SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest round of indictments spans roughly eight years, laying out money laundering, forgery, and drug operations between October of 2013 and September of 2021 between Smith, Murdaugh, and potentially others. The indictments show Murdaugh wrote 437 checks to Smith totaling more than $2 million which were cashed in small increments of less than $10,000 to avoid detection and were used for various criminal activities. Smith is accused of forging the checks on behalf of himself, his daughter, and his girlfriend while also keeping some money and using some for drugs. In court, Smith says he was unaware of what was going on.

The charges also allege Murdaugh, Smith, and potentially others were involved in an Oxycodone, Meth, and Marijuana drug operation, selling and purchasing drugs. Former South Carolina Attorney General Charlie Condon says given the scale of the allegations, he believes more developments could be coming.

“Now he is alleged to have been involved in a lot of major drug crimes with another and my expectation would be given the scale here that’s being alleged there would have to be others who would necessarily be involved with either selling these drugs or being involved with obtaining them,” says Condon. “One can only speculate where this might go.”

They claim Smith cashed 437 checks between 2013 and 2021 for Murdaugh. The amounts were written small enough that banks were not required to report them, and the checks would sometimes be made out to associates of Smith, and Smith would then forge their signatures, according to court documents.

Despite this, Smith says he wasn’t making money on this arrangement.

“All the money that he talks about, Murdaugh got all that,” Smith told the judge. “I didn’t get none of that. I don’t have any money. All I have is the disability that I live off of. I live in a modest house on a small piece of property. My automobile is 10 to 15 years old. I don’t have any access to money like that.”

Smith’s lawyer argued that is a drug case and not directly related to the September incident where he’s accused of helping Murdaugh attempt suicide to get a life insurance payout for his beneficiaries.

Smith told the court he looks forward to clearing his name. His lawyer hinted there is more evidence to come.

Combined, the charges Smith faces carry a sentence of up to 122 years behind bars.

The night of June 7, 2021, Murdaugh and Wilson were talking to each other on their cellphones at the approximate time that authorities have indicated Maggie and Paul were likely shot — between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m., according to Jim Griffin, one of Murdaugh’s attorneys along with state Sen. Dick Harpootlian, D-Richland.

Bringing forward.

This bothers me as far as the murders go.

Haven’t read yet that he was on the phone with CS on the evening of the murders.

Jmo

"The charges also allege Murdaugh, Smith, and potentially others were involved in an Oxycodone, Meth, and Marijuana drug operation, selling and purchasing drugs. Former South Carolina Attorney General Charlie Condon says given the scale of the allegations, he believes more developments could be coming...“Now he is alleged to have been involved in a lot of major drug crimes with another and my expectation would be given the scale here that’s being alleged there would have to be others who would necessarily be involved with either selling these drugs or being involved with obtaining them,” says Condon. “One can only speculate where this might go.”"

This. This is my "why" for the murders.

"The charges also allege Murdaugh, Smith, and potentially others were involved in an Oxycodone, Meth, and Marijuana drug operation, selling and purchasing drugs. Former South Carolina Attorney General Charlie Condon says given the scale of the allegations, he believes more developments could be coming...“Now he is alleged to have been involved in a lot of major drug crimes with another and my expectation would be given the scale here that’s being alleged there would have to be others who would necessarily be involved with either selling these drugs or being involved with obtaining them,” says Condon. “One can only speculate where this might go.”"

This. This is my "why" for the murders.

I hope it’s a “why” for the murders or the state is just pouring resources in a big drug case, at the expense of the almost 4000 (and counting) unsolved murders that are currently on the books.

Eddie's Bond hearing 6/28- connected to Grand Jury indictment 6/22

Some Notes:
-Dr affidavit was mentioned (Atty read part of it from his phone, no copy given to Judge) regarding ES back injury and treatment he needs, which ES atty stated is "ongoing pain management"
-(10:20) prosecutor mentions the drug charges that have been imposed on over10 grams (is that all that was found or is that the statutory cut off?) found in ES house and "outbuildings"
- (10:59) over 437 checks from AM to ES
-(11:55) ES distributed a large amount of pills to AM
-March-June 2021 and thereafter there is an "extreme acceleration" in money laundering per prosecutor and AM and ES no longer are doing the under 10K amounts
- apparently forgery of "a family member" is involved (13:35) also referred to as "a person close to him" (close to ES )
- (14:28) "Historical distribution conspiracy" of oxycodone from 10/7 2013 to September 7/ 2021- when AM went to rehab? Here's the timeline https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article255380106.html)
- (17:50) ES Defense atty- he isn't court appointed but....(hmmm who is paying him??) he would qualify as indigent under the Indigent Defense Program
-ES is asked by the judge if he has anything to add: (20:41) ES states he doesn't have money, on disability, old car/truck
-(22:05) Note how ES mentions the "shop" in the back and how he doesn't know who was there (when ES was arrested) and what they were doing back there...and then ES attorney placed his hand on his back to hush him.
(24:58) ES- "I got pulled into it, not by choice"

Last edited:
Bringing forward.

This bothers me as far as the murders go.

Haven’t read yet that he was on the phone with CS on the evening of the murders.

Jmo
I guess LE will check this out with phone records, GPS, etc., but it just doesn’t ring true with me.

Like someone said up thread, there are ways to make it look like you were on a call, when you were really somewhere else.

But this feels sketchy. Four phone calls in one hour? Unless he was discussing the murders and asking for CW’s counsel?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Eddie's Bond hearing 6/28- connected to Grand Jury indictment 6/22
<snipped video link>

Some Notes: <snipped>
(17:50) ES Defense atty- he isn't court appointed but....(hmmm who is paying him??) [BBM]he would qualify as indigent under the Indigent Defense Program <snipped>
BBM: yes, this choice of defense attorney is curious — he’s from California. How would CES get hooked up with a lawyer from all the way across the country? Just say’n.

In reference to Wilson and AM on the phone.
This from june 6

However, several months later in an exclusive interview with Fox Carolina’s Cody Alcorn, Griffin went on the record for the first time about where Alex was on June 7, 2021.

“I can assure you that we have Alex’s whereabouts accounted for completely at that time,” Murdaugh’s attorney Jim Griffin told Fox Carolina in October 2021. “That night? He’s sitting on the bedside of his mother at her house when the coroner says the murders happened. She has dementia. There’s a house sitter, caregiver … with him and they’re watching a gameshow on television.”

During that interview, Griffin mentioned that Alex spoke to “one of his friends and communicated about business” on the way over to his mother’s home, which is about 20 minutes from Moselle. Griffin also said that Alex called his father who was in the hospital during that time period as well.

Griffin didn’t identify the “friend” to whom Alex spoke — and he didn’t go into any further details about Alex’s alibi publicly for more than six months.

After several months of near silence from the Murdaugh camp, Griffin spoke out about Alex Murdaugh’s alibi again in the State Newspaper this May.

Griffin identified Chris Wilson as the “friend” Alex had spoken with that night — and said that Wilson would likely testify on Alex’s behalf. Griffin intimated that Wilson had said Alex’s tone was “absolutely normal” when they spoke.

For the first time, Griffin seemed to be putting on the public record that Alex was at Moselle at 9 p.m. … which means Alex would have seen Maggie and Paul shortly before they were killed.

Griffin also said that Alex drove to his mother’s house at 9 p.m., got to her house at 9:20 p.m., stayed for 20 minutes and then turned around and drove back to arrive at Moselle at 10 p.m.

During that time, Griffin said, Alex called Chris Wilson four times — twice on the way there and twice on the way back.
….

I missed this article.

I find it odd that AM would drive 20 minutes to get there and 20 minutes back yet only spend 20 minutes there. Why didn’t he just stop on the way back from hospital.

Jmo

I wonder how often the suspect "watched gameshows" with his mother's caregiver. Didn't he need a random shower at some point during the day and for what reason? Seems like the alibi is a key piece in the murder puzzle, has the press fleshed this part of the story out?

In reference to Wilson and AM on the phone.
This from june 6

However, several months later in an exclusive interview with Fox Carolina’s Cody Alcorn, Griffin went on the record for the first time about where Alex was on June 7, 2021.

“I can assure you that we have Alex’s whereabouts accounted for completely at that time,” Murdaugh’s attorney Jim Griffin told Fox Carolina in October 2021. “That night? He’s sitting on the bedside of his mother at her house when the coroner says the murders happened. She has dementia. There’s a house sitter, caregiver … with him and they’re watching a gameshow on television.”

During that interview, Griffin mentioned that Alex spoke to “one of his friends and communicated about business” on the way over to his mother’s home, which is about 20 minutes from Moselle. Griffin also said that Alex called his father who was in the hospital during that time period as well.

Griffin didn’t identify the “friend” to whom Alex spoke — and he didn’t go into any further details about Alex’s alibi publicly for more than six months.

After several months of near silence from the Murdaugh camp, Griffin spoke out about Alex Murdaugh’s alibi again in the State Newspaper this May.

Griffin identified Chris Wilson as the “friend” Alex had spoken with that night — and said that Wilson would likely testify on Alex’s behalf. Griffin intimated that Wilson had said Alex’s tone was “absolutely normal” when they spoke.

For the first time, Griffin seemed to be putting on the public record that Alex was at Moselle at 9 p.m. … which means Alex would have seen Maggie and Paul shortly before they were killed.

Griffin also said that Alex drove to his mother’s house at 9 p.m., got to her house at 9:20 p.m., stayed for 20 minutes and then turned around and drove back to arrive at Moselle at 10 p.m.

During that time, Griffin said, Alex called Chris Wilson four times — twice on the way there and twice on the way back.
….

I missed this article.

I find it odd that AM would drive 20 minutes to get there and 20 minutes back yet only spend 20 minutes there. Why didn’t he just stop on the way back from hospital.

Jmo
It seems to me that the caregiver gives him an airtight alibi, so how come LE isn't saying so?
Is the caregiver scared or can't risk losing their job or has been paid off? This makes no sense. MOO MOO MOO

It seems to me that the caregiver gives him an airtight alibi, so how come LE isn't saying so?
Is the caregiver scared or can't risk losing their job or has been paid off? This makes no sense. MOO MOO MOO
Well, look what happened to the 'caregiver' for his own family- Gloria Satterfield.

BBM: yes, this choice of defense attorney is curious — he’s from California. How would CES get hooked up with a lawyer from all the way across the country? Just say’n.
ES attorney is Jarrett Bouchette, correct? He is from SC. https://www.linkedin.com/in/jarrett-bouchette-esq-9b469a88/

"Smith’s attorney, Jarrett Bouchette of The Floyd Law Firm in Surfside Beach, South Carolina, asked Newman to consider a personal recognizance bond or a low one within reach of Smith’s budget."

Where was the carryout used by Paul to buy booze the night of the boat crash? Was it local to Murdaugh area?

March 2019: The Beach family files a wrongful death lawsuit against a Beaufort County bar, convenience store and two homeowners all of whom, the suit claims, served Beach and her underage friends alcohol the night of the crash. The lawsuit was later amended to only name Richard Alexander "Alex" Murdaugh Sr., Richard Alexander "Buster" Murdaugh Jr., and Parker's convenience store.

Parker's Convenience Store does not appear to be a mom and pop store.
Several locations in Beaufort County and nice looking buildings.
Usually these chain outfits are strict on carding sales of alcohol.
Mom and Pop not so much. Buster must not be too smart. Loaning your DL to an out of control
brother does not sound like the thing an aspiring Lawyer would do.
I was just wondering about details in the case.

I again watched the 3-part ID series about the family and case. Definitely a complicated family with layers of deception. Once the walls started crumbling they fell hard. The more the onion is peeled; more might be reveled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member