SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #3

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

Circuit Judge Bentley Price asked SLED and the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office to justify the extensive redactions they applied to their public reports on the killings, which were only released after The Post and Courier filed a lawsuit. At a July 14 hearing on the blacked-out information, Edward Fenno, an attorney for the newspaper, argued that the agencies had been “unlawfully heavy-handed” in their approach...
    In a brief to the court, Fenno countered that the law doesn’t let police withhold information based on hypothetical concerns. Police have to prove that disclosing information “ ‘would’ interfere” with their work or “ ‘would’ cause similar problems,” he wrote.
    “The FOIA statute does not say ‘might’; it says ‘would,’ ” Fenno wrote.

At the July 14 hearing, Price said he would review the redactions and order the agencies to release more information if he concluded they had overstepped.

The agencies had previously resisted releasing even the heavily redacted version of their reports. SLED made them public only days after The Post and Courier sued the agencies for allegedly violating the state’s Freedom of Information Act.

SLED says it's still too early to release details on Murdaugh case, weeks after killings

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021

2. T rex

T rex Member

I agree. You don't just let people rule themselves out. If we did that then nobody would ever be guilty of anything.

3. DAMages

DAMages Well-Known Member

But this article doesn't identify her as a property manager, or say she has recently been fired. Is there MSM to support this information?

4. Elley Mae

Elley Mae Well-Known Member

She’s a resident and has known the M’s for years, she was/is saying that the M’s have been recently living at moselle and not the beach home.

5. Elley Mae

This judge sees straight through this, heavy handed authorities in these shenanigans.

6. Elley Mae

I hate to think that some folks are not releasing pertinent info in id’ing someone looking for them themselves.

Jmo

Many moons ago my aunt was working a produce stand, raped and beat to a pulp. She survived. I had a few uncles that locked & loaded looking for that vehicle, never found.

7. Watts Bar

Watts Bar Well-Known Member

Just thinking… They are hunting dogs. In the fall, they will need to run long distances and do their “job”. Some people who own hunting dogs (our family did when I was growing up) exercise their dogs during the summer once the sun goes down. This keeps them in shape for fall without overheating heating them. And if RM was telling the truth, he was also out with his dogs around the same time. He never said he was feeding them, he said he was out with them.
    Just thoughts and MOO.

8. stmarysmead

stmarysmead Well-Known Member

Good point…and very helpful since you actually have had the experience. Thank you!

9. T rex

T rex Member

It's a real possibility that something could have been left to indicate why this had been done but if so it's also possible that it was intended to mislead, a red herring.

10. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

Good point. The caretaker / manager could have resided at the Moselle property, but been responsible for Moselle and several others.

Thus, more of a justification for a full time manager. Then factor in that as they are wealthy, the luxury of a full time manager does not need to make financial sense.

11. Watts Bar

Watts Bar Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will also add that my hunch, from being raised in “the sticks”, is that the entrance by the kennels and the farm equipment storage was the entrance the family used. In the pictures their mailbox is there. And even though there is a more direct entrance to the house (maybe used for company), the family likely used the other entrance to do a cursory check on everything on their way in.

12. lonetraveler

lonetraveler Crime Addict

Yes, kind of like 'being a little bit pregnant', KWIM?

13. Cryptic

Wow, being suburban born and bred, I never realized that possibility and just presumed the main gate was the customary entrance. This strengthens the possibility that the assailant(s) had very personal knowledge of the victims:

- Apparently knew that the property was in active use at that time by the victims.

- Also knew which entrance they actually used (which to me, was not the presumed entrance).

- Might have known that the farm manager who lived by the kennels had recently been fired and would not be able to come to their aid.

Though it is possible that the assailant(s) just got "lucky" and noticed their car and followed them in through the back entrance, there seems to be an awful lot of direct "in the know".

14. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

Going to check on his Mom after bringing his Dad to the hospital probably saved his life. If in fact that's what happened.

I'd like to know why was the family at the hunting lodge that night? Was the family living there? Was that a normal thing for them at that time of year? Or was that in itself an anomaly?

15. T rex

T rex Member

Yes, you're right about all of this in my opinion. Just because hunting season is out doesn't mean you can't let your dogs run or tree one.
    In fact it's kind of cruel if you don't. The dogs are bred for this specific purpose and it will drive them crazy if they don't get to, it'll break their spirit.

I was thinking the area of the kennels may just have to do with exit strategy.

16. lonetraveler

I applaud your decision. I know how hard it was for you to do that.

Error505, shefner, momsof3 and 12 others like this.
  17. Cryptic

I have little personal experience with hunting dogs. But....

A ranch foreman told us the "Catahoula curs" on a large ranch in east Texas were working dogs used for cattle and hunting. He then told my son and I that though they were not dangerous, it was best to stay away from them and ignore them if they approached.

Likewise, a relative of mine who hunts told family guest that his birding dogs (larger type breed) kept at a friend's farm outside of town were not the most friendly and that if children especially were going to say "hi", he needed to be there.

Yet, another man I know has a professionally trained larger bird dog that is an absolute teddy bear. Likewise, I knew a man with bred, but not trained bird dogs that were extremely friendly. (so hard wired that they would get alert if one pretended to be raising an imaginary shot gun).

So.... Are hunting dogs more likely to be of the unfriendly, or friendly sort?

Would they be prone to bark aggressively at, or even attack aggressive strangers? Or, are the passive ones more common? How likely could a stranger approach the kennels of hunting dogs with out setting them off?

18. lonetraveler

This is a disgusting example of Quid Pro Quo. I wonder if they were paid off to make the evidence disappear. JMO

19. T rex

T rex Member

I wouldn't consider them to be friendly dogs like some other types and some of them can be ornery but I also wouldn't call them mean either. It depends a lot on their individual personality, some are friendly enough.
    I don't think they would attack anyone in most cases. As far as barking ( or baying) goes they will bark non stop at just about anyone including their master. That is until they realize their about to go hunting then sometimes they'll shut up. Sometimes.

Edit: I just wanted to add that most of the above depends on whether or not the dog is running free or chained up or in a lot. Theres a big difference in the overall way the dog acts.
    It also has to do with how much hunting they've been getting to do. The more restless they are the more they bark.
    I don't know that much about bird dogs, just bloodhounds and beagles mostly.

20. MoeInVA

MoeInVA Well-Known Member

Same. I had an impossible bail decision a couple years ago. So hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.