SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stmarysmead

stmarysmead Well-Known Member

The void of information on the murders is certainly being filled by the media in other…ways.

2. Elley Mae

Elley Mae Well-Known Member

After all I have read about what happened before the boat crash I can believe AC saying that.

MajorHoople, Alcina, BOSCOE and 11 others like this.
  3. StarryStarryNight

StarryStarryNight Well-Known Member

This explains SC laws on Boating Under the Influence

South Carolina BUI Laws: Consequences, Offenses, Jail Time

A highlights:

“When you are operating a boat, you are presumed to have given your implied consent to agree to taking a blood or breath test if ever arrested for BUI. Many people do not realize this when they are operating a boat. If you refuse a blood or breath test for a BUI, there will be consequences.”

The only real consequence I could find to refusing a blood or breath test for alcohol was it can be used against you in court. The prosecutor can argue your refusal is an admission that you were drunk.

4. moonriverfarm

moonriverfarm Well-Known Member

The lack of shared info is....speaking volumes.

5. Sustained

Sustained Justice for Stacy

Shared info by whom ? LE ?

There are two investigations going on, both it appears with quite a few angles and tangents. I don't expect LE to release anything that might compromise any investigation.

6. Colorado303

Colorado303 Verified Insider Watts Case

Is it normal to let cases and motions stack up for a month before assigning them a Judge and a court date? Or is that a SC thing? Or a county thing? I’ve never heard of doing things that way, but that doesn’t mean it’s not common.

Warwick7, WinnieBee, dcfi224 and 9 others like this.
  7. Sustained

I would expect there's been quite a backlog due to Covid and they are still behind schedule.

Camille, kimpage, Hotmud62 and 13 others like this.
  8. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

I am thinking to support a conspiracy claim, they will need to show either illegal actions by the police or blatantly unethical conduct by the police. These elements can be very hard to show.

The police being friendly and responsive to defense attorneys will probably not support a conspiracy accusation. For example:

- Ohh so timely arriving defense attorneys can ask the police a large variety of factual questions about an investigation. It is neither illegal, nor unethical per se for the police to provide truthful answers very quickly and very completely.

- High end attorneys can use the answers to challenge the legality of police procedures, and whether all the steps are being strictly adhered to. It is not illegal nor unethical per se for the police to stop and consider well presented challenges.

- Attorneys can present plausible alternative theories regarding responsibility- and uhmm.... "encourage" that they be explored- immediately. The police immediately exploring such theories is not illegal, nor unethical per se.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  9. zencompass

zencompass Hope springs eternal

Thanks @Sustained!

Great thought and makes sense!

They could be months behind and catching up. I imagine some smaller areas like this could have tremendous backlogs compared to large cities.

10. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

11. Colorado303

To my knowledge no one has said AM has an “ironclad alibi” other than his brothers. Until someone in LE confirms or disputes the alibi we can surmise one of these three things is true:

1) AM has an ironclad alibi
    2) Based solely on what AM told them, his brothers honestly believe he has an ironclad alibi
    3) The brothers hope AM has an alibi, but don’t know exactly where he was, when.

There have been unsubstantiated reports he was shooting, at the hospital, at his mother’s,etc. But when it comes down down to it we know nothing about where he was at the time of the murder, where he told LE he was or what LE has learned regarding his whereabouts.

When it comes to AM, we know nothing.

12. stmarysmead

Amen and great post.

Luna20, BOSCOE, Sassygal87 and 6 others like this.
  13. Sustained

BBM

But LE does - most likely ...
    1. AM was tested for gunshot residue after the murders
    2. AM's phone was examined for suspicious calls/texts and where it was located throughout the day
    3. Cameras were checked at the hospital where RM3 was taken by AM
    4. AM's mother was interviewed to confirm he went back to her house
    5. AM's vehicle was searched for weapons matching the crime scene
    I'm sure there are even more than I've listed.

14. Colorado303

And it may have been. But why file now, when the boating lawsuit may just fade away? Why now, when LE is searching for anyone who may have a motive for killing PM?

If CC wasn’t included in the list of suspects he will be now. IMO it seems like stupid timing unless his lawyers think they’ll try to pin the murders on CC too. I sincerely doubt he had anything to do with the murders and hope he has an “ironclad alibi”.

Warwick7, misgrn, Kittybunny and 9 others like this.
  15. Elley Mae

I agree, if it was done proper, but if it was done like the boat accident or SS case then I’m not so sure.

16. stmarysmead

June 7, 2021: Alex Murdaugh discovers the bodies of his son Paul and wife Maggie at their property on Moselle Road in Islandton, Colleton County. A 911 call is placed at 10:07 p.m.

The Colleton County Sheriff's Office responds and secures the scene. South Carolina's State Law Enforcement Division is contacted at 10:28 p.m. to assist. SLED agents arrive at 11:47 p.m.

Murdaugh Murder Mystery: Timeline of events surrounding 4 South Carolina deaths

The local sheriffs department and the two brothers were on the scene for well over an hour before SLED arrived.

Was AM still there when they arrived? Who knows?

If AM and RM could prevent witness statements and sobriety tests in the boating investigation…can we really be sure that AM was not afforded the same protections to avoid a statement and testing…by the presence of his attorney-brother?

I hope so…but I honestly don’t know what to trust in anymore.

Opinion only…

Warwick7, misgrn, Hotmud62 and 16 others like this.
  17. Colorado303

Yes! Add to your list traffic cams, business security videos, residential security cams and ring cams that captured stretches of road where AM says he was. And wasn’t.

18. stmarysmead

This is purely conjecture…nothing more…but as an attorney working in that system, it may appear to him that the Murdaughs are wounded now. That people who kept silent out of fear will now speak up.

He may feel that the truth has been stonewalled but now…so much is coming out…that there’s a much better chance of prevailing than ever before.

Even the SS case is open again.

That attorney may feel that there has been a sea change locally regarding the supposed ‘power’ of the M family. Also, with all the media attention, others who once might have bern staunch allies of the Ms, May now feel that their actions are also being scrutinized.

But I’m just guessing…who knows?

19. Elley Mae

20. Elley Mae

I also wonder if MM was (shot) killed first, from a distance.

Diddian, Flicka1, sunshineray and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.