SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reported on evening news that the Mudaughs refused to comply with the Stephen Smith investigation.

And this:
Murdaugh double murders: Former SC trooper speaks out about suspicions in 2015 cold case linked to family

‘But Proctor. who worked for the state's highway patrol for more than 15 years, told Fox News exclusively that he always felt the case looked more like a murder than a hit-and-run death, and added: "Nothing about this case from the very beginning pointed towards it being a hit and run."

"As any investigator, you go off of the evidence – there was no evidence that pointed towards this being a hit and run, or a vehicle even being involved in it," he said. "It looked like it was more staged. Like possibly the body had been placed in the roadway."

SLED has not yet contacted him, he said.

Proctor described how when a pedestrian is struck, the momentum from the collision typically "causes them to tumble down the road," with their clothes and shoes being thrown from their bodies or torn in the process.

"We had no evidence to show there was any movement of the body," Proctor told Fox News. Instead, "it looked like it was placed there.

Smith’s phone, wallet and keys were "hanging halfway out of his pocket," Proctor recalled.

He added: "It just didn’t fit the description that this individual was hit by a vehicle."

Investigators initially thought Smith might have been shot, which an autopsy examination later ruled out, Proctor said.

snip

Sandy Smith told The Augusta (Georgia) Chronicle in 2015 that there was no broken glass or plastic shards from a mirror on the road where her son’s body was found. Proctor concurred, telling Fox News there was "no evidence left" – no vehicle parts, no glass.

"The way his body was laying in the road, with his arm dislocated and bent back behind his body, I just don’t believe that he was struck by the mirror of a vehicle," Sandy Smith told the newspaper.

Just reported on evening news that the Mudaughs refused to comply with the Stephen Smith investigation.

And this:
Murdaugh double murders: Former SC trooper speaks out about suspicions in 2015 cold case linked to family

This trooper is correct. When I was young, I lived close enough that several of us walked to school. One morning as we went, it was crazy foggy around 7 am and another kids dad was driving him to school when one of our gang was hit by his large rear view mirror on a pickup. I had never seen such but this guy flew like Superman. With luck, he was thrown into a grass area beside the road and recovered at the hospital. The man wasn’t really going fast as we were in a neighborhood but the force was powerful

‘But Proctor. who worked for the state's highway patrol for more than 15 years, told Fox News exclusively that he always felt the case looked more like a murder than a hit-and-run death, and added: "Nothing about this case from the very beginning pointed towards it being a hit and run."

"As any investigator, you go off of the evidence – there was no evidence that pointed towards this being a hit and run, or a vehicle even being involved in it," he said. "It looked like it was more staged. Like possibly the body had been placed in the roadway."

SLED has not yet contacted him, he said.

Proctor described how when a pedestrian is struck, the momentum from the collision typically "causes them to tumble down the road," with their clothes and shoes being thrown from their bodies or torn in the process.

"We had no evidence to show there was any movement of the body," Proctor told Fox News. Instead, "it looked like it was placed there.

Smith’s phone, wallet and keys were "hanging halfway out of his pocket," Proctor recalled.

He added: "It just didn’t fit the description that this individual was hit by a vehicle."

Investigators initially thought Smith might have been shot, which an autopsy examination later ruled out, Proctor said.

snip

Sandy Smith told The Augusta (Georgia) Chronicle in 2015 that there was no broken glass or plastic shards from a mirror on the road where her son’s body was found. Proctor concurred, telling Fox News there was "no evidence left" – no vehicle parts, no glass.

"The way his body was laying in the road, with his arm dislocated and bent back behind his body, I just don’t believe that he was struck by the mirror of a vehicle," Sandy Smith told the newspaper.

Which makes the statement of “we have no known enemies” less credible.

I am no defense atty for the Murdaugh family. I’m just trying to take my personal animosity and emotions out of the situation and look at what we really factually know. My suspicions…which aren’t facts…are very similar to what yours are.

Unfortunately, the coroner in the Smith case ruled that it was an accident. So there is, at present, an official dispute to the charge of murder. That’s what stands at the moment.

I’m thrilled that the case is reopened and that there is a grand jury investigating obstruction. But, for the moment, the coroner’s ruling stands…so legally, it cannot be called murder.

And, I agree, PM was reportedly recklessly driving the boat. Testimony about his behavior is appalling. Did he call his Dad before they called for help…not proven.

My post was just to point out what we can fairly say we KNOW…from the small amount of factual information we have. Like you, I have read reams of rumors and I grit my teeth and sit on my hands. We can’t discuss that here because WS requires a higher standard.

So we wait….
The coroner said Smith was hit by a mirror on a semitruck. Someone postd elsewhere that he would have to be 8 ft. tall. Is this right? Was it a semi or a regular truck?

This trooper is correct. When I was young, I lived close enough that several of us walked to school. One morning as we went, it was crazy foggy around 7 am and another kids dad was driving him to school when one of our gang was hit by his large rear view mirror on a pickup. I had never seen such but this guy flew like Superman. With luck, he was thrown into a grass area beside the road and recovered at the hospital. The man wasn’t really going fast as we were in a neighborhood but the force was powerful
I believe they said this truck was a semi. Those are huge if this is true that it was a semi. Also, his body would have been thrown I presume like the guy you mentioned.

The coroner said Smith was hit by a mirror on a semitruck. Someone postd elsewhere that he would have to be 8 ft. tall. Is this right? Was it a semi or a regular truck?
IMO, the coroners verdict made no sense. There wasn’t even glass or debris at the sight…which there should have been if he hit this mirror with the force necessary to cause the horrific damage to his skull. My opinion only…

It's amazing reading details of Smith's death and knowing is was called an accident.Something really stinks about that.It wouldn't even have been reopened without these murders so I have zero faith we see any justice for his case.

It's amazing reading details of Smith's death and knowing is was called an accident.Something really stinks about that.It wouldn't even have been reopened without these murders so I have zero faith we see any justice for his case.

You have to wonder if the statement of “no enemies” is a decoy? If they haven’t done anything wrong why would there be concern for enemies…

IMO, the coroners verdict made no sense. There wasn’t even glass or debris at the sight…which there should have been if he hit this mirror with the force necessary to cause the horrific damage to his skull. My opinion only…

Agreed. I read his injuries and figured he could have actually been run over and maybe weight and tires could have done that. But yes, usually collisions produce debris.

I don’t see how SS was hit with a vehicle and ended up in the MIDDLE of the road with no evidence of a crash. If a semi hit him head on, his body would have had more damage and if he was hit with a side mirror, the vehicle would have (at minimum) run tires off the road, which there was no evidence of. Definitely not that COD, IMO

They must not have had cameras in all areas because why would they be questioning Steven Smith's mother about her son's aquaintances. They are still looking and obviously did not see much on cameras. Maybe they were just placed around the lodge but not way out by the kennels?
I would think recent speculation in the press and social media re a potential cover-up in S Smith’s death would be reason enough to reopen an investigation. It may not be related to the Murdough murders at all.

Either way I’m glad they’re looking into Smith’s death. The “hit and run” conclusion was hinky at best.

Well that could explain pretty much everything. I had no idea. It certainly does broaden the suspect pool though. Imagine owning a small business in the west coast that makes fishing lures or something and someone has an accident that they decide to sure you for in South Carolina.

You basically are forced to settle just because of the prohibitive expense of traveling and making a case.

I think you have a very good analysis that mirrors a newspaper article.

Targeted companies were complaining that the ohh sooo special rule coupled with the firm's influence in the county created a "machine" that put them at serious disadvantages. As you noted, this then led to settlements several times higher than the norm.

I also like your point about the possibility of small companies being targeted.

Though the firm liked to present themselves as sort of a "Robin Hood" to the gullible, a reporter found 70 local defendants being targeted by the firm when he reviewed pending court dockets (to say nothing of past cases).

Thus, as you pointed out, there is a real possibility of small companies or individuals being targeted via:

"Make a fishing lure in your garage in Utah?- somebody there says it landed in their arm causing ohh so terrible nerve damage! Gonna get sued in SC if that lure is sold at the local bait shop......"

Then mix in: "Oh, by the way, our law suit machine includes firm friendly local judges and juries." "We now want 3 times X for the settlement".

Last edited:

Correction…it was the pathologist not the coroner who made the determination.

“An investigator who attempted to dig into the autopsy report indicated in notes that he got into a heated discussion with the pathologist who performed Smith’s autopsy.

ADVERTISEMENT

The doctor said it was a hit and run based on his body being found in the middle of the road, the notes state.

“She had no evidence other than that for the statement being put in the report,” the investigator wrote.

The investigator asked the pathologist if someone with a baseball bat could have caused the injury and she said no, the notes state.

But when he asked if Smith could have suffered the head wound from being struck by a bat or other object held by someone in a moving vehicle, the pathologist answered, “Well, I guess it’s possible” and asked if a bat had been found as evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

The investigator notes that as he was leaving, the pathologist told him the report was “preliminary” and it was his job to figure out what struck Smith, not hers.

The investigator went on to say he discussed the autopsy report with the coroner on Aug. 18, 2015, and said the coroner stated he did not agree with the pathologist’s suggestion that Smith was struck by a motor vehicle.

The notes state the report listed the cause of death as “blunt head trauma, motor vehicle crash, pedestrian v. vehicle” but that the manner of death was “undetermined.”

“I would think that the blunt force head trauma would be the cause of death and the motor vehicle crash would be the manner the trauma was delivered to cause the death,” the investigator wrote. “The pathologist also states in the report, that in light of historical information along with the autopsy, these conclusions were made. To what historical information she possessed, I am unaware.”

Is Stephen Smith was not cremated, I hope his body is exhumed. A new autopsy is done out of any local counties or counties anyone has business or contact with.
I fear though SS body could have been removed and hidden. I sure hope not….jmoo.

All local LE should stay away from the new investigation….I would rather see the FBI take over. Something smells real fishy and I hope the new LE can get to the bottom of the murders and possible cover ups.

Thank you scmom for the link to the news article on the reopening of the 2015 case. Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23