SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sociopaths are like that. You can't make them tell the truth, no matter what you do.

True but LE cracks them everyday around the world but these hicks from backwoods SC are too strong? I know they probably aren’t talking but with all this leverage and evidence that FITS has reported, something just isn’t making sense.

I don’t know, they have had the claws on both AM and Smith for going on a year and apparently haven’t been able to turn confession screws on them so at this point it doesn’t look like they will. Those calls show how miserable life is for AM so how can they not get an advantage with that?
I don't see any chance that Alex admits to anything other than the lesser crimes here (fraud and all that).

He'd lose his remaining support base, and it's not like he's going to be offered anything less than life without parole in lieu of the death penalty.

He's arrogant enough to believe he could beat such a case anyway.

Cousin Eddie is a different story though, and when and if a murder indictment is handed down (assuming he is in fact involved), that's the time for a deal.

So I don't see anything until that point.

I don't see any chance that Alex admits to anything other than the lesser crimes here (fraud and all that).

He'd lose his remaining support base, and it's not like he's going to be offered anything less than life without parole in lieu of the death penalty.

He's arrogant enough to believe he could beat such a case anyway.

Cousin Eddie is a different story though, and when and if a murder indictment is handed down (assuming he is in fact involved), that's the time for a deal.

So I don't see anything until that point.

I think if Smith has been involved with the murders they would have him by now. Again, they have been investigating these money crimes for a year, in my opinion at the expense of this murders if we measure opportunity cost which I know isn’t the case, so they have to have loads of info on those 2. They can’t count up years of $ transactions by people and just be in the dark about them. I think they are right on the edge of something or so far off that this may as well have happened today. I just see how incompetent SLED has been with several cases in my county alone that they barged in and took over. One is 6 years old and hasn’t been mentioned since the elections.

The Smith bond hearing should give an indication of how strongly they suspect him of the murders. It’s just finance crimes with no violence so how strongly can they argue that he is a danger to the public? Other hand is that if they suspect him of murder then they should fight hard to keep a double murderer off the streets tho they won’t openly say it. That’s my wonder with AM, if they suspected him early then they let him stay free with guns for months.

Disgraced attorney Alex Murdaugh and accomplice Curtis Smith have been hit with new state grand jury indictments that include drug charges. South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson on Tuesday morning announced Murdaugh and Curtis Smith, 61, have been indicted on two conspiracy counts that includes a narcotics count related to oxycodone. Smith was also indicted on four counts of money maundering, three counts of forgery, trafficking methamphetamine 10-28 grams, one count of unlawful possession of a schedule II controlled substance and marijuana possession. Smith is due in Richland County court for a bond hearing Tuesday afternoon.

Read more at: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article262933208.html#storylink=cpy

Attachments

• 1DA54E0A-ABD0-46CD-8943-F83875B13D3A.jpeg
    1DA54E0A-ABD0-46CD-8943-F83875B13D3A.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 5
I've suspected all along, that Dick Harpootlian got involved, not to protect Alex, but to protect bigger fish. And I think that money laundering and bribery will be involved.

Whether or not the guilty "bigger fish" ever get indicted, remains to be seen.

I wonder if all this has has anything to do with this big veil of secrecy around the murder investigation. A lady on that recent tv doc mentioned this “getting swept under the rug” and it begs to question if there is something that has went on with LE during the investigation that they don’t want to go public yet. Much like the cops and that boat crash investigation.

I wonder if all this has has anything to do with this big veil of secrecy around the murder investigation. A lady on that recent tv doc mentioned this “getting swept under the rug” and it begs to question if there is something that has went on with LE during the investigation that they don’t want to go public yet. Much like the cops and that boat crash investigation.
I suspect it's more a case of public officials walking on eggshells because they have a hint (or more than just a hint) of where the corruption trail will lead.

I suspect it's more a case of public officials walking on eggshells because they have a hint (or more than just a hint) of where the corruption trail will lead.

The same kind of thing happens with other murder/corruption cases we follow here at WS. There often seems to be some other "ongoing investigation" that prevents LE and prosecutors from widening the scope beyond the original suspect, particularly if they're wealthy or influential.

I’m surprised that they granted bond since if he were a dangerous killer they had him cornered on the meth trafficking. He may be able to get someone to do a bond like that. Isn’t it a 10% cash thing? If he is a murderer, then he will be back in the streets of Hampton.

Just my own thoughts, but I don’t think Eddie has anything to do with Maggie and Paul’s murders, although he may know who killed them. Eddie, to me, seems to be fairly low on this crime syndicate totem pole, but he certainly knows things.

Just my own thoughts, but I don’t think Eddie has anything to do with Maggie and Paul’s murders, although he may know who killed them. Eddie, to me, seems to be fairly low on this crime syndicate totem pole, but he certainly knows things.

If he knows anything LE has the leverage with these drug charges to push him to talk. They are still in full drug war mode in SC even charging felonies for some pot crimes so they can threaten to hang him with meth charges.

Smith was arrested at his home Friday where, according to prosecutor Creighton Waters at Tuesday afternoon’s bond hearing in Richland County Court, there was “a lot of traffic” going in and out.

In addition to Smith, police arrested another individual on drug charges that night, according to Waters.

Smith stood before Judge Clifton Newman and shuffled and fidgeted for the better part of the hearing. He told Newman that he didn’t have any money.

“Alex Murdaugh got all of that,” he said, referencing the allegedly laundered cash.

Smith’s attorney, Jarrett Bouchette of The Floyd Law Firm in Surfside Beach, South Carolina, asked Newman to consider a personal recognizance bond or a low one within reach of Smith’s budget.

“He’s been cooperating for the better part of a year,” Bouchette said. “He hasn’t exhibited any evidence that he would leave the jurisdiction.”

Newman set a $250,000 surety bond for Smith with the requirement he wear an ankle monitor and submit to drug testing.

For his part, Murdaugh now faces 85 charges — most of which are related to alleged financial schemes in which he is accused of stealing more than $8.4 million from clients

In addition to a new criminal conspiracy charge, Murdaugh faces one count of manufacturing, distributing and possessing Oxycodone.

Indictment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member