SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #4

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

That is a good point.

In the upper south of my youth, every one I knew had a church affiliation of some sort. Likewise, even nominally religious / distantly affiliated families arranged for church funerals for relatives.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2021

2. Valiant

Valiant Well-Known Member

I guess it depends where in the south, because my experience is the decedent's clergy may officiate the funeral, but the service is held at a local stately, funeral home. The funeral homes are quite elaborate on sprawling estates.

watcher9, Hotmud62, Error505 and 11 others like this.
  3. worm

worm Well-Known Member

I think it’s both. I’ve noticed this change over the last 35 plus years. The services that take place at the graveside/funeral chapel seemed to have increase while church has dropped off. I also remember when I was really young, a lot of “visitations” taking place in the deceased persons home, which is rarely done these days.

4. LetsSolvIt

LetsSolvIt Well-Known Member

But grandpa’s funeral was in, I think Methodist, church. Maybe difference in generations. <modsnip>

5. LetsSolvIt

Well and there is usually a reception or lunch after the service, but doubt that happened here. Why provide a forum for everyone to stand around talking about the crime.

6. girlhasnoname

girlhasnoname Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Photo by Michael M. DeWitt, Jr.

Hundreds of people turned out to the graveside service held for Paul and Maggie Murdaugh in Hampton.

7. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

watcher9, Error505, kimpage and 17 others like this.
  8. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

Those can be explained that he was the family member that used his phone to locate MM's phone.

The picture that gets me thinking why was he standing over there while all the investigators were talking together is this one.

https://do0bihdskp9dy.cloudfront.ne...007ea17ed31_name_file_1280x720_2000_v3_1_.jpg

If that doesn't open right it's the picture right at the top of the article on the video, before it's started.

Solicitor releases statement on killings that targeted prominent Murdaugh family

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  9. sunshineray

I think Duffy Stone needs to recuse himself, his office, from the murders investigation.

10. sunshineray

SLED blacked out details about “forced entry” and “force used.” The agency said it did so because it revealed “details about the manner in which the crime".

I believe this with the new info saying that AM told 911 the victims were "faced down" tends to make me think they could have been tied and that was the force used, restraints. Just a thought.

I don't know how well though that jives with a shotgun wound to the chest and another through an arm into the head.

11. Hair of the Dog

Hair of the Dog Well-Known Member

Could there have been forced entry because someone broke down a door to get to PM? Or forced entry to a locked room where weapons were stored?

Maybe MM ventured to the area of the crime scene because she texted or called PM and he didn't respond, then met the same terrible fate as her son.

JMO

watcher9, Error505, Snoopster and 9 others like this.
  12. LetsSolvIt

Thanks for finding and posting this article. I guess I missed it earlier but it answered my question and more, and mentioned that the family had a reception afterwards at Moselle.

Interesting that MM’s sister spoke of AM’s devotion to MM. Certainly if there had ever been a wandering eye, a woman would confide in her sister? Just my wandering brain. OMO.

Dexxie8, MoeInVA, Error505 and 13 others like this.
  13. LetsSolvIt

Yes, agree this seems unorthodox. :confused:

14. LetsSolvIt

Through the arm makes me think he was putting his hand and arm up/out in a defensive gesture? OMO

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2021
  15. Becky Starkey

Becky Starkey Well-Known Member

I think more people are being cremated now. I know I wouldn't want to leave my loved one's body in that state that P and M were in. My guess would be because of covid they just had the service at the graveyard. I know I and my husband want to do it just like that. Hopefully we won't be murdered though. I'm from the south as well. I think this type of funeral is becoming more popular and may even be the norm before long. The high cost has something to do with it, but obviously not for the Murdaugh's.

Dexxie8, watcher9, Error505 and 8 others like this.
  16. Becky Starkey

Becky Starkey Well-Known Member

I think it's more a matter of the price of funerals and the stress of it all and all the other stress in our lives compounding together. So much easier just to do it all in one place and the obvious place would be the graveyard. Add covid into the equation and graveyard it is. Doesn't mean you can't put your religion into that if that's your thing.

Dexxie8, watcher9, Error505 and 12 others like this.
  17. Hair of the Dog

Hair of the Dog Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who finds it a bit macabre that they held the repast at Moselle following the memorial service?

Venom, InvisibleMe, Dexxie8 and 18 others like this.
  18. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

19. sunshineray

Wow, so are the Murdaughs the cover story for just People Magazine online or are they going to be on the cover in every grocery store in the country and with a title like that!

Edit: Never mind I see it, changed the title for the news stands

20. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.