SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #3

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

There have been recent posts about the M's work and social connections with LE in South Carolina.

Given the recent internal investigations involving another case with the A. Murdaugh family, plus a re-opening of a case because of information gleaned from the current Murdaugh murders investigations, I can see why the public may be less likely to trust LE's non-disclosures as being possibly corruptive in nature.

I can also see why some may hold onto early reporting like the below "person of interest" description given early on to AM. Any change could be looked on as suspect as it's only family mentioning an "iron-clad alibi". AJMO

"Cops reportedly said early on that Alex was a “person of interest” in the investigation of his wife and son’s deaths, but now say he was not. The family has claimed he has a rock-solid alibi: He was visiting his dying father in the hospital at the time of the killings."

Inside the toxic Murdaugh family of South Carolina

2. shefner

shefner Member Since 2008

@stmarysmead I tried to find a way to reach out to you as well, so that I might thank you for your responses.

I, too, value the various views that are brought to the table during the sleuthing process.

3. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

Ditto!

4. genuineusa77

genuineusa77 Well-Known Member

I would love to read the affidavit on the housekeeper. How do you trip and fall and die? The only thing I can think of that happening is falling down a flight of stairs and maybe carrying wash.

5. Hair of the Dog

Hair of the Dog Well-Known Member

The good news is that it is virtually impossible to tamper with the EVI; it is the black box of the vehicle, separate from the GPS. Even better, it is data with no personal or political bias. LE can compare the EVI data to cell phone data, know where to look to collect CCTV footage to show for example who may have been driving a particular vehicle at a particular time.

6. LetsSolvIt

LetsSolvIt Well-Known Member

A few pages back someone posted the settlement, which included $5000 for medical costs. (I’m on my phone and its very tedious to try to click back to find it.) That seems low when you start talking hospitals so I wondered if her expenses were just for ER. I think it would have been more if she had been admitted. Ergo, she maybe died in ER?

I would like to see affidavit, too. And also wondered how to get a hold of death cert to see COD. I haven't had much experience looking for this stuff online.

JMO.

BOSCOE, Error505, windrower and 7 others like this.
  7. Snoopster

Snoopster Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a $500k settlement? My guess (which is very likely wrong) is that there was an accident (perhaps even due to a medical issue) and the Murdaugh's were close with her family and they agreed to a settlement so that her family would benefit from the liability insurance payout. The family law firm would know how to play this game as part of their regular business. I don't suspect foul play. Again, this is all pure speculation on my part.

tezi, Error505, GeorgiaRai and 12 others like this.
  8. tara83

tara83 Well-Known Member

Sorry but I don't think most teens abuse and spit on their girlfriends and have a special name like Timmy when they get drunk and out of control.

9. LetsSolvIt

LetsSolvIt Well-Known Member

From what I've read here on WS the settlement was a $500K plus $5K for medical expenses. What you suggest about the liability insurance could very well be true. There are also other thoughts about what happened, but I can offer no statements from LE or MSM for those ideas.

10. Knitty

Knitty Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, no! There is nothing normal at all about a teenager/young man spitting and slapping his girlfriend. I was never subjected to that; were you?

I raised only sons, and have never had any indication that they spat or slapped their girlfriends, and if I had, they would have had to answer to me and to my husband, and if necessary, the law. Goodness.

11. DropthePuck

DropthePuck Well-Known Member

If teens today act the way PM did, then I have zero hope for the future. Spitting on and slapping your girlfriend (or anyone, really) is completely unacceptable behavior, I don't care if you're a teen or 100 years old. I'm really puzzled that you seem to be okay with his bad behavior and think we're the ones overreacting.

12. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

I think it was a hired hit. As sometimes happens, the hitman convinced a buddy to go with him and get a cut of the money. Hence, two weapons. JMO.

13. worm

worm Well-Known Member

Didn’t he volunteer this alibi on the 911 call?

MajorHoople, tezi, Error505 and 6 others like this.
  14. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

No, he said he was gone on the 911 call, but did not say where.

15. taylorss

taylorss Well-Known Member

I haven’t looked into the housekeeper’s family’s settlement at all but I posted earlier & can repeat if only so I have something to add here - since she was their domestic employee & was injured at work / in their home, they’re almost certainly liable from a legal/ technical POV. Regardless of whether they actually did anything wrong. Also I recall that her family praised the M fam as beloved to her etc in the obit - this all made me think, whatever other shenanigans have gone on, likely not much to see re the housekeeper.

All that aside …. Is there really still nothing new in this case?? How can this be?

I guess the M family’s involvement with local LE has made this a really thorny & difficult case … but still … given their wealth & power - not to mention the noise & commotion that must’ve attended these outdoor shootings - doesn’t it seem crazy that there’s no indication it’s going anywhere ?

16. Sheila Terranova

Sheila Terranova Well-Known Member

That way the person who hired the hitman can have an honest ironclad alibi and the detectives move on to other persons of interest. The person who hired the hit didn’t need to be there at all. I agree with you a hundred percent.

17. Elley Mae

Elley Mae Well-Known Member

Wrongful Death

Wrongful death happens when somebody is killed because of another person or entity’s negligence or misconduct.

Wrongful Death

18. Valiant

Valiant Well-Known Member

Most law enforcement agencies don't have their own tow fleet. instead there are one or more vendors approved by the city/county/state/etc. for that purpose.

19. taylorss

taylorss Well-Known Member

I’ve thought along these lines too (as the case is proceeding so oddly) … but it’s hard to imagine someone hiring a hit on BOTH these victims, who seem to represent such different characters / concerns.

Many people in town might’ve hated PM MOO but MM wasn’t a spoiled, drunk, nasty teen. Likewise IMO a married woman killed at her home always raises the question of spousal involvement …. but a spouse will not normally kill his own child as well … and if he does want to go for family annihilation, he doesn’t settle for 2 out of 3.

I guess one victim could’ve been just collateral damage to the target… but if not, if all this was intentional, have to imagine it was aimed at AM & meant to send a msg or destroy his life JMO …

20. Elley Mae

Elley Mae Well-Known Member

When I mentioned this case to other half weeks ago & told of events surrounding it he said, a message was sent & received.

Jmo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.