SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #4

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CocoChanel

CocoChanel Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Perhaps there was a reckoning after AM’s father died, and the firm was more willing to investigate his son after that. I imagine it might be sticky trying to uncover misdeeds of the founder’s son while he was still alive. Whatever time it took to reveal, it did not begin just this month. IMHO This is a Southern Gothic real-life family tragedy.

KatzEye, TIGER0822, misgrn and 38 others like this.

2. MajorHoople

MajorHoople Well-Known Member

Alex Murdaugh releases statement after Saturday shooting, says he will resign from law firm | WBTW

"Alex Murdaugh, who was found shot over the weekend, released a statement Monday saying he plans to resign from his law firm and seek rehab.

Murdaugh was airlifted to Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah for treatment after authorities say he was found shot on the side of a road in Hampton County Saturday.

It came only a few months after he discovered his wife, Margaret, and son, Paul, had been shot to death at their family property in Colleton County. Details about Saturday’s shooting are still extremely limited. The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division is investigating"

3. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

A Corp in TX offered a ten thousand dollar reward in the murder of Missy Bevers, inside a Church, with a deadline. They did not renew it.

4. StrangerThanFiction

StrangerThanFiction Well-Known Member

Isn’t there a second Murdaugh brother who is also part of the firm? Messy!

5. shefner

shefner Member Since 2008

This case is HUGE. My goodness.

cocomod, TIGER0822, misgrn and 29 others like this.
  6. BeckyF

BeckyF Well-Known Member

Corruption all over the place. I have a feeling LE is in for a long ride.

KatzEye, TIGER0822, misgrn and 26 others like this.
  7. MemPat

MemPat Without Art the Earth is just Eh!

8. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

A law firm would almost always have a provision under which a member/partner can be voted out.

9. Luna20

Luna20 Well-Known Member

This is true, I guess for me though it’s been the combination of things. No follow up statement after the initial one, the brothers on GMA and the overall silence made it seem to be slow.

TIGER0822, misgrn, Flicka1 and 16 others like this.
  10. momsof3

momsof3 Well-Known Member

If he embezzled client trust funds - which was my first thought - there are likely angry and desperate folks out there. Those funds are often settlements for injuries which may have prevented someone from working, providing for their family. I can see someone who was unable to access what was rightfully theirs becoming increasingly angry and desperate. Add to that an “untouchability” that may have fueled a desperation that lead to violence against the mother and son (who may or may not have been the intended targets). And if in the millions it may have been more than one settlement that was embezzled. That is just MOO being in the legal field and seeing attorneys who raided trust funds. I’m buckling my seatbelt. I think it’s going to be quite a ride.

ETA - I think client trust fund may be the least “watched” vs firm fund which have oversight. They are basically savings accounts which are supposed to just sit there while a case winds to its conclusion so particularly vulnerable.

11. Oakie

Oakie Well-Known Member

Hard to think of anything but gambling debts that would put him that far into the hole.

TIGER0822, Hapworth, Flicka1 and 14 others like this.
  12. Tiff23fr

Tiff23fr Verified Expert - Cultural & Behavioral Dynamics Staff Member Moderator

This thread is reaching capacity and will close in 5 minutes.

Please continue on Thread #5

13. shefner

shefner Member Since 2008

How can someone so wealthy run through millions in misappropriated funds? This must be bigger and deeper than we first thought......

14. Oakie

Oakie Well-Known Member

When I lived in SC, there was a judge locally (not Hampton County) who died, and when the authorities began to unravel his financial accounts, they found he had embezzled substantial amounts of money from trust funds for which he was the executor. These were not awards from lawsuits, but trust funds set up to take care of minors, heirs, etc. It was a big scandal.

15. Diddian

Diddian Well-Known Member

Most sizable firms have CPA's to ensure generally accepted accounting principles are followed to ensure accurate reporting and presentation of financial condition and to ensure internal controls are implemented to protect client and partnership funds. But, I would imagine in a multi-generational family law firm, non-family partners might permit slippage of internal controls in relation to accounts involving the patriarch and leave it to the partners who are family members to decide what to push and what to let slide.

16. Tiff23fr

Tiff23fr Verified Expert - Cultural & Behavioral Dynamics Staff Member Moderator

Flicka1 and zencompass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.