating that AM could not. Unless, of course, the second shooter ran away.

Last edited:
As far as a scene being staged: One of the first ideas that came to me was that there may have been signs of lividity in areas that aren't within the typical pattern post death. There also may have been less blood and tissue than should be in evidence. The trauma area may follow a path not possible. Only a couple I could think of.

I thought they already had this information?

“Between March 2015 and June 2021, Smith, 61, allegedly cashed more than $1.8 million in checks from Murdaugh.

The checks were typically written in increments of less than $10,000 — the threshold set by the Bank Secrecy Act, which requires banks to file suspicious activity reports.

Beginning in February 2021, however, the amounts of the checks increased substantially, most times breaching the reporting threshold.

Over the years, Smith appears to have cashed hundreds of checks for Murdaugh, several times a week.

It is unclear what he did with the money after that”
They did, but he hadn't been charged with crimes related to it.

I'm absolutely convinced that if Alex had help with the murders, this is the guy.

He trusted him with all this money, involved him in his schemes, and called him to help with the staged shooting.

He's your go to guy if you want to kill your wife and son.

Two guns likely means two shooters...

Alleged Murdaugh Co-Conspirator ‘Cousin Eddie’ Arrested On New Charges | FitsNews, 24 June 2022​

<snipped>Curtis “Eddie” Smith, 61, was arrested Friday evening and brought to the Colleton County Detention Center, where he is being held on warrants from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.

Smith is facing additional charges for financial crimes, including money laundering, according to sources close to the situation.

The charges are tied to ongoing investigations into Murdaugh’s alleged financial schemes. Murdaugh faces 83 charges, most of which are connected to the alleged theft of more than $8.4 million from clients of his former law firm.

It is not yet clear what new charges Smith, 61, faces or what he is specifically accused of doing.

Reached Friday evening, the South Carolina Attorney General’s Office declined to comment on Smith’s arrest.

SLED was not immediately available for comment. … <snipped>

Last edited:

I'm absolutely convinced that if Alex had help with the murders, this is the guy.

He trusted him with all this money, involved him in his schemes, and called him to help with the staged shooting.

Agree.

Right, why bother with more than one guy when you’ve got the one guy who does it all. Even if he talks he is still encumbered.

Perhaps the Prosecution is building a catalog of charges so that some charges will remain when "Cousin Eddie" decides to turn "States Evidence" and "Cop a Plea"? Like drop all other charges and reduce Murder 1 to Murder 2 (20 to Life) if Eddie testifies against Alex. I watch too much Law & Order.

Perhaps the Prosecution is building a catalog of charges so that some charges will remain when "Cousin Eddie" decides to turn "States Evidence" and "Cop a Plea"? Like drop all other charges and reduce Murder 1 to Murder 2 (20 to Life) if Eddie testifies against Alex. I watch too much Law & Order.

JMO, he may be the weak link in this case. Those financial transaction charges (dare we say money laundering?) may be the best way to apply some pressure. Have seen this tactic used in other cases. Sometimes it works, other times not. It depends on the accomplice or co-conspirator. The ones who don't deal tend to be those who are a little more narcissistic, powerful and have some financial resources to fight with.

Eddie seems like the type of criminal who took a lot of risks for little reward. JMO

I don’t know, they have had the claws on both AM and Smith for going on a year and apparently haven’t been able to turn confession screws on them so at this point it doesn’t look like they will. Those calls show how miserable life is for AM so how can they not get an advantage with that?

I don’t know, they have had the claws on both AM and Smith for going on a year and apparently haven’t been able to turn confession screws on them so at this point it doesn’t look like they will. Those calls show how miserable life is for AM so how can they not get an advantage with that?
Sociopaths are like that. You can't make them tell the truth, no matter what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie