SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Murdaugh Murders Podcast episode #48, Paul did take a video that caught both of his parents talking, but it was not clarified if they were in the foreground or the background. Transcribed below by me.
As you and I both know asking for a forensic audit of one's personal and martial finances is often the first step in a divorce. Often done to ascertain just what assets the couple have and especially if those assets were purchased before marriage and if they were purchased with money inherited or gifted exclusively to one party of the marriage by relatives or other people. I don't know what state you are in but I know it is that way in Oklahoma.

In view of the fact that MM's father worked for DuPont for many years as an executive I would say he had a very high income and as Fits reported that MM's sister was better off financially than MM was, I, and this is theory only coming from 40 years of experience in estate planning, would say dad gave both his daughters money to lessen his tax liability when he retired. I believe some of that money bought Moselle.

JMO speculation only.

I believe Paul was taking a video of the injured dog that was discussed early in the investigation. It was also discussed that Maggie talked to a vet friend of hers that night about the dog. The owner of the dog (a friend of Paul's I think) came right after the murders to retrieve it and was seen in photos and discussed. While they did not open Paul's phone for a while, I think when the dog owner came, he showed them the video Paul had recorded earlier that night. It established what time all 3 were at the kennels. (I also think Paul was taping the dog and ignoring his parents but their voices were caught on the recording. Not convinced it was anything but a normal conversation.) So let's just say the recorded video ended at 8:45 and Alex "discovers" them and calls 911 just after 10 pm. That is how they got the 9-9:30 TOD window. Why they did not arrest Alex on the spot I believe is directly attributed to Duffy Stone's interference to cover the tracks of anyone in his circle that may be involved. This is all speculation and my opinion. I actually know nothing. LOL

I believe Paul was taking a video of the injured dog that was discussed early in the investigation. It was also discussed that Maggie talked to a vet friend of hers that night about the dog. The owner of the dog (a friend of Paul's I think) came right after the murders to retrieve it and was seen in photos and discussed. While they did not open Paul's phone for a while, I think when the dog owner came, he showed them the video Paul had recorded earlier that night. It established what time all 3 were at the kennels. (I also think Paul was taping the dog and ignoring his parents but their voices were caught on the recording. Not convinced it was anything but a normal conversation.) So let's just say the recorded video ended at 8:45 and Alex "discovers" them and calls 911 just after 10 pm. That is how they got the 9-9:30 TOD window. Why they did not arrest Alex on the spot I believe is directly attributed to Duffy Stone's interference to cover the tracks of anyone in his circle that may be involved. This is all speculation and my opinion. I actually know nothing. LOL
I think yours is a very reasonable explanation.

JMO

This is correct.

I appreciate everyone keeping this very tangled case up-to-date. I really don't have many comments to add, because it seems like I have all the same questions and suspicions.

I can't even begin to imagine what will come out next.

Ahhh a fellow CPA. We are a dying breed since online filing by people doing their own taxes. lol

Yes I was pretty certain Fits said a video of MM and PM having a conversation by the kennels that night before he supposedly left for Varnville. I took that to mean a recording. Strange that PM would record his parents conversation unless as I stated that MM asked him to record it as evidence in what has been rumored divorce proceedings. JG claims there was no visit to an attorney by MM but I have a feeling that SLED has the attorneys name and what she discussed along with said attorneys recommendations to her on how to proceed and that attorney's name if in fact she consulted with one.

Thank you so much for helping me out.

JMO
Any time! It’s wonderful to run into another CPA here on Websleuths! I feel as though people who choose the CPA career path tend to have natural “sleuthing” tendencies. :D

I agree that the video is likely a recording rather than a still shot. I have an inkling that, as mentioned above, the video was focused on something else and it was purely coincidence that Paul caught his parents on camera having a discussion. Too bad he hadn’t left the camera rolling, so to speak.

As you and I both know asking for a forensic audit of one's personal and martial finances is often the first step in a divorce. Often done to ascertain just what assets the couple have and especially if those assets were purchased before marriage and if they were purchased with money inherited or gifted exclusively to one party of the marriage by relatives or other people. I don't know what state you are in but I know it is that way in Oklahoma.

In view of the fact that MM's father worked for DuPont for many years as an executive I would say he had a very high income and as Fits reported that MM's sister was better off financially than MM was, I, and this is theory only coming from 40 years of experience in estate planning, would say dad gave both his daughters money to lessen his tax liability when he retired. I believe some of that money bought Moselle.

JMO speculation only.
Agreed. I work in Kansas, and I believe that it is very similar here. Requesting a forensic audit of one’s personal finances is definitely a red flag from a relationship standpoint, especially if it is not part of pre-nups or upon the death of a spouse.

I am looking forward to the trial and hoping to read any forensic accountants’ reports!

Thank you all for clarifying the evidence of Paul filming his parents that night. So much information. It's difficult to refute a video. (It really sounds like they have solid evidence, if only they would lay the murder charges now!)

This is why it is taking so long to make an arrest. They are not looking at evidence to prove Alex's guilt. They have plenty. They are covering up and tying up loose ends for all of his cronies, politicians, judges, etc. before filing charges. They KNOW once charges are filed, Mandy and every single one of us will dig through anyone else that they choose to throw under the bus. They cannot save everyone. Like Carmen Mullins. JMO.

Thank you all for clarifying the evidence of Paul filming his parents that night. So much information. It's difficult to refute a video. (It really sounds like they have solid evidence, if only they would lay the murder charges now!)
Fits has been teasing that next week is going to be big on the news front, and he previously said that murder charges are imminent.

I don't think we're going to be waiting much longer...

Has Dick Harpootlian spoken lately.?
So, there isn’t anything directly case-related, but I did find this.

Firing squad executions get green light in SC

During South Carolina’s lengthy debate, Democratic state Sen. Dick Harpootlian – a prosecutor-turned-criminal-defense lawyer – introduced the firing squad option. He argued that it presented “the least painful” execution method available.

“The death penalty is going to stay the law here for a while,” Harpootlian said. “If we’re going to have it, it ought to be humane.”

Something to keep in mind in case he happens to represent the murderer of MM and PM. ;)

In the months before and after June 2021 when Alex Murdaugh’s wife and son were shot to death, the then-Hampton attorney and now-accused embezzler was beset by escalating money problems and threats of exposure. On the surface, the then-52-year-old lawyer looked prosperous. He lived on a 1,772-acre homestead called Moselle in Colleton County valued at $3.9 million. He vacationed at a four-bedroom house near the waterfront at Edisto Beach valued at $920,000. He bought his kids a 17-foot motorboat, and he had a share in the Green Swamp Hunting Club worth $250,000. His wife, Maggie, drove a 2021 Mercedes valued at $85,000.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article262299067.html#storylink=cpy

In the months before and after June 2021 when Alex Murdaugh’s wife and son were shot to death, the then-Hampton attorney and now-accused embezzler was beset by escalating money problems and threats of exposure. On the surface, the then-52-year-old lawyer looked prosperous. He lived on a 1,772-acre homestead called Moselle in Colleton County valued at $3.9 million. He vacationed at a four-bedroom house near the waterfront at Edisto Beach valued at $920,000. He bought his kids a 17-foot motorboat, and he had a share in the Green Swamp Hunting Club worth $250,000. His wife, Maggie, drove a 2021 Mercedes valued at $85,000.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article262299067.html#storylink=cpy
REALLY good article- and it sways me to thinking the Beach's lawsuit hearing was the triggering event- and perhaps NOT Maggie initiating a forensic audit for divorce purposes (which has been my long-term belief).

REALLY good article- and it sways me to thinking the Beach's lawsuit hearing was the triggering event- and perhaps NOT Maggie initiating a forensic audit for divorce purposes (which has been my long-term belief).

Yes
I said here months ago thank goodness for Renee Beach.

I can’t imagine how many others he would have stolen from.

Jmo

For those somewhat familiar with what Paul M recorded on his phone the evening he and his Mom were murdered. Any thoughts on why he began recording in the first place? Do you think he suspected what was coming?
My speculation.
I’m not familiar with the details of the recording, but what I imagine based upon the injured or unwell dog information is that Paul was inside the kennel videoing the dog and narrating what he saw for the purpose of sending video to the owner of the dog to document the dogs health or condition.
I imagine Paul coincidently recorded/picked up MM and AM speaking in the background.
Paul may have been out of sight and AM may have been surprised when Paul exited the kennel, not expecting him to be there.
I wonder if AM and MM were arguing or just talking, or if Paul had any idea of trouble.
Again, just my theory.

For those somewhat familiar with what Paul M recorded on his phone the evening he and his Mom were murdered. Any thoughts on why he began recording in the first place? Do you think he suspected what was coming?
This should have read, "Paul" and not "Paul M". Sorry, can't edit.

My speculation.
I’m not familiar with the details of the recording, but what I imagine based upon the injured or unwell dog information is that Paul was inside the kennel videoing the dog and narrating what he saw for the purpose of sending video to the owner of the dog to document the dogs health or condition.
I imagine Paul coincidently recorded/picked up MM and AM speaking in the background.
Paul may have been out of sight and AM may have been surprised when Paul exited the kennel, not expecting him to be there.
I wonder if AM and MM were arguing or just talking, or if Paul had any idea of trouble.
Again, just my theory.
That seems highly plausible. Thank you for sharing.

My speculation.
Again, just my theory.
Yes. FITS reported the video was inconsequential (it didn’t record an argument or anything related to the murders), but rather showed that Paul, Maggie, and Alex were all together at the kennels before the murders. This is important because Alex had claimed to not have seen Paul or Maggie at Moselle after returning from the hospital. He claimed to have taken a nap and then left to visit his mother in Varnville. This video shows that was a lie.
As for what Paul recorded, it’s believed he took video of a friend’s injured dog that was in the kennel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.