SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #3

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sustained

Sustained Justice for Stacy

What have they done to less fortunate citizens that you have proof of or they have been charged with ?

PM is the only Murdaugh I'm aware of that was charged criminally for his actions.

Some or all of the "less fortunate" citizens benefitted from :
    • The Murdaughs putting 1000s of criminals in jail over their tenure as solicitors making the community safer
    • The Murdaughs creating jobs in the community through their various businesses
    • The Murdaughs winning settlements for some of the citizens against large corporations
    • The Murdaughs reportedly investing $ back into the community
    I would think if the citizens so vehemently opposed the Murdaughs, they would have not re-elected one of them as 14th Circuit Solicitor for all those years.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021

2. shefner

shefner Member Since 2008

In all fairness, the truth is just now coming to light so we will have to give it time. At least one case has been reopened as a result of new evidence that has materialized from recent events.

You know what they say: The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine.

3. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

Just what I've read about the ongoing investigations, it paints a picture, IMO

Edit: I will update this to include that I've never read anything but good opinions about MM and some very good ones about Buster also.

4. Sustained

True, but I'm not willing to convict the whole clan in the court of public opinion other than PM for his responsibility in the boat accident. All AM/MM are guilty of at this point is enabling a son with alcohol issues.

5. stmarysmead

stmarysmead Well-Known Member

There is also the reopening of the SS investigation that is linked by LE to the crime we are discussing. There may be no proof as any wrongdoing because there is none.

Or there may be no proof because people are afraid to come forward. In one article, a local referred to the M family as ‘the law around here” and mentioned the TV character Boss Hogg.

I might argue that the perception of inequality before the law is harmful itself whether true or not. One only has to listen to SS’s mother to see the harm and grief that perception, while it may NOT be the truth, has done to her. The ‘little bit of favoritism’ as openly reported in local media at the time of the boat crash…again intensifies the despair.

I accept your premise that favoritism has always existed and in some form, probably always will. But when it’s blatant public knowledge, in your face, it must be addressed.

The M’s may have a spotless history operating only within their excellent knowledge of the law…but when that courtroom scene described by the Island Packet became public knowledge….it made all the rumors unfortunately a little more believable.

Hopefully, this new investigation will reassure the citizens of that area…of its integrity in how it is proceeding.
    My opinions only as always.

6. Sustained

Snipped and BBM

Not to me - I need to see proof. The public can speculate all day that AM was having an affair and he had MM/PM killed, that PM pushed GS down the stairs, that PM/BM beat SS to death with a baseball bat - all of it is made up BS some by the media and some by the general public. And I have a sincere distrust of the media these days ...

7. stmarysmead

I think that when powerful people either facilitate…or even allow their loved ones to receive special handling BEFORE THE LAW, they are guilty of damaging the faith other citizens have in that process.

If others who needed to travel for work, but lost jobs over a travel restriction, lost their livelihood, their ability to support their family, how would that Island Packet article feel to them?

If some other similarly charged person had to drop out of school, undermining his future…how would PM’s treatment, as described by the Island Packet, feel to them?

I d0n’t believe that it’s “convicting the whole clan” to say that they, at the least, accepted special handling for PM.

All this is my opinion only.

I join you in your mistrust of the media. My point is that the way the boating case was handled, the fact that even in reputable media it was mocked, fed the perception that other rumors COULD be true. That may have led to this tragedy.

If everyone could trust that FACTS WOULD come out, that proof would not be covered up, we wouldnt have vigilante justice.

8. Elley Mae

Elley Mae Well-Known Member

Well if the general public can’t be trusted who will serve on a grand jury?

9. Sustained

Grand juries are presented with evidence, not rumors.

10. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

I've got to ask...wasn't that prosecutor's actions an instance of favoritism at work in open court? A court officer was stopped, waved off from doing his normal job. I find that blatant and upsetting and I don't live within the circumstances, imagine if you did. It could foster much ill will. JMO

11. Elley Mae

Elley Mae Well-Known Member

If the gp have been living for decades under the guise of a law firm being “law around here” and knowing what they have seen and heard they may see things a little differnt then outsiders.

Jmo

12. zencompass

zencompass Hope springs eternal

Thank you so much for the link to this podcast, @swedeheart !

There were good experts and news reporters on this podcast. In my opinion, they covered everything.

This is a podcast well worth listening to.

JMO

13. stmarysmead

But someone decides what is ‘evidence”…what the jury is shown and NOT shown. Any of you follow the Duke Lacrosse case, with ex-DA Nifong now relieved of his law license?

1&2&3, Marg from Oz, misgrn and 10 others like this.
  14. Sustained

IIRC, the grand jury was convened in Beaufort County while PMPED is based in Hampton County.

15. Sustained

No doubt there are cases of prosecutorial misconduct, but at some point you have to trust the process or no judicial proceedings would ever be "fair".

tezi, Marg from Oz, kimpage and 2 others like this.
  16. Warwick7

Warwick7 Well-Known Member

I am stunned!!
    Are you kidding me!!!!
    And that video!!!
    Have I said I'm stunned yet?!!

17. Warwick7

Little?

18. stmarysmead

The M’s have a home or homes in Beaufort County. One of the Investigators had attended their parties. He was eventually removed but was on the scene at critical times.

19. Sustained

Yep little - PM didn't have to wear a SCRAM ankle monitor and was able to travel to a few counties. People forget he was still facing trial on BUI charges, one of which involved causing a death.

Shadow@light, Flicka1 and worm like this.
  20. Warwick7

Bam!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.